INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 will not support iPhone [MC now supports iPhone]  (Read 2610 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
MC12 will not support iPhone [MC now supports iPhone]
« on: July 17, 2007, 10:51:46 am »

We're not going to support the iPhone at this point.  It's not clear whether we'll be able to get sufficient access to be able to do what we need to, so we'll wait a few months and see where it goes.

Sorry, but Apple decided to shut the door.

Cheburashka

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC12 will not support iPhone
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 10:16:45 pm »

Try harder, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

scthom

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 01:24:06 am »

Try harder, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

That was particularly helpful ;)

Seriously, what do you want them to do?  Corporate espionage to get Apple's secret access codes?  You can only do so much with closed proprietary hardware.  Apple's being secretive on purpose -- they can control the experience and they can try to lock in users.  No surprise, really.  Give it some time and things will loosen up.  They always do.  You have to expect that from Bleeding-Edge stuff.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 02:52:03 am »

Seriously, what do you want them to do?  Corporate espionage to get Apple's secret access codes?  You can only do so much with closed proprietary hardware.  Apple's being secretive on purpose -- they can control the experience and they can try to lock in users.  No surprise, really.  Give it some time and things will loosen up.  They always do.  You have to expect that from Bleeding-Edge stuff.

Steve Job's style is not to be open for any partner development. Not only do they not help, they do as much as possible to make it difficult for anyone to succeed on their own. While I've always questioned this philosophy, I think it is especially important to Apple with iTunes.  iTunes is the portal to the multi-media store business.  They want all iPod & iPhone customers to use iTunes.

So... the JRiver team has done an excellent job of breaking the code in the past. Remember, the iPhone requires a fundamentally different architecture for syncing.  Let's back off & give them some time.  BTW: I have 5.5g iPods, iPod Shuffle, & an iPhone. For now I'll use iTunes for the iPhone and MC for everything else.

An option to consider: maybe it would be easier to attack the problem from a different angle.  How about sycing the MC library with the iTunes library?  That way we could manage all of our media with MC and fall back to iTunes for syncing. Not perfect, but workable.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:42:59 am »

That's what I did.  I synced my music to a folder and then imported it into iTunes to sync.

I predicted this would happen.  It's locked down.

Another idea: remember that Apple will most likely be releasing an update in 2-12 weeks for iPhone and at that point, things could be reworked so current work may be less helpful.  They said they may add disk support and at that point, it may behave more like an iPod so it could be easier to work with.

Cheburashka

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:31:47 pm »

No corporate espionage.  Just watch what happens over the USB connection and reverse-engineer the protocol.  No biggie.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC12 will not support iPhone [MC now supports iPhone]
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:15:12 am »

MC now has basic support for both Touch and iPhone, so I'm going to lock this thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up