INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All cover art missing from files  (Read 2752 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
All cover art missing from files
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:05:00 am »

I don't know when it happened, but it looks like the covert art for all of my music (~6000 tracks) has disappeared. I still fave the folder.jpg files, but the covert art also used to be stored in the file. Is there any way to, in a batch manner, copy the existing folder.jpg file into the files?

Also, has anyone else seen this or know why it might have happened?

BTW, all of my tracks are lossless WMA.

Thanks.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
Re: All cover art missing from files
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 06:52:27 am »

Actually, similarly to the problem in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40897.0, I think that maybe the cover art is still in my files, MC simply isn't finding it. The reason I think this might be true is because when I open the files in WMP it can show the art.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 07:38:20 am »

I don't know when it happened, but it looks like the covert art for all of my music (~6000 tracks) has disappeared. I still fave the folder.jpg files, but the covert art also used to be stored in the file. Is there any way to, in a batch manner, copy the existing folder.jpg file into the files?

Also, has anyone else seen this or know why it might have happened?

BTW, all of my tracks are lossless WMA.

Some additional info could help to understand what happened. For example:

What did you do before the cover art images disappeared? Did MC crash?
What are your cover art options in Options > File Location?
Are the images missing also in the Cover Art visualization in Playing Now or only in thumbnail views?
What does the "Image File" field show? (You can add this column to a details view.)
Have you tried to do update tags from files? (Check that the "store in file tags" cover art option is enabled and try this with some separate test files.)
Have used the "update for external changes" Auto-Importer option?
What is your OS and MC version?

You mentioned that you have used WMP besides MC. WMP may do unwanted things without asking permission. For example, if it happens to download file data it can replace an existing higher resolution folder.jpg with the "stamp-sized" MS provided cover art. I have no idea how it handles embedded cover art in WMA files.

IMHO, the safest and most convenient MC option is to use external "artist - album.jpg" besides the album files or in a separate folder. Then WMA does not alter MC's cover art files.

Actually, similarly to the problem in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40897.0

Osho didn't mention that his cover art disappeared. MP3 and WMA has quite different tagging system. Possibly his problem is caused by the the filenames or other tags and is not related.

I think that maybe the cover art is still in my files, MC simply isn't finding it. The reason I think this might be true is because when I open the files in WMP it can show the art.

It is possible that WMP displays the folder.jpg images or the other hidden image files it creates in the file folders.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 08:04:33 am »

IMHO, the safest and most convenient MC option is to use external "artist - album.jpg" besides the album files or in a separate folder. Then WMA does not alter MC's cover art files.
I've been saying this for years, don't store anything inside the files.

Oh! MC can handle it just fine, the problems start when something else is looking at the files.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 09:38:34 am »

Osho didn't mention that his cover art disappeared. MP3 and WMA has quite different tagging system. Possibly his problem is caused by the the filenames or other tags and is not related.

My cover art has not disappeard from other files. I have cover art problems for only these files that I just imported. I changed the tags in the files with Indic characters and renamed the files with the Indic characters. Then, I assigned cover art to it (Cover Art -> Paste from Clipboard) and then the cover art never showed up in MC12 for these files. My guess is that my files use Indic characters for tags and that's why maybe it uses different tags and hence the problem.

I still have cover art on all my other albums.

thanks,
Osho

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 10:34:38 pm »

Some additional info could help to understand what happened. For example:

What did you do before the cover art images disappeared? Did MC crash?
What are your cover art options in Options > File Location?
Are the images missing also in the Cover Art visualization in Playing Now or only in thumbnail views?
What does the "Image File" field show? (You can add this column to a details view.)
Have you tried to do update tags from files? (Check that the "store in file tags" cover art option is enabled and try this with some separate test files.)
Have used the "update for external changes" Auto-Importer option?
What is your OS and MC version?

You mentioned that you have used WMP besides MC. WMP may do unwanted things without asking permission. For example, if it happens to download file data it can replace an existing higher resolution folder.jpg with the "stamp-sized" MS provided cover art. I have no idea how it handles embedded cover art in WMA files.

I don't remember anything particular happening before I noticed the covert art missing problem. It is possible MC crashed, but I really don't remember for sure.

My cover art options are: "In the same folder as the file (as Folder.jpg)" and "Also store image in file's tag" is checked.

The images are missing in Covert Art visualization, but thumbnails are fine.

When I view the Image File field it is empty. Also, if I right click on a track and go to the Cover Art menu, the "Copy to Clipboard" option is greyed out, so MC definitely thinks there isn't covert art in there.

I just tried "update tags from library" and it said it updated 1 file with 0 errors (I only tried 1 file as a test), but the "Image File" field didn't change.

I have't used the "update for external changes" option in a while, but I can't be sure that this problem didn't begin when I last ran it. I just tested re-importing a single folder via Windows Explorer's Media Center context menu and that did seem to fix the problem. I then tried an auto import from within MC and that had no effect. So, then I tried the context menu import on my whole library and that seemed to fix everything. I don't know why the auto import and the context menu one don't work the same way.  :D

I'm running XP SP2 with MC 12.0.240, although I upgrade reasonably frequently, so the problem almost certainly happened initially with an earlier version. I'm guessing about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

If I notice the problem happen again I'll try to pay attention to what I did before that might cause it.

As for WMP doing strange things, I realize this is a possibility, but I believe I've set it not to. Besides, I don't generally use it, only did this time as a test outside of MC. Why would I use WMP when I have MC.  ::)

Thanks.

scthom

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 03:01:59 am »

Also make sure the option->File Location->Cover Art->Also store cover art in file tag is selected.  I've found this one overrides the library options one.

farmore

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 03:22:44 am »

Same problem over here. All existing cover art is there, but no new imported albums can be assigned album art.
Pages: [1]   Go Up