Re: Password protect MC
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 04:01:51 pm »

click View > Access Control

enable access control
click on the advanced button
in the search field, type -[media type]=audio,image,video
click on the change password button and set a password
click OK and all files should then be hidden
to view them, click on View > access control, enter the password, disable access control, click OK.
it's not ideal as you'll need to remember to enable access control each time you close MC which I'd imagine getting really old, really quickly, but there you go.
Have you looked at 3rd party programs out there that allow you to manage application usage?

-marko.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 09:09:57 pm »

I used access control but I think I'm locked out now.  If I open it up, it asks for a password.  How do I reset it?  It seems strange how access control works because it seems to set a password and keep it...which is tough to remember.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 03:58:02 am »

benn, if you're comfortable with registry editing, go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 12\Properties
look for the "AccessControlPassword" value.

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 01:08:27 pm »

I really like the access control feature, but I wish it were easier to control.  Would it be possible to add a button or something in theater view that allows you to enter the access password from there?  My password is all numbers so I can enter it from my remote.

benn600

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 01:39:54 pm »

That is exactly what needs to be added.  The ability to enter or leave the access control mode.  This is obviously a fundamental requirement to make access control useful and theater view is the future so it's gotta be able to be controled there!

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 07:13:07 pm »

Maybe a sign in system would be good. When you sign in you can make as many changes as you want to files and stuff (deleting, editing and so on). But when you sign out no changes can be made. There could be different profiles with different playlists and different imported artists.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 08:55:58 pm »

I'd like a time out and then when someone starts using theater view (remote, keyboard, mouse) it would require users to login by selecting their username (arrow up and down) and then entering a numeric (or alphanumeric w/keyboard) password of 4 or more characters.  That would be VERY neat and useful.  This procedure could simply load a different library--one for each user.  So when adding a library, there could be the ability to password secure it.

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 08:44:45 am »

I can see where having to sign in with a username and password would be helpful, but for me all that's necessary is to lock certain content from being visible to others.  Most of my media I would like to have available to whomever is using the program (primarily in theater view), but it would be nice to have an additional namable media button (i.e. Audio, Video, TV, Weather, News, Other) that when selected would prompt the user to enter a password.  It's already possible to assign which media types to lock by category (genre = home video, for example).  If one could set up multiple access control filters, each with their own password (or common password) it might serve my purpose as well as Benn's?  Maybe also an option to include a access control button in theater view for each?  Probably easier said than done, but I think something along these lines would greatly enhance the access control feature practicallity and usability.

benn600

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 09:54:48 am »

My interest provides more than just access control--which alone would be an amazing feature addition and very useful.  I was looking at theater view as a complete family system where each family member would have a database on their computer--but stored on the server.  So then what happens when they go to the HTPC?  Right now I have a separate database and only by a complicated system get ratings to show up for each user.  So I can create highly-rated song playlists for each user.  If theater view allows users to open their own database--from a menu with optional password--then the HTPC database would be unnecessary.

I guess I just need to ask how other people run their HTPCs?  I want the same media available on all MCs (basically everything).  When someone goes to their HTPC, don't they want their playlists available to them?  How do other people handle this?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 11:11:08 am »

I guess I just need to ask how other people run their HTPCs?  I want the same media available on all MCs (basically everything).  When someone goes to their HTPC, don't they want their playlists available to them?  How do other people handle this?

I'm the same as you.  I want all my different copies of MC on my different machines to match as closely as possible.  I actually do also have a few "secondary libraries" that are for special purposes, but as far as my "main library" I want it the same everywhere (and it is, mostly).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

benn600

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 11:45:41 am »

With auto-import, everything is handled great except for DVD folders.  And I store ratings in unique tags in every file so they do transfer.  But there are still missing playlists and such that are unique to a user's library. So I'm not sure how to solve that without some additional functionality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up