INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this support?  (Read 122573 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Is this support?
« on: October 29, 2007, 09:36:50 am »

It is.  Here's why -- it works -- and most members who responded to our poll agreed.   However, several people said they had initially found it difficult to locate support, and others said that they didn't like forums, so I want to explain why we use a forum and to encourage you to try it. 

Jim Hillegass
CEO

Getting Started
Maybe all you need is to be pointed in the right direction.  Start Here.

Why do I need to register?
I know.  I don't like it either, but if we don't do that, we get all kinds of graffiti and spam on the forum.  Registration allows us to eliminate most of it.

I don't get the terminology -- threads, posts, boards, forum.  Can you explain?
A post is a single message from a forum member.  Once you register and log in, you can use the "New Topic" button in the upper right corner of the index page to post a new message, but please read a few posts and try a search first.  Often that will solve your problem.  And don't forget the FAQ, near the top of the board.

A thread (or topic) is a series of posts on the same subject.  A question, followed by an answer or two, for example.

Common questions usually have open threads -- "How do I sync my device", for example.  You can read the thread, then add a new comment or question by using "reply".

A board (or a message board) is a list of threads (or topics).  It has an index with a list of the subjects.

A forum is a collection of several boards.  This forum has a board on JRiver Media Center 17, one on Media Center 16, another on TV, and so on.  Try to find the right board to post your question on by clicking one of these:  Interact Forum > General > Media Center 17.

You can customize your profile by clicking on your name.  Your signature will appear on every message you post.  Your avatar is any small image you would like to use as your "logo", but you don't have to have one.

How do I ask a question?
Please scan the subjects of a page or two of the board first.  Often you'll find your question has been asked (and answered).  Then search using a couple of keywords.  Search is one of the options above.  Search also has an advanced option you might find useful.

We have a very good FAQ -- a list of Frequently Asked Questions.  Sometimes other software or hardware can cause a problem or even a crash.  Here's a partial list.

You can find many answers in our Wiki.

If you can't find an answer or an open thread to use, then use the option called "New Topic" in the upper right corner of the board's index page to start a new thread with your question.

PLEASE use a subject that describes the problem.  Questions with subjects like "Need Help" or "This Sucks" won't often get answered.  Avoid multiple questions in the same thread unless they are related.  Keep the post concise, but provide any relevant details (full version used -- 18.0.78, for example) and steps you've taken.

What if I don't get an answer?
If you don't get an answer in the first 24 hours, post a reply to your own question.  This is called a bump and it will bring your post to the top again.  Consider using the "modify" option to change your subject or to edit your question. 

If your subject is accurate, and your question is concise, and you still don't get an answer, it usually means that nobody knows the answer. 

No hablo ingles.  Je ne parle pas l'anglais.
Tu puede escribir en espanol.  Vous pouvez écrire en français.  (Merci bien, Cmagic.)  You can also paste a link into http://translate.google.com .

What about shy people?
Stick your chin out there and go for it.  Ask any question you feel like asking.  It doesn't matter if you cant spel or if your English is worse than my (non-existent) Spanish or French.  If they laugh at you, we'll remove all the vowels from their next post.

Why don't you have any phone support?
We don't use a call center staffed by people reading from scripts.  The questions are answered by our developers and many of the advanced users.  Often the users know more about how the program works than many of the developers. 

When you find a knowledgeable person whose answer has helped, try reading some of their other posts.  Click on their name, then click on "Show the last posts...".

How can I find out more about the forum?
There is a link at the top called "Help".

How can I get help with my license?
Please see my signature for the link to the License page.  It's also available in the FAQ and on most pages by clicking "Purchase".

If you need to post a question, PLEASE do not post your Registration Code or Install Key.  Doing so may void your license.

You can restore 10 times in each 12 month period.  If you run out, let us know.

Have you heard the one about the rabbi, the priest, and George Bush?
No, but if you think you've got something fun to share, please do so.  We're always looking for a laugh.

But mark it "OT: Rabbi, Priest, and Bugs Bunny...." so people know it's Off Topic.

Why don't people like me?
I know how you may feel.  I get blasted from time to time.  Often I deserve it.

Posts that begin with "This is really ****** " or "Why the **** doesn't " won't earn you any sweetness and light points here.  In fact, your post may be removed.

