INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Media Center library has almost no songs  (Read 1283 times)

icanrule

• World Citizen
My Media Center library has almost no songs
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:10:32 pm »

I loaded up J. R. Media Center today to find that their were no songs listed in the database but 3.  The 3 that I downloaded from a podcast yesterday.  I restarted computer and still no luck.   I then went to my other network computer and found that it had the same problem.  It would also freeze on me whenever I tried to click on a button. 

I upgraded to the new 12.000.308 to see if it would fix the problem.  Now it's showing 125 songs from 17 different albums.  But I know I have more music.  When I try to import again It tells me that the database has 1000's of songs but it's not showing them.  What can I do to fix this problem?  I really want to listen to some pearl jam really badly. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about this issue?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: My Media Center library has almost no songs
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:24:49 am »

have you been experimenting with the access control feature, or possibly, have you recently tried editing the default audio view scheme?

For access control:
Click on "View" in the top toolbar, then again on "Access Control". If it's enabled, disable it. Does your music return?

For the Audio view scheme:
right click on "Audio" and click on "Edit view scheme". Step 4 of this dialogue box should read Media Type: Audio with possibly some "~sort=[blah],[blah]" stuff afterwards. If it does, then that's not the problem so click on the cancel button. if it does not, could you let us know what "Step 4" contains?

if it's neither of these two, then I think it's likely that you have a corrupt library in which case you'll need to restore your library from a backup made before the corruption set in. If you haven't made library backups, don't fret as MC makes its own automatic backups for you. One step at a time though, let's deal with other possibilities before rolling back the library itself.

-marko.

icanrule

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 09:28:34 pm »

I don't have much experience with Access Control or the Audio View Scheme.  I went into Access Control and it is unchecked.  I also checked the Edit View Scheme and it does mention Media Type: Audio with the other stuff.  So I exited right out of there as you suggested.

Maybe I can explain to you about my setup.  Maybe it will help with what might have happened. 

I have a home network setup.  I store the music files on a drive on my main computer along with the library.  Multiple computer access this information.  The day before I noticed this problem I was having network issues.  My wireless network was in and out while I was trying to download the podcasts.  The next day I had the problem. 

I think you may be right with the corrupt database because with the network drive being in and out while doing the podcasting something could have easily been corrupted.  But I await to hear what you advise next. 

icanrule

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 10:14:45 pm »

I just did a check and I have about 600 songs all of a sudden.  It's still not the few thousand that I once had but their is a lot of pearl jam stuff.  It's a start but I still wouldn't mind getting all the data that has been lost. 

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 12:19:53 am »

Maybe you have auto import going but it's just very slow?  Sometimes it can take a while to import files on certain network shares or drives...although it's very fast for me.

icanrule

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 08:55:09 pm »

Sorry for the delay.  I cheated a bit.  I did backup from a old file and everything is back to normal.  I don't know what I lost but I have all my Pearl Jam back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up