INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing MC libraries  (Read 2275 times)

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Syncing MC libraries
« on: October 27, 2007, 12:51:45 pm »

Multi-user (particularly ratings and play statistics), multi-client (LAN, WAN and off-line) and a substantial web interface (a la Slim server) is what I want, and in IMHO what MC's market is. It is not to compete with BeyondTV, SageTV, MythTV, etc. I would be even happier if MC partnered with Sage and allowed me to access my MC audio server through the Sage interface (like I was doing for a while with Meedio).

What I want is for my iPod to sync seamlessly to the same library I share with my wife and son (and their iPods), but without my ratings, playlist and play history affecting theirs (and vice versa). What I want is for my central music server controlled by NetRemote and a web interface to intelligently sync with my laptop or other computers. What I want is for my MC server to sync my MC client on my carPC so that I can have access to my library in the car while keeping my ratings/history and favourite podcasts synced.
Many ideas expressed here but its the syncing part that caught my attention.

I was under the impression that syncing between iPod & MC was seamless already ?..provided the tracks on the different ipods were already in MC and it was MC that populated them in the first place.

Which made me wonder about syncing an MC library on the laptop with MC on the PC. Thinking of MC on the laptop like a another iPod, offline playing away from home, i'm not seeing why this can't be done if it works with the iPod already, which is just another library of sorts anyway.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Syncing MC libraries
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 06:07:06 pm »

True -- you can setup any drive or network path (i.e. laptop) as a device in Options > Handheld.

There's also a Sync Library feature in File > Library for syncing your library (content and information) across the internet.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

winniew

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 11:05:39 am »

True -- you can setup any drive or network path (i.e. laptop) as a device in Options > Handheld.

There's also a Sync Library feature in File > Library for syncing your library (content and information) across the internet.

I would expect that also Rating-changes and playcounts made on the laptop sync back to the master-PC.
(As it does with my iPod).
That does not work for me.

1. Option "Handheld" is good when you have a large library which doesn't fit on the laptop. But it doesn't synch the playstats.

2. Library sync works only for complete libraries. It also doesn't sync the playstats.

Or do I miss something?

Winniew

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 12:02:38 pm »

Can you do the following:

1)- Create a playlist with which to sync your laptop

2)- clone your large library

3)- in the newly cloned library, remove the unwanted material (all that is not in the laptop playlist) so that the size is now appropriate to sync with the laptop

4)- Sync the Library so the Laptop now matches and includes Playlists, etc.

5)- return to the main library

6)- use the playlist and the Handheld Sync function to update Ratings changes from the laptop

Cumbersome perhaps, but since it is pretty much a one-time deal it may be acceptable
. . . the game is rigged

winniew

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 12:33:54 pm »

Thanks AoXoMoXoA,

I think your procedure with the Handheld-Sync will not work (only with the rating).
It will not sync the "Last Played", "Last Skipped", "Number plays", "Skip count"
because these data are stored in the Laptop-library (not in the audio-files).

(For me this Playstats are essential because my homemade "Radio"-Smartlists refer to it.)

Or do you have a workaround for this scenario too?

Winniew

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 01:00:15 pm »

I expected that occaisionally sync'ing the laptop back to the main library (after it is all set-up) you would not really be transferring files (unless you chose to) but will update playback statistics in the main library from the "handheld" (laptop). Am I mistaken?
. . . the game is rigged

winniew

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 01:35:47 pm »

I expected that occaisionally sync'ing the laptop back to the main library (after it is all set-up) you would not really be transferring files (unless you chose to) but will update playback statistics in the main library from the "handheld" (laptop). Am I mistaken?
I also expected it that way.
But for me it does'nt work.

1. Syncing the library resets the playback statistics (on the laptop) to the playstats of the Master-PC. --> no solution
2. Handheld-Option sync (from the Master-PC) only transfers "changed rating" files to the laptop but does not read
   the playstats (from the laptop) to the Master-PC.

I think it actually is not possible...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 04:19:49 am »

That's a pity as one expects those things to get sync'd back to the main library.

So it only works one way at the moment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up