INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPnP server with Squeezebox  (Read 13746 times)

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
UPnP server with Squeezebox
« on: July 23, 2007, 07:51:09 pm »

Well, since no one has responded in the Slim Devices forum, maybe I will have better luck posting this here...

Has anyone been able to get the Squeezebox to work as a client for J River Media Center's UPnP server?

I got as far as getting it recognized by SlimServer, and I can browse the MC library and playlists, and I can send a list of songs to the Now Playing list on the SB. But then all it does is go through each song showing (Connecting...) and then (Connection timed out) on the SB display. I have enabled media sharing in Windows Vista and set the device to be allowed.

Can anyone help? I would love to get this working.
Sue

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: UPnP server with Squeezebox
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 08:47:35 pm »

Last time I looked at this, the Squeezebox didn't support UPnP. I could be wrong, it might have changed since then (I would like to know if true).

j

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 09:00:48 pm »

Yes, it appears they added support for Squeezebox as a UPnP client in SlimServer 6.5.3. I don't know if it's documented anywhere. I found out from some posts in the forums over there. I had to fiddle around with the advanced options in MC before SlimServer could browse the library, but what I described above is as far as I got.

Currently I have MC advanced UPnP options set to:
X Shrink large images
X Include Session ID
X No server header
X Filter international characters
X skip child count
Everything else unchecked.

I don't understand most of these options, and just came to them by trial and error.
Sue

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 09:45:36 am »

Which version of MC are you running?

j

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 10:03:35 am »

Sue

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 11:06:28 am »

Do you have a UPnP server that it does work with? Can you send me network sniffs as described here (to gateley @ jriver.com)

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Sharing_Plug-in_Debugging_Hints

Thanks

j

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 08:30:02 pm »

Well, this is pretty crazy. I finally had a chance to do what you asked, but it took me forever to get Squeezebox to be able to see Media Center this time and the network sniff file ended up being over 22 MB. I closed everything down and attempted it again, and about had a heart attack when I actually heard music. It worked!

Do you still want my sniff files? I saved them from the first unsuccessful attempt, and also from the successful attempt. They are 22 and 25 MB but I can upload them somewhere if that's too large for email.

I need to reboot my computer to do something else, so I hope I can get it all working again after I do that.

Is there any way to refresh a smartlist when you are browsing via UPnP client?
Sue

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 10:58:44 pm »

Hi Sue, glad it's working for now. Can you post the settings here?

If it stops working again, check the conversion settings - you may be trying to play an unsupported file type.

To refresh a smartlist, you just have to go up the tree at least two levels (or to a different branch) and then back.

j

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 11:28:42 pm »

Settings are the same as what I posted above. All my music is MP3, so I don't think it was file type preventing it from playing before.

Thanks for the refresh tip.

Do play counts get updated when using UPnP?
Sue

mirdle

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 11:45:16 pm »

Mesue -- I'm potentially very excited by your posts.  Let me get this straight, you can browse your music like you normally would in MC and when you select to Play an album the music is actually played through your Squeezebox?

Thanks.
Mark.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 12:53:32 am »

Mark, you have access to all your MC audio view schemes and playlists, but you are actually browsing it through the SlimServer UI.

Sadly, it's a little flaky yet. I had the SB seeing the MC server and it worked fine for several days, but once in a while they lose site of each other and I haven't quite figured out the trick to getting them talking again, so it can be a bit frustrating. Also, I've only been able to queue music from the SlimServer web interface. When I browse with the remote it doesn't take me to that last level in the heirarchy where I need to be to press play or add.
Sue

mirdle

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 01:37:07 am »

Thanks for the quick reply.  Is there anyway to use MC to select files to play and also get playback of those files on the Squeezebox?

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 01:42:19 am »

Sue

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 04:25:17 am »

Mark, you have access to all your MC audio view schemes and playlists, but you are actually browsing it through the SlimServer UI.

This is genuinely exciting.  I hope to explore this in more detail soon.

Mark

mirdle

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 06:22:19 pm »

Thanks for the link!

)p(

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 05:13:14 am »

Well, since no one has responded in the Slim Devices forum, maybe I will have better luck posting this here...

Has anyone been able to get the Squeezebox to work as a client for J River Media Center's UPnP server?

I got as far as getting it recognized by SlimServer, and I can browse the MC library and playlists, and I can send a list of songs to the Now Playing list on the SB. But then all it does is go through each song showing (Connecting...) and then (Connection timed out) on the SB display. I have enabled media sharing in Windows Vista and set the device to be allowed.

Can anyone help? I would love to get this working.

This seems to work now with sc7 and mc .329. At least for mp3, i have not added flacs to mc yet so i only tried the few mp3's i have.

upnp settings advanced:
x Include SessionID
X Allow Visual Content

Shame that my nokia n800 does not see the slimserver upnp client else I could control my squeezebox with it over upnp like you can do with a roku.

peter

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 11:44:49 am »

Thanks for letting us know Peter...

j

jmx

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 10:13:01 am »

Can someone post a list of all the steps to make this work? (It's not clear from the above.)

I've turned on the options as listed above and started the UPNP server, but I can't get the squeezebox to see any of the MC content.
I've used the "Tune in URL" feature of the slimserver web interface to send requests to the UPNP port, and MC does indeed get them.

btw, I'm running MC 12.380 & SlimServer 6.55.

thanks!
-jmx

)p(

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 02:01:22 pm »

Can someone post a list of all the steps to make this work? (It's not clear from the above.)

I've turned on the options as listed above and started the UPNP server, but I can't get the squeezebox to see any of the MC content.
I've used the "Tune in URL" feature of the slimserver web interface to send requests to the UPNP port, and MC does indeed get them.

btw, I'm running MC 12.380 & SlimServer 6.55.

thanks!
-jmx

.380 wont work, upnp is broken in that version.
I am not sure about ss 6.55, i tried it with the sc7 beta.

steps
1. Set upnp options advanced and only flag the two items:
x Include SessionID
X Allow Visual Content
2. Start upnp server
3. Reboot your sb3
4. Browse on the sb3 to my music (or music library depending on the beta version, ie what used to be called browse and they now seem to rename everyday) and you will find the upnp server there.

peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up