INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing ripped Blu-ray / HD-DVD content in MC12  (Read 2318 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Playing ripped Blu-ray / HD-DVD content in MC12
« on: December 10, 2007, 05:58:54 pm »

As with DVD's you're going to need to get the unencrypted content onto your HDD (google around and you will no doubt find the tools).  Once on your drive you have a couple of choices, you can mount the volumes with Daemon tools and play with PowerDVD HD etc, or you can attempt to play the content inside MC12 with direct show filters. 

This thread is about how to play the the content in MC12 with direct sow filters:

Background:  Here is a good link to what CAN stored on your Blu-ray / HD-DVD disks ( http://www.videohelp.com/hd ).  As you can see there is a wide range of Video and Audio encodings that can (and are used).  The trick is going to be finding the filters that will handle such a wide variaty of content that can be housed in the M2TS (Blu-ray) or EVO (HD-DVD) containers (neither of which are currently file types in MC12)

Blu-ray:  The main movie is stored in the large M2TS files located in the ...MDMV\STREAM directory.  It is a simple process to combine into a single file:
- determine which of the m2ts in the ...BDMV\STREAM directory contians the main movie (say in this case it is 00000.m2ts and 00001.m2ts)
- join the two (or more) by using "copy /b 00000.m2ts + 00001.m2ts "name.m2t" to one big 30GB file!!!! (note the different destination file type as MC12 does not have a *.m2ts)
- As many Blu-ray disks are encoded with MPEG-2 and include a standard DD5.1 stream as mandatory, you probably already have filters set-up in MC12 that will play this file (eg for me I just add the "Nero Splitter" as a pefered filter in the DirectShow settings for file type M2T).

HD-DVD:  The main movie is stored in the large EVO files located in the ...HVDVD_TS directory.  The process to combine is similar to the above but you may have to pay particular attention to the number and order of the EVO files - they appear to sometime have many and the numbering used may not indicate the correct order.  While I've not found a container / file extension to change the EVO file extension to that MC will attempt to open yet, the main challenge will be to find filters to playback the Video and Audio streams with.  The big one for now is that DD is NOT a mandatory stream on HD-DVD so we need to find filters that will decode either 5.1PCM, DD+, DD HD etc etc

Any other ideas on how to play would be welcome!
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up