We try to keep the place clean and tidy.  We appreciate any help you can give us.  So when you're all done with your post, just before you send it, try re-reading it and see if you can ac-cent the positive and e-liminate the negative ("this is so annoying", "I'm sick of").  It helps. 

Why are there so many crazy answers to simple questions?
Ouch.  I've done it myself -- for fun -- maybe too often.  We come together here from all over the world.  Not everyone shares the same sense of humor.  Sometimes offense is taken.  Usually none is meant.

Enjoy your time here.  It's a nice place.

Thanks,

Jim

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: Is this support?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 09:49:13 am »

Anyone see anything important that's missing above?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 09:55:08 am »

I'd maybe add a bit more emphasis on the importance of the Subject line in the "How Do I Ask A Question" section.  So often when I look back, the threads that go unanswered are poorly named.  First impression means a lot when I'm choosing what threads to spend my time on.  If the subject line is something like "generic problem number 14,982" then I'm not even going to open it up.

I also really agree with the idea from the poll thread to improve the "noob-resources" that are available.  Unfortunately, for most of us advanced users, it is so second nature that spending time writing up Wiki entries is difficult and unrewarding.

I had the idea way back to make some training videos.  I think that'd be really helpful, but it is time consuming.  I'm still willing to do more in this area, but it'd be nice to have some script-writing and topic-targetting type help.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 09:58:43 am »

A lot of negativity seemed to be borne out of hurt feelings - perhaps say something that will desensitise people a little from sarcastic comments, and perhaps make it clear that mildly fun-poking replies are just part and parcel of a forum and not necessarily from people representing J River.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 10:14:26 am »

Thanks prod and glynor.  I made a couple of changes.

gappie

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 10:29:08 am »

nice. i like the tone.
maybe something for people who are not comfortable using english and are afraid to make a fool of themselfs. :)
same for people who are afraid that their question is stupid.

just two thoughts.

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 10:47:46 am »

I don't know if this is in topic or not, but capturing a video that highlights features and the process of configuring Media Center would be very beneficial.  I would consider myself an advanced user, but every once in a while there are screenshots of views that I don't recognize.  Showing some of the great view configuration options would help give me more ideas for certain areas.  Here's a list of things that you could highlight:
  • Syncing with a handheld
  • Creating Views
  • Changing Views
  • Ripping a Disc
  • Various Tagging Features
  • Podcasts

For example, WindowBlinds has a 12 min video that demonstrates their product.  I found very informative when I wanted to know what all the program could do.

edbro

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 10:49:38 am »

....and are afraid to make a fool of themselfs. :)

You get used to it after awhile. Trust me.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 10:56:54 am »

for people who are not comfortable using english

That's me!  :)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 11:16:22 am »

What about some visual helps like:

1) Top Ten posts most viewed
2) Top Ten post most discussed
3) Top Ten anything

Grouped by topics where topic woud be some specific keyword like ripping, synching, playback etc.

dcwebman

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 12:57:46 pm »

The wiki was not mentioned. I would think you would want to get to the point where common questions and answers are in the wiki so that when someone asks one, you can directly point to there. Plus the wiki has information that the forums do not. I would think that should go under "How do I ask a question?"
Jeff

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 01:53:57 pm »

I think this is good. As this is an absolute beginners guide to forums, bringing the wiki in may add to confusion.

If you are defining thread, board etc, then perhaps define 'signature' in relation to your reference to license queries.

I think the first question should be along the lines of: I have a problem with MC. How do I ask a question/get support? Answer: you post a question on the board, register, etc and you have those answers below as you have already written. Plus you could include your intro text about the poll and introducing yourself.

It doesn't matter if you cant spel

This is intentional, right? :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 02:05:32 pm »

I don't think this will address some issues that users brought up, but I don't have a problem with it now, so

I sometimes don't understand what the big deal is, all this ranting and raving.

I am however going to do what gateley did, and in my case ask sue what she would do if she had a problem (besides ask me).

She is not a savvy computer user by any means (that's my job I guess).
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 02:30:51 pm »

maybe finding out what jiminkansas66205 needs in a support system may help evolve this in something more user friendly for the no so computer literate.

it seems his frustration is escalating.

sometimes you may need to put your self in a persons shoes to see if they fit just right.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 02:38:55 pm »

I did have a comment, with a forum you get messages updated when someone posts and you refresh your screen.

there could be a java chat for this MC community, where if someone (a User) was helping someone else (another user) they could easily join them in chat where help maybe more forthcoming.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 02:42:13 pm »

Chat wouldn't preserve the conversation, which is a big part of the value of a forum.  One answer can help many people.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 02:46:45 pm »

Chat wouldn't preserve the conversation, which is a big part of the value of a forum.  One answer can help many people.

true
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 03:29:00 pm »

If you are defining thread, board etc, then perhaps define 'signature' in relation to your reference to license queries.

