INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename folders  (Read 4155 times)

Higginz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm Swedish
Rename folders
« on: November 13, 2007, 01:38:58 pm »

Hows the best way (using MC) to rename all folders in computer library if I want [Artist]\[Year] - [Album]

instead of [Artist]\[Album]

I've tried 'Rename files from properties' - but didn't have any effect.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rename folders
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 04:30:20 pm »

Rename Files from Properties would be the ticket.  What settings did you use in that dialog that gave you no effect?  Did you realize you have to select the individual files that you want to move/rename before you use the tool?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:52:31 pm »

[Artist]\[Year] - [Album]

Where was this at?

In Directories Base Path, Rule Or Filename?

And Was "Directories" Checked
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 08:05:32 pm »

I'm a bit confused as well. In all the time I've been using MC I've always been able to retain my directory structure when upgrading to larger HDs. This time I consolidated what was on 2 200g HDs onto one 500g and restructured the directories in the process.

I want to make sure I'm doing this right before I start:

Find and Replace:   Find What: D:\Artists & Albums
                               Replace: D:\Audio 1\Artists & Albums

In the confirmation dialog it says changing the filenames will move the files on the disc. Am I right in assuming that since the files are already in there new location, the only thing that will happen in this case will be an updating of the library and the tags? This first directory contains 25k files.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 08:15:39 pm »

That's correct, assuming that ALL of the files selected before you do the Find and Replace action are "broken" (meaning they are "not found").  If any of them are actually IN the D:\Artists & Albums location, they will be moved.  In other words, if you already moved them (using Windows Explorer rather than MC) and you're just trying to fix MC, then you're right.  If you haven't moved them yet, then MC will if you change the Filename tag in any way.

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 08:27:55 pm »

Excellent! Then I guess I'm ready to give this a go. Thanks Glynor.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 08:34:58 pm »

No problem!

Higginz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm Swedish
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 10:03:30 am »

Rename Files from Properties would be the ticket.  What settings did you use in that dialog that gave you no effect?  Did you realize you have to select the individual files that you want to move/rename before you use the tool?

Here's what I changed:

Then I selected all files and chose 'Rename files from properties'.
But nothing happened.
I may have missed something.

gappie

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 10:07:24 am »

did you check the box before directories in the form you get when renaming files from properties?
just a thought.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 10:17:04 am »

Here's what I changed:

Then I selected all files and chose 'Rename files from properties'.
But nothing happened.
I may have missed something.

Look in right-click > Library Tools > Rename From Properties instead.

The setting you changed is where new files will go.  It does not affect "Rename From Properties".
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 10:21:05 am »

Yeah... You're in the complete wrong place.  That dialog in options is where you set it for NEW rips from CD.  So, you do want to set it like that there, so that when you rip new files, they'll end up named properly.

However, to change what you already have, you need to USE the Rename Files from Properties tool.  You can use this to change a file or files to whatever you want.  Separating the Rename Files from Properties tool from the Options dialog allows a lot more flexibility if you want different naming conventions for different types of files.  So, for example...

I have my audio files "named": M:\music\<Artist>\<Album>\<Track #> - <Name>
But my TV Shows are: M:\video\<Genre>\<Artist>\<Album>\<Artist> - <Name>
And my Movies are: M:\video\<Genre>\<Name> - (IF EXISTS <Artist>)

If all you could do was specify one naming convention for audio and one location for video, this wouldn't work for me at all.

So... To change the files you already have.  First select them.  I would actually strongly suggest you "practice" on a handful before you do them all.

Then, right-click --> Library Tools --> Rename Files from Properties and make it look like this:

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 10:24:28 am »

In making that screenshot, I discovered that something wiggy is going on with the Rename Files from Properties tool.  More in a minute after I test further.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 10:25:57 am »

In addition, [Year] is not one of the default library fields. Higginz, do you have a user field with that name?

The fields [Date] , [Date (year)] and the preconfigured calculated field [Year - Album] are possible default fields.

Edit

glynor uses the [Year - Album] field in his screenshot.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 10:29:16 am »

The flelds [Date] , [Date (year)] and the preconfigured calculated field [Year - Album] are possible default fields.

Yeah... I meant to mention that as well.  For your purposes, using [Year - Album] would be the ticket probably.  That would apply to the File Location entry as well.  You'll need to fix that or your new rips will be all weird.

As far as the wigginess, it seems to have been fixed with build 372 so I'll let it go.  With 371 it tried to apply the changes even if you clicked cancel, and the number of files it said it was going to change was way wrong too (I had selected 4 files, hit cancel, and it popped up a message saying it was going to change something like 380 files).  Luckily saying NO to the second dialog seemed to stop it.

gappie

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 10:33:44 am »

i just moved an album using rename from properties with [Artist]\[year] - [Album] and it worked fine.

Higginz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm Swedish
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 11:43:28 am »

You guys, thanks very much for your help.
I feel a bit dumb when realizing that I didn't pay any attention to the right-click 'Rename files using file properties' dialog box.

I made some more changes before executing the big renaming proceedure. I also did the new changes in the 'File location' options so that they are both the same now.

Alex B>> Yes I do have a user field called 'Year'. It all went very good.

However......I earlier had the option of storing the "folder.jpg" in the folder.
And now when making the folder name change - I was left with loads and loads of folders containing only the folder.jpg image. So it took a while to manually remove those..... :-\

But now I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Again, thanks guys for your help!

Higginz

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 12:57:24 pm »

... And now when making the folder name change - I was left with loads and loads of folders containing only the folder.jpg image. So it took a while to manually remove those..... :-\ ...

First:
Glad you made it with the help of all these guys.

Second:
Your point about "Rename..." and "folder.jpg" is true. No show-stopper, but not solved: You have to move every single "jpg" or at least to create them new (if you have them stored insinde the files).
Yep, with a little manual work it can be done. So it takes a while... and a while.. and...

Fex

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 01:14:56 pm »

I sort of figured he was in the wrong place
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 01:22:33 pm »

MC can move image files as well. They just must be imported to access them all at once.

Higginz could have used the Fill Properties From Filename tool for giving the folder.jpg files the Artist and Album tags. Unfortunately the Year tag was not present in the folder stucture so manual tagging would have been needed.

After that the folder.jpg files are imported and tagged they can be moved simultaneously with the audio files using the same "Rename Files From Properties" tool options.

I tag my cover art files at the same time when I rip or import new albums. In addition, I have created a view scheme that can show the audio files and image files side by side for tagging and file operations.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 02:07:16 pm »

...I tag my cover art files at the same time when I rip or import new albums. In addition, I have created a view scheme that can show the audio files and image files side by side for tagging and file operations...

Alex B,
Thanks for your hint. Do you have an (abstract or so) example of your view scheme concerning tagging and file operations with cover art files?
Would be great!

(To King: No, I'm right. But no more update concerning your great "Move Folder.jpg". So I have to use another App.)

Fex

dcwebman

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 08:14:01 am »

I tag my cover art files at the same time when I rip or import new albums. In addition, I have created a view scheme that can show the audio files and image files side by side for tagging and file operations.
Alex, I used your suggestion a long time ago and do find it the best way. Would that mean you might agree with my suggestion? http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43412.0
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up