INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: convert thumbnails?  (Read 2140 times)

jehrico76

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
convert thumbnails?
« on: June 09, 2007, 04:16:49 am »

Right now, most of my thumbnail images are embedded in the file.  I want to move all of these thumbnails so that the image is pulled from an image file in the folder that contains that albums songs.  I've changed the settings so that this happens.  If I copy the thumbnail from an album, then paste it right back on top of itself, the image is saved the way I now want.  However, I've got 1700+ albums, I really don't want to do this for each and everyone.  Is there an automated way to do this without just getting new album art from the internet (as I don't always get the right thumbnail)?

thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: convert thumbnails?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 07:32:31 am »

MC12 can do that only as you explained.

However, I would like to suggest a different approach.

JRiver has recently created a new cover art database for MC12 users. This database allows the users to upload and download cover art. It is now the primary source for MC12 cover art lookup.

You could do the following:

1. Select the files
2. right-click > Cover Art > Submit to Internet.
3. right-click > Cover Art > Remove Cover art
4. right-click > Cover Art > Get From Internet. (Remember to untick the "Also store image in the file's tags" option before doing this step.)

The database is based on the Artist and Album info so these library fields need to have correct values.
If an album already has an image file in the same or higher resolution in the database the uploader skips to the next file.

The submit process reserves MC and it can take a couple of hours or so. You may want to do it when you don't need to use MC. Also, you may want to try this with a few albums first.

I have submitted over 2000 album covers so far. Your contribution would be much appreciated.

EDIT

I assume you have up-to-date backups of your media files. If not, I suggest backing up before proceeding. (Just in case something goes wrong...)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jehrico76

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 08:53:11 am »

MC12 can do that only as you explained.

However, I would like to suggest a different approach.

JRiver has recently created a new cover art database for MC12 users. This database allows the users to upload and download cover art. It is now the primary source for MC12 cover art lookup.

You could do the following:

1. Select the files
2. right-click > Cover Art > Submit to Internet.
3. right-click > Cover Art > Remove Cover art
4. right-click > Cover Art > Get From Internet. (Remember to untick the "Also store image in the file's tags" option before doing this step.)

The database is based on the Artist and Album info so these library fields need to have correct values.
If an album already has an image file in the same or higher resolution in the database the uploader skips to the next file.

The submit process reserves MC and it can take a couple of hours or so. You may want to do it when you don't need to use MC. Also, you may want to try this with a few albums first.

I have submitted over 2000 album covers so far. Your contribution would be much appreciated.

EDIT

I assume you have up-to-date backups of your media files. If not, I suggest backing up before proceeding. (Just in case something goes wrong...)

I've been submitting album art for a couple of years.  The problem I find is that somewhat too often someone submitted before me incorrect album art.  I've done something similar, but someone else's stuff preempted mine.  If you leave the process unattended, you have to go album by album to verify they are all correct.  I'm pretty anal about my tagging, I don't submit if there's any question about how something should be labeled.  I may just end up doing this one by one.

This may not be the most appropriate place to post a request for the next version of media center, but while we're on target...one thing I'd like to see is a log that you can check after you do a large album art batch job (i.e. what albums changed art and what didn't) or some kind of results roll up.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 09:01:00 am »

I've been submitting album art for a couple of years.  The problem I find is that somewhat too often someone submitted before me incorrect album art.  I've done something similar, but someone else's stuff preempted mine.  If you leave the process unattended, you have to go album by album to verify they are all correct.  I'm pretty anal about my tagging, I don't submit if there's any question about how something should be labeled.  I may just end up doing this one by one.

JRiver's new database was introduced with MC12 only a few months ago. Before that MC tried to find cover art from various public Internet sources. I think many MC users are quite anal about correct tagging and most of the submitted cover art files are correct.

If you have up-to-date file backups you can always extract cover art manually if some albums did not get correct cover art. After you have submitted your own cover art the lookup should be able to find all album covers from the JRiver database without trying other less reliable sources.

For extracting the embedded images outside MC you could try Mp3Tag.

EDIT

This may not be the most appropriate place to post a request for the next version of media center, but while we're on target...one thing I'd like to see is a log that you can check after you do a large album art batch job (i.e. what albums changed art and what didn't) or some kind of results roll up.

These are good ideas. There was some discussion about similar functionality during the MC12 beta cycle. I hope JRiver can add new selection features to the next MC version.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up