INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jrmc comment tags  (Read 4059 times)

xezzy

jrmc comment tags
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:27:05 pm »

Everytime i write tag (to file) using jrmc, it creates additional custom field like "COMMENT MEDIA CENTER:...". How can i disable this?
And one more thing. How can I delete/view/edit default fields? For example i want to repleace COMMENT MEDIA CENTER: ALBUM ARTIST   with ALBUM ARTIST. I've tried to create my own field, but its not possible, because field named Album Artist already exists, and i want keep the name.

Xezzy :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: jrmc comment tags
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 02:46:51 pm »

You can disable ID3v2 tag writing in Plug-in Manager > MP3.

We don't recommend it.  Extra fields are stored in a manner compliant with the ID3v2 tag specifications, so it shouldn't be any problem.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

xezzy

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »

And what about deleting 'artist album' or any other standard fields? it is possible?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 03:36:35 pm »

And what about deleting 'artist album' or any other standard fields? it is possible?

You can't delete stock fields.  You can make any new ones, or edit the display name of existing fields.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

xezzy

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 06:29:31 am »

Yeah, thats a problem... :(
But eaven if i could create custom field called 'album artist' (but off course i cant because we already have standart field with this name), and i want to write it to id3tag, it actually writes 'COMMENT MEDIA JUKEBOX:ALBUM ARTIST = the beatles' not 'ALBUM ARTIST = the beatles'.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:33:24 am »

Unfortunately the ID3v2 standard does not have an "Album Artist" tag frame. Media Center, which was probably the first program to handle the album artist concept, uses a multiline comment frame system for "Album Artist" and other custom tags. Some other programs have started to use other tags for saving the album artist info (for example, "TXXX: Album Artist" or the "TPE2" aka Band/Orchestra tag).

From time to time it has been requested that MC should be changed to use the TXXX frames instead of mulitiline comments for its custom tags. Both systems are "legal" according to the ID3v2 standards but currently the TXXX frames have wider support.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

xezzy

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 08:14:49 am »

Yes, that what i was asking for, ty for ur replay Alex and Matt :) My mp3s have TXXX album artist field. How can I use it with jrmc?
And one more thing, is there a way to disable writing tags like comment media jukebox: tool etc.? But i do want write album, artist fields etc.

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:56:53 pm »

Hi,

I am not sure of the etiquette of replying to older discussions, but I thought I would here as I seem to have the same question being posed. I must admit, I am just a simple end-user. I find a number of threads with technical discussion, but I don't find the ultimate question answered: "what menu items do I click on?" Having spent considerable time reading the manual, wiki and other threads, I post here only as a last resort.

Some Background:

I've created several custom fields for myself, and I created them to be common across a number of different music-file types (my collection is FLAC 70%, MP3 25%, WMA 5%). Among these fields I created for myself are 'albumartist' and 'discnumber'.

These fields do show up properly in MP3Tag and DBPoweramp. I can also see these fields under file 'Properties' in Windows Explorer. However, they do not appear in Media Center. I cannot see my personal tags under Action Window-->Tag. Moreover, for example, I went to Customize Current View-->Columns to Show-->Add; then I entered Name-->discnumber, Expression-->[discnumber]. It doesn't work. In the new column "discnumber", all I see is the text "[discnumber] for every single file.

My Question:

What do I click on in order to tell Media Center:
1) I have a field called 'discnumber' in my files.
2) Please display it ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

VBrook

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 01:34:31 am »

My Question:

What do I click on in order to tell Media Center:
1) I have a field called 'discnumber' in my files.
2) Please display it ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

VBrook
Which is a little different from that of the thread starter, so you might find this broken out into a thread of its own later on.

First you need to create the library fields in your MC database, then tell MC to populate those fields using the information held in the files.

To create the library fields:
Click on: tools > options > library and folders > user fields > add field.
You will be presented with a dialogue which you fill out as shown below.