I think the first question should be along the lines of: I have a problem with MC. How do I ask a question/get support? Answer: you post a question on the board, register, etc and you have those answers below as you have already written. Plus you could include your intro text about the poll and introducing yourself.

I agree with this.  It should be the first thing the user would want to see.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 03:36:56 pm »

I think the first question should be along the lines of: I have a problem with MC. How do I ask a question/get support? Answer: you post a question on the board, register, etc and you have those answers below as you have already written.
I just looked at re-ordering the topics, but it's hard to tell someone how to ask a question without having first defined post, board, topic, and registration.  It could be done.  I just don't see that it improves the answer.

I added myself to try to personalize the message and let them know how important we think the subject is.

I used your other suggestion about signature.  Thanks.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 03:53:16 pm »

Some additional suggestions:

1) Keep the post simple and concise. Generally people will not spend the time to read a wordy post to figure out what you are asking.

2) Do not mix multiple questions (unless they are tightly related) in a single thread. Doing so increases the probability that it will either not be answered or will only be partially answered. Generally multiple questions should have multiple threads.

3) Do not expect an answer if you add your question as a post in another persons thread.  I'm not saying you should not do this. Especially on an active (hot) thread this may be the best place. But there may be many questions inside this thread that are not the same as the main topic - so it's not realistic to expect a response.

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 03:55:47 pm »

I just looked at re-ordering the topics, but it's hard to tell someone how to ask a question without having first defined post, board, topic, and registration.

It is a bit python and egg - difficult to call. Im assuming that the eventual subject line will be different? Currently it has the right MC board light hearted tone but for anxious potential first time posters probably needs to be a bit more straight faced Id say.

Adding your personal introduction is perfect - and its not just boilerplate as you actually do apppear on the boards. A unique selling point!

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 06:18:21 pm »

I really enjoyed reading Jim's first post--it is a nice place--moment of flashback through the months on Interact.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 08:21:06 am »

I think this is pretty fantastic, Jim.

(nd  thnk y shld rmv ll th vwls n  pst ccsnlly... Jst fr gd msr.)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 08:50:41 am »

That made me laugh so hard I cried a little.  Thanks Jim.   ;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 02:55:53 pm »

(nd  thnk y shld rmv ll th vwls n  pst ccsnlly... Jst fr gd msr.)

What?

Are You Renting That Keyboard?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 03:03:39 pm »

If they laugh at you, we'll remove all the vowels from their next post.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 04:57:51 pm »

I asked sue.

She had no clue how to resolve a problem with MC if she had one.

I had her look under help

I explained Interact was a forum, where you can get help\support.

She Suggested That Under Help Was

"Interact\Support Forum"

She Also Had No Idea What A "Wiki..." Was, And Would Not Click On It.

I Agreed With Her The Labels Under Help Could Be Improved To Help New Users Get Support If Needed.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 05:22:24 am »

With the risk of repeating myself - the forum, the active contribution from experienced users and the general helpfulness of the community are the most significant reasons why I use this product. [I do spelling & grammar checks too...]

Vorgod

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 04:32:49 am »

Hi
while your are at it... could you please explain how to insert thumbnails/insert image in posts. I have often wanted to use that option, but i don't know how!

regards

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 05:29:00 am »

Salut Jim !

Vous pouvez ecrivez en francais.

Vous pouvez écrire en français  ;)

Great forum primer by the way,

Cheers,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 05:47:11 am »

Dear Jim,

(Merci bien, Cmagic.)

Il n'y a pas de quoi / You're welcome.

Christian

Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2007, 12:40:19 pm »

John Gateley was absolutely wonder and so very patient in helping me
solve my problem.  Your support is great.

Skylar

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 09:41:00 am »

I added a pretty picture of the New Topic button to your post Jim.  We've had a rash of people who can't figure out how to make a new post lately.

I'm skeptical that they'll find this too, of course, but I made the graphic for someone, and figured why not.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2015, 09:42:18 am »

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up