INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evaluation doesn't import Apple Lossless Files  (Read 1753 times)

Haydnsimon

• Recent member
Evaluation doesn't import Apple Lossless Files
« on: October 03, 2007, 04:14:55 am »

I have ripped my CD collection into Apple Lossless format for listening to on my IPod Video.

I was hoping to be able to use Media Center 12 for managing my huge MP3 and Apple Losslees collection on my hard disk. However the evaluation copy of media center doesn't seem to import .m4a Apple Lossless files. Without this feature this product is useless for me and I will have to try and find another media management solution. So does MC12 support AAC or not?

HaydnSimon

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Evaluation doesn't import Apple Lossless Files
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 04:33:12 am »

The trial version of MC12 is fully functional. It is only time limited, not crippled.

The Apple Lossless format (ALAC) is not open and MC12 must use external software for decoding it. (BTW, Apple Losless is not an AAC codec. It is a completely different format. Apple uses the MP4 container file format with the m4a filename extension for both encoding formats.)

If you have installed Apple's QuickTime, MC12 uses it for decoding m4a/ALAC. Some important features like Replay Gain, Internal volume, DSP, file converter and visualizations are not available with QT decoding.

It is also possible to install DSP-Worx ALAC DirectShow filter. If the DirectShow chain is properly configured it should be able to decode ALAC files (it works for me with FDDShow & Haali splitter). This makes possible to use many of the features that are not available with QT. More info about configuring DirectShow is available here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Haydnsimon

• Recent member
Re: Evaluation doesn't import Apple Lossless Files
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 05:31:14 am »

Thanks for the speedy reply. It is a real nuisance that the IPod doesn't support FLAC unless you change its operating system. Of course this means that now I have ripped my 700 CD collection into Apple format I am locked into buying IPods which is of course what Apple is interested in.

Anyway, your reply solved my immediate problem and I am now going to continue my evaluation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up