INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CCCP Playback Problem with VMR9 and MC12  (Read 1390 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
CCCP Playback Problem with VMR9 and MC12
« on: September 04, 2007, 10:32:12 am »

I've just updated one of my computers to the current build of CCCP, and now my colors are all screwy in all video.  The videos play back fine in Windows Media Player and MPC, but in MC12 they are all bizarre and super-saturated.  Here's a screenshot:

This does NOT happen with my other machines (all of which have ATI video cards), and it did not happen with older builds of CCCP.  However, it also does NOT happen in all the other players I have on my system, even with the new CCCP.  For example, the same video looks fine in Windows Media Player 11 and in MCP.

I discovered that disabling VMR9 mode (switching back to Legacy renderer) made the problem go away. However, this is an undesirable fix because the issue occurs with ALL media types handled by FFDSHOW, and in MC I'd have to change them one at a time.

I tracked it down to this change that was made in CCCP with the current build, I believe:

NVIDIA Issues

Owners of 8800 series video card seem to experience driver issues with YUY2 color space (CCCP sets ffdshow to output video in YUY2 for any video format). The upper right corner of the image looks like it's flipping, or something similar. The solution is to enable ffdshow to output video in YV12. To do this, go to ffdshow video decoder configuration -> Output -> place a check on YV12 -> Ok. The future CCCP packs (after 2007-02-22) will have YV12 enabled by default.

I went into the FFDSHOW configuration options and disabled YV12 mode, and my colors all went back to normal immediately.  So, that solved it for me.  However...

This machine is a fairly "out-of-the-box" install of MC12 and CCCP, with Nvidia drivers.  It took me a while of investigating to solve the issue, and more importantly, ONLY MC12 was affected.

Why do I need to make this change for MC12 and no other media players, including Windows Media Player (which is obviously not coded specifically to work around this issue)?  I think you need to investigate what is different in MC that is causing this.  My video card is a Nvidia 7800GTX (last generation's high-end card).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: CCCP Playback Problem with VMR9 and MC12
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 10:41:12 am »

I also found this page when reading through the CCCP Wiki the other day: http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=Media_Players

It's a list of "approved" and "bad" players.  MC12 isn't on the list at all, one way or another.  I'd recommend someone from JRiver ask on the CCCP IRC channel (or if you prefer the web forum, but they recommend the IRC channel on their wiki) what they would need to do to get MC12 "approved" and added to the list.  If nothing else, it'd be one more place where it could be advertised.  They also might be able to make some recommendations that could help to solve problems like the one above.

IRC Info: server - irc.rizon.net channel - #cccp

Web Forum "Suggestions" Board: http://www.cccp-project.net/smf/index.php?topic=9.0

I'm happy to do it myself, but you might get more helpful responses if it comes from JRiver staff directly.  I actually asked back on Friday on the IRC channel, but then my IRC client crashed and I never got to see the response.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 12:24:59 pm »

I've just updated one of my computers to the current build of CCCP, and now my colors are all screwy in all video.  The videos play back fine in Windows Media Player and MPC, but in MC12 they are all bizarre and super-saturated.  Here's a screenshot:

This does NOT happen with my other machines (all of which have ATI video cards), and it did not happen with older builds of CCCP.  However, it also does NOT happen in all the other players I have on my system, even with the new CCCP.  For example, the same video looks fine in Windows Media Player 11 and in MCP.

I discovered that disabling VMR9 mode (switching back to Legacy renderer) made the problem go away. However, this is an undesirable fix because the issue occurs with ALL media types handled by FFDSHOW, and in MC I'd have to change them one at a time.

I tracked it down to this change that was made in CCCP with the current build, I believe:

I went into the FFDSHOW configuration options and disabled YV12 mode, and my colors all went back to normal immediately.  So, that solved it for me.  However...

This machine is a fairly "out-of-the-box" install of MC12 and CCCP, with Nvidia drivers.  It took me a while of investigating to solve the issue, and more importantly, ONLY MC12 was affected.

Why do I need to make this change for MC12 and no other media players, including Windows Media Player (which is obviously not coded specifically to work around this issue)?  I think you need to investigate what is different in MC that is causing this.  My video card is a Nvidia 7800GTX (last generation's high-end card).

Glynor,

I got the same issue,  where exactly do i have to disable this YV12 Mode ??

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 01:36:58 pm »

Start --> Programs --> CCCP --> Filters --> FFDSHOW Video Decoder Config

Switch to the Output "tab".  Uncheck box circled below, and hit OK:

You have to restart playback for it to take effect.

Pages: [1]   Go Up