INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Playback constantly crashing MC12.403 [solved]  (Read 4916 times)

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • The world rotates, so does my car's engine ...
DVD Playback constantly crashing MC12.403 [solved]
« on: December 31, 2007, 05:33:28 am »

Dear all,

I have never been happy with MC's DVD playback as it was always causing problems on my PC. I don't know why, but I just wanted to give it another chance. However, inserting a movie DVD and trying to playback the movie was permanently crashing MC again. It didn't matter what movie it was, every movie DVD made the program freeze.

I have other programs installed like an older version of Power DVD, Windows Media Player etc. and all playback DVDs just fine.

Is there anything I can do to make MC12 work with movie DVDs as well? Do I need any special codecs or whatsoever?

From browsing the forum it seems that it does work on other machines!? I would like to use MC for DVD playback as well and get rid of using the other progs.

Many thanks and best regards,

Mighty A-MAN

Media Center Registered 12.0.403 -- C:\Programme\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 3209 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2097 MB, Free - 1300 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright ᄅ 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive X: PIONEER DVD RW  DVR-109   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Y: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8163B  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\chimes.wav

Burning /  Drive X: PIONEER  DVD RW  DVR-109    Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices: Pocket_PC_A-MAN,iPAQ File Store

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
  Cover Art Finder 3 (Active)
  Lyrics Finder (Active)
  What I'm Listening To

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: DVD Playback constantly crashing MC12.403
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 07:20:57 am »

I also had some problems using MC for DVDs. But the last few days I played around with it and now it works better than PowerDVD and even WinDVD (which I always liked best). I had selected some codecs (Tools -> option -> Playback -> DVD playback settings) that messed up MC and made it crash from time to time. So I think it's quite often just a cause of the wrong Decoder selection.

For me it works best with "Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7)" selected (but I also have no problems using the free "DScaler5" here). If you also have PowerDVD installed you should be able to select one of the CyberLink Decoders. The option to "Use FFDShow video decoder for post processing" makes my screen go blank, so I deselected this. Video Renderer set to Automatic works fine for me. I'm using the "YUV Mixing Mode" with both options selected.

The Audio Decoder was difficult to find for me. I have 13 different choices there. After having some bad luck (no sound, low volume etc.) I reached ffdshow (which is included in "Combined Community Codec Pack" or the "Vista Codec Pack") which is awesome: it allows you to use the internal MC sound settings and all the Dolby Staff. If I'm not wrong, MC installs ffdshow components on its own, when you try to play a downloaded youtube-File (flv-File) and you don't allready have it on your system.

I don't think those are the "best" settings, but it works very well for me and perhaps it helps you getting out of trouble, too...

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • The world rotates, so does my car's engine ...
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 07:44:36 am »

Hi StFeder,

Many thanks for your help. Actually I had everything on automatic, but it seems that wasn't automatically a good choice.   ;)  I have now changed to your suggestions and I can confirm it's working much, much better now. The DVD played and MC was only crashing after I stopped the playback, but on a second try this didn't happen again. So I hope I'm sorted now. If not, I can still fool around with other codecs.

Again, many thanks for your help. You and everyone else here have a great start into 2008,

Mighty A-MAN

ukahfur

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:04:38 pm »

Wow,

Thanks StFeder. I was having the same problem with MC crashing when I would stop a DVD. I made those changes you suggested and all seems to be working now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up