INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: restore's gone  (Read 1613 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
restore's gone
« on: August 30, 2007, 02:17:39 pm »

reformatting laptop for fast usage\to start over cleaning it out. and i have had to do a system restore but for some reason i dont have any restores left for my version 12. how come for those of us that reformat our computers often to keep them clean\fast have to use up our restores?

i think every version i have had with you guys ive had to email you for more reg codes\licenses, because i do reformats often. to keep my machines running fast, and also download lots of programs and delete them. so by reformating it keeps machines faster.

question. how come when we restore and you email us saying its been restored, and then ya give us the attatchment it only lasts for 14 days? is there away for us who have buyed this can have a restore that lasts forever?

or is it a matter of security that you wont allow us to keep our keys? just curious:)

but anyway.. could i please get a few more keys(in case i have to restore again) i just got my server to work so now i can finally use my laptop when im on the road :D

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: restore's gone
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 03:11:44 pm »

It is a security matter. However, JRiver has normally resetted the restores if the user has a valid explanation.

After you have formatted and reinstalled the OS & MC you don't need to restore immediately - especially if you are not 100% sure about the system stability and may need to start from the scratch. Just use the trial period first. The trial is not crippled. Actually, since you can use ten restores in a 12-month period (each restore is returned a year after it was used), you should be able to reformat and install a vanilla OS & MC as often as you wish without running out of restores.

Personally, I have never reinstalled an OS on the following PCs that we have in active use:
- Windows 2000 Pro desktop, installed 2001
- XP laptop, installed 2002
- XP desktop, installed 2003
- XP laptop, installed 2006

I use Acronis True Image for complete copies of the boot drives so I can easily revert to an older fully configured copy of the system (including all installed programs, updates and licenses). This is a huge time saver when something goes wrong. Reinstalling programs and updates would take a couple of workdays at least. Naturally I back up all user data separately.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:23:30 pm »

ok that makes sense alex. i didnt know that trials were just as good as the full version.

and acronis i do have and just got into about 3 months ago, i only have it on my custom built computer\the server not on my laptop, i will have to work on that to as well, to save myself with these restores i guess.

so after 30 days will you offer my my restore then?

thanks alex.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:09:57 pm »

so after 30 days will you offer my my restore then?

Not me, but perhaps someone from JRiver if you ask politely and explain the situation. Did you run out of restores already?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 04:12:59 pm »

Just let us know when you run out.  They keep coming back, 12 months after you've used each.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:31:07 pm »

They keep coming back

Michael Myers Keeps Coming Back Too

Listening to: 'Tubular Bells' by 'Mike Oldfield'
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 04:43:36 pm »

yes i ran out. i had my custom comp that i had reformatted back in spring, and ran into issues, and like all my programs i installed them all and put licenses's in right away so i didnt have to go back and do it, but j river is only program i own that the licence has this restore feature, other programs i have bought i just own it, never have to worry about running out, or making them work again.

so yes i screwed up by not having a image backup software at the time. (but i can't afford every thing at once.. if i could id sell my once $4000.00 reciever and buy the new $4995.00 one i want. lol)

and i am restoring my laptop as i mntioned so i will not have full version\unlocked of jriver cause i reformatted that with out imaging it :(

so People at JRiver.. im asking Politelly could i get some restores back please.
I love your program ,and of all programs i have ever bought this is the one i use Multiple Times Daily! and also the program that is always on and gets shown off to friends when they come over :) (thought i should suck up a little bit maybe that will help me too)

thank you.

if i may ask though(for my own knowedge\curiosity). in regards to security issue, you guys do have my\others email address's don't you? so there for you guys should know that im a legit person and have spent my hard earned money on your software? and im assuming you can see that i have bought every version since? so if you\your servers or how ever jrivers licenses my copy it can see i have payed for it? right? why would it have to give me a set number of restores. if my comp crashes, i uninstall cause of compatibility issues, or just want to uninstall it whatever etc.. and need to reinstall, there should be no issues? your guys computers (how ever it works on yer end should see\know they he payed for this, license his software)....no?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:51:45 pm »

You're good to go.

Alex is correct that you can extend your licenses by using the trial period.

Then the install key you get is good for 14 days before you need to use a restore again.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 04:54:02 pm »

thank you..
well i will have to start doing that then. so i dont run into this issue again.. thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up