It is crucial that you name the fields exactly as they are named within the file tags.
I've shown the "save in file" option selected, obviously, it's not critical, just a choice for you to make. (You can follow the same steps as above later and click on existing fields to edit them if you change your mind)
Once done, OK your way back out of options.

to populate your new library fields:
Select all files involved, right click, hover over 'library tools', and click on 'update library from tags'

to see and use your new fields:
Right click in the tag action window, hover over 'also show' and pick your new fields from the list,
and/or
right click on a column header, hover over 'columns' and pick your new fields from the list,
and/or
right click on the view scheme in the tree and choose 'edit view scheme'. Add your new fields to 'step 1' to have them appear as a view scheme pane above the list of files.

Enjoy :)

Note:
MC has default fields for [discnumber] and [albumartist] called [disc #] and [album artist] respectively.
If you would like to migrate your custom tag data across to the default MC fields, you can use the very intuitive 'move/copy fields' tool found by right clicking on selected files, library tools > ....
If you only want to copy the data, you might find it easier to use the tag window...
Make sure you can see the MC fields in the tag window, select files, click to edit the field in the tag window and type in =[discnumber]
When you press enter, the [discnumber] data will be copied over to the [disc #] field.

This Thread should help you understand how MC handles [Album Artist] and [Album Artist (Auto)] if you would like to learn more.

-marko.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 03:33:28 am »

... I've created several custom fields for myself, and I created them to be common across a number of different music-file types (my collection is FLAC 70%, MP3 25%, WMA 5%). Among these fields I created for myself are 'albumartist' and 'discnumber'.

These fields do show up properly in MP3Tag and DBPoweramp. I can also see these fields under file 'Properties' in Windows Explorer. However, they do not appear in Media Center. I cannot see my personal tags under Action Window-->Tag. Moreover, for example, I went to Customize Current View-->Columns to Show-->Add; then I entered Name-->discnumber, Expression-->[discnumber]. It doesn't work. In the new column "discnumber", all I see is the text "[discnumber] for every single file...

In addition to marko's answer, it might be possible to create a system for mass importing your special tags to MC. Depending on the file format and the particular file tags it may be a one-way road, though.

To be able to help I would need to get sample files of each format. I uploaded a small zip package here (1.1 MB). It contains three untagged audio clips - one in each mentioned format. Please tag the files with your system, pack the tagged files in a zip, 7z or rar package and make them available online (you can use the Rapidshare service if you don't already have some other suitable place).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 10:34:02 pm »

I can't thank you all enough.

I loaded the files up in MP3Tag and added fields %albumartist%, %discnumber%, %totaldiscs%, and %tapeop%. I believe the percentage symbol is just a convention of MP3Tag, and I therefore assume the actual field names are as listed, but without the percentage symbols: albumartist, discnumber, totaldiscs, tapeop. Case doesn't seem to matter, as they appear in different cases depending on where I view them from within the program.

In Windows Explorer, I navigated to the files and checked the properties for each. In my setup, music file properties are displayed via DBPoweramp. Both the FLAC and MP3 files show the appropriate fields, including my custom fields. The WMA shows no tag information, which is strange. To further check, I loaded up the files in Windows Media Player. The WMA displays fine. All three files show "Album Artist". None of my custom tags appear, but I don't believe WMP has the functionality to show them. The FLAC tag is missing 'year', but FLAC is not native to WMP, and I am using a special plugin within known bugs. Basically, (in some form or another) all of my custom tags are saved in the three files you sent.

I did try loading these files into MC, and followed marko's very clear and helpful directions. However, I can't get the custom tags to appear in the column display. Moreover, if I select any one file and click on Action Window->Tag, none of the custom tags appear. MC doesn't seem to know that they're there.

Here are the files: http://rapidshare.com/files/119216487/8s_samples_VBROOK.zip.html I also took the liberty of taking screen shots of everything I described, and these are also included in the folder I uploaded.

