INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal Art Being Lost on Convert  (Read 3849 times)

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
Internal Art Being Lost on Convert
« on: November 18, 2007, 03:00:18 pm »

This is not the same issue mentioned in the other coverart/convert thread. I have (had) a cd of apes with coverart successfully embedded in the tags. I tried to convert the files to uncompressed waves. After a couple of MC silent shutdowns, I got the cd converted. But, each time I converted a file, I would see the image tag on the original ape go from "inside file" to the filename on my hd.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Internal Art Being Lost on Convert
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 03:16:35 pm »

I can't reproduce this. The source APE files and the library field values do not change anyhow when I convert the files to wave. Also the last modifed time of the APE files stays unchanged.

Maybe you have the "update database" option selected and you are actually looking at the resulting wave files after the conversion? In that case the Image File field value is automatically changed to an external link if matching cover art is found (MC doesn't tag wave files).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 03:30:36 pm »

Actually, seems that I can reproduce. I noticed that I didn't have the "Also store image in file's tags" cover art option selected.

I enabled the option and repeated the test. MC changed the Image File field value from "Inside File" to a link just as you explained. Fortunately the embedded image is still in the file tag. MC just doesn't use it anymore.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 04:11:10 am »

Actually, seems that I can reproduce. I noticed that I didn't have the "Also store image in file's tags" cover art option selected.

I enabled the option and repeated the test. MC changed the Image File field value from "Inside File" to a link just as you explained. Fortunately the embedded image is still in the file tag. MC just doesn't use it anymore.

I have noticed this weekend that I cannot get MC to get the cover art to go into the MP3 files I was tagging. Even if I have "Also store image in file's tags" option enabled. Image File field value is also a link. But I don't think that cover art is in the MP3 file as Vista's Windows Explorer does not show the cover art as it does for files that I previously tagged.

...Michel.

Omni

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 05:13:43 am »

@edbro:

There is definitely something amiss with MC and embedded cover art (and possibly APE files since all my files are APE encoded).  Be grateful that you, at least, didn't lose all your cover art like I just did.  >:(

I was viewing all my '[Genre]=Christmas' tracks, all of which happily contained cover art and were displaying fine, and I did a "Update Library (from tags)" and Poof!  My [Image File] column turned blank (previously each and every entry listed "Inside File"), the thumbnails disappeared, and all the cover art images that had been looping all day long in Playing Now are now utterly gone. :'(

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 12:16:31 pm »

I can't reproduce this.

There was a cover art issue with embedded art that was fixed with build 374.

Please post the version you're using if you believe there's still a problem.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

edbro

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 12:22:08 pm »

I am using 12.0.374 on XP SP2.

Due to the recent problems with coverart, I had the image column displayed in details mode. While converting a cd of apes to wav, I could see the image column go from "inside file" to a link to the art on my hd. This would change with each file as the convert completed.

Just to be clear, I am talking about the source files losing the "inside file", not the target wav. Of course, I saw the target files not get the art when I converted an ape to mp3. But, that's another issue.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 12:37:54 pm »

I am using 12.0.374 on XP SP2.

Due to the recent problems with coverart, I had the image column displayed in details mode. While converting a cd of apes to wav, I could see the image column go from "inside file" to a link to the art on my hd. This would change with each file as the convert completed.

Can you reproduce this?  I don't seem to be able to make it happen. 

Do you have tagging disabled in Options > General?  Any other clues?

Thanks.

edbro

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 12:43:21 pm »

Sorry, I'm at work now and can't get to my system until this evening. But...
- It was reproduced by AlexB and Omni
- No, I don't have tagging disabled.

Not really sure what other clues I can give. AlexB seems to think the art is still there in the file, I don't know. Mine still showed the art but then again, the new tag was pointing to a valid jpg on the hard drive. Omni says he lost his coverart.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 01:58:56 pm »

I tried it with 374.

This seems to be a very odd problem. I was to prepared to post a couple of "before and after" screenshots of the column values, my options and file locations and tried to reproduce the problem, but now I couldn't. I used a different set of APE files (I had already deleted the previous test files), but they should be technically similar.

