INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio stutter/jitter/skipping on new PC (Vista Ultimate x64)  (Read 2536 times)

jimbolla

• Recent member
Audio stutter/jitter/skipping on new PC (Vista Ultimate x64)
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:16:15 pm »

Help. I just built a new PC and am experiencing jittering/stuttering issues with audio file (MP3, APE, and FLAC) playback in MC. Windows Media Player does not have the issue with the same files. I disabled antivirus (Avast) and that seems like it helped a little but not fully eliminated the problem. I changed the buffering to the max setting in playback options. My old PC did not have this problem with the same files with a similarly configured MC.

System Info:

Media Center Registered 12.0.301 -- C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows Vista 6.0  (Build 6000)
AMD Unknown 3011 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 4194 MB, Free - 2558 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.6000.16512 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.6000 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.6000 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.6000 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GSA-H54N  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\Windows\Media\tada.wav

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H54N   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:13  MaxSpeed:13  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
  AudioScrobbler (Active)

I am running Vista Ultimate x64 with an Athlon XP dual core with 8GB of RAM. OS/software/media are located on C: which is a RAID 5 array of 4x 500GB 7200RPM SATA2 drives. CPU usage during playback is between 5-15%. Sound card is an onboard Realtek, for which I am running the latest drivers.

Any other suggestions for tuning to eliminate the would be greatly appreciated.

jimbolla

• Recent member
Re: Audio stutter/jitter/skipping on new PC (Vista Ultimate x64)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:32:17 pm »

I've uninstalled Avast completely and switched to AVG and that has had a significant improvement to my skipping problem. I still get the occasional skip but now only when other applications are doing something (like compiling a project in Visual Studio), but not even that bad. Lesson learned: Avast sucks; AVG is better.

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 11:07:08 pm »

You can try increasing your buffer size a bit too. That should help eliminate the problem completely.

C.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 01:32:04 am »

I've had this problem on occasion in Vista when using Direct Sound for playback. (Tools>Playback>Audio>Output Mode). Try Wave Out.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 03:44:00 am »

I've had this problem on occasion in Vista when using Direct Sound for playback. [...]

I've had the same problem. Problem was solved switching to "wave out" for me to. Bug?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 03:48:47 am »

I believe the problem lies squarely with Vista.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectSound#Windows_Vista

MajorTomKY

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:31:38 am »

I'm have horrible stuttering etc from audio in both mp3 and avi. Spent weeks working on this. Getting to hate Vista BUT I have discovered what at least on my system was interfering...

The wireless networking device driver when disabled allowed all avi & mp3 to play fine. Of course the thousands of such files I play are all on my network ;-) I also read a discussion which pointed out that SATA drivers were also known to interfere. These suggestions showed up at the Vista forum at MS. This hints that while one fix might work for me another person with similar symptoms might find some experimentation with driver disabling could discover other driver interference. Then again might just disable the wrong thing and decide to put XP on your machine ;-) By the way the wireless driver that was messing me was for a DWA-130 D-Link wireless N usb...

It's worth a read to check out MS forum

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?pageindex=3&siteid=1&postid=1196678&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=0

WARNING they are getting pretty testy by page 4 ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up