Just for context, I'm a musician, and I have a studio at home (non-commercial). I think MC would be a great way of organizing my collection of finished tracks. For that reason, I'm really interested in custom fields, and that's why I included "tapeop" here. Also, embedding the fields/data within the files themselves seems to be the ideal way to go, in principle.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

VBrook

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 12:22:58 pm »

You can disable ID3v2 tag writing in Plug-in Manager > MP3.

We don't recommend it.  Extra fields are stored in a manner compliant with the ID3v2 tag specifications, so it shouldn't be any problem.

Actually Matt, it is a "slight" problem for me anyway. For example, my Pioneer DEH-6900UB indash head unit has a USB port. If I have tracks ripped with MC on a thumb drive plugged in, the head unit has the ability to read the Comment tag. However, it reads the COMMENT MEDIA CENTER tag(s) first, not the actual MP3 COMMENT tag. I know that this is a limitation of the head unit, but thought you might like to know anyway.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 04:09:33 pm »

I did try loading these files into MC, and followed marko's very clear and helpful directions. However, I can't get the custom tags to appear in the column display. Moreover, if I select any one file and click on Action Window->Tag, none of the custom tags appear. MC doesn't seem to know that they're there.

I assume you mean that the custom columns are empty after you have added them to a details view (you need to add the created user library fields to the displayed columns or to AW > Tag separately).

This happens because the displayed tag names may be (and usually are) different from the actual file tag headers that are written inside the file. Unfortunately there are no commonly accepted standards for writing custom tags to the files. Programs may use various tagging styles and in addition the chosen tagging style may vary from a file format to another.

I tested your files and indeed it is possible to import your custom tags to MC, but as I predicted, it is a one-way road. MC will use different tags when it writes these tags to files.

The only format that could be handled with MC's tools directly is FLAC, so I decided to solely use Mp3tag for copying your custom tags to MC compatible tags.

Here are my step by step instructions.

1. Create two new user fields in MC:

You can edit an existing field if you have a field that is not exactly correct:

2. Download the new "MC tagged" sample files from Rapidshare. I added MC compatible tags:
http://rapidshare.com/files/119384419/8s_samples_MCtags.zip

Import the files to MC and verify that all four tags are correctly imported. "albumartist" should appear in MC's "Album Artist" field and "discnumber" in "Disc #". The two other tags should appear in your new user fields.

3. Drag the new sample files to Mp3tag, open and close the extended tags window and save the tags once. This will make Mp3tag aware of the MC tags.

I recommend using the ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 MP3 tagging option in Mp3tag unless you have a specific reason to use one of the other options. It provides the best compatibility with MC (and with many other programs & devices):

3. Create three new Actions in Mp3tag -- one for each format

Here are the details of each action. Reproduce the field names exactly as written in the screenshots:

FLAC (you need to copy only these two tags. The other two are supported by MC):

WMA:

MP3 (the disc number tag is supported by MC):

4. Test the Actions with some test files. You should process each file format separately (tick only the appropriate Action).

5. If everything works fine you can mass process the files with Mp3tag.

If you have already imported the files to MC without the new tags you can quickly update your library data by doing: right-click > Library Tools > Update Tags (from files).

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 01:56:06 pm »

Alex B,

I've printed out and read through your post. I think I'm finally understanding this tagging scenario. I'm going to follow your directions step-by-step tomorrow, and as they're clear as a bell it should be quite straightforward.

Meanwhile, just wanted to acknowledge that I'd received your post.

Cheers,
VBrook

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 02:20:16 pm »

Thanks. You're welcome.

I hope my instructions are correct and clear, but don't hesitate to ask if you have any futher questions or something does not work.

Be careful when you define the Actions. Each letter and space character is important. E.g. there must be a space character between DISC and # in DISC # (FLAC), but not in JR/DISC# (WMA).
Pages: [1]   Go Up