They only thing that I can think of is that possibly I hadn't yet rebooted after installing 374 when I was able to reproduce the problem (I really can't remember that anymore). Since then I have rebooted before trying the same now. Could this be related?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 02:12:47 pm »

AlexB seems to think the art is still there in the file

My test APE files were bit-for-bit identical before and after the test. The change happened only in the database.

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 02:40:27 pm »

My test APE files were bit-for-bit identical before and after the test. The change happened only in the database.

Same for me. Using .374. Rebooted a couple of time just to make sure. When I add coverart to files, they are not saved in the file, only in the database.

The way that I noticed is that when MC was imbedding the cover art in the files before this problem arose, there would be a "Saving Tags to files" message that would be displayed for a few seconds as the art would be saved withing the files. Now, when I try to imbed the cover art, the save is instantaneous, so I'm assuming it's going to the database only, not the files themselves. The Action Window report that the coverart is not imbedded, it point to a link.

Also, Windows Explorer does not show any coverart while it still does for files I tagged a while back.

Another clue: If I check previously tagged files with embeded cover art, the Action Window does report that it is Inside The File.

Maybe this another potential clue? I also noticed that if I was tagging MP3s that only had IDV1 tags to start, MC would not pick them up and use them for Name, Artist, Album, etc... The fields are left empty (Except for Name which uses the filename when there is no value for Name). Yet Windows Explorer would use those IDV1 tags and display them. If I did not tag anything but just let MC play the tunes, I noticed that one by one The IDV1 tags would be erased in Windows Explorer as soon as the song was finished. I have set up ALL of my tags to save in the files, even the play count, which is why MC does a write to the files as they are played. But in the process, it also erased all of the IDV1 tags that were there before. (If this is not related Matt, feel free to spawn it to another thread.)

...Michel.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 02:49:35 pm »

I think we found it.  The fix in build 374 had its own wart.

The problem is a bit complicated to explain.  It arose because the new helper interface for input plugins could end up with a stale pointer due to a reference counting problem stemming from multiple heap areas in the same process.

Anyway, look for a fix in 375 and later.

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 03:13:50 pm »

The problem is a bit complicated to explain.  It arose because the new helper interface for input plugins could end up with a stale pointer due to a reference counting problem stemming from multiple heap areas in the same process.

OK, I get it now...  ;D ;D ;D

...Michel

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 06:27:29 am »

Matt, I've got a nasty suspicion that this (Or a close analog) is coming up again  :(
Using 12.0.410, and I've got files losing their coverart & having it re-assigned to a random file.
All the files are MKV or AVI, and have cover art manually added from .jpg/ .png files. The length of time before they simply 'lose' the cover art doesn't appear to be consistant, it just happens randomly as far as I can tell. I notice that all the files which lose their cover art have the image file tag set to F:\Media\MC Lib\J River\Media Center 12\Cover Art\Unknown.jpg This tag sometimes persists when cover art is re-added manually and other times it changes to an induvidual file.

Cheers

-Leezer-

rjm

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 12:05:36 pm »

Matt, I've got a nasty suspicion that this (Or a close analog) is coming up again  :(
Using 12.0.410, and I've got files losing their coverart & having it re-assigned to a random file.
All the files are MKV or AVI, and have cover art manually added from .jpg/ .png files. The length of time before they simply 'lose' the cover art doesn't appear to be consistant, it just happens randomly as far as I can tell. I notice that all the files which lose their cover art have the image file tag set to F:\Media\MC Lib\J River\Media Center 12\Cover Art\Unknown.jpg This tag sometimes persists when cover art is re-added manually and other times it changes to an induvidual file.

Cheers

-Leezer-

Matt, could this be related to the problem in 12.0.410 that randomly detects files as having changed?

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 12:33:29 pm »

FWIW, I haven't got auto-import set to run at all here. All files ought to be ignoring external changes  :)

-Leezer-
Pages: [1]   Go Up