INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about semi-colon delimited lists  (Read 1951 times)

galahad1974

• World Citizen
Question about semi-colon delimited lists
« on: January 14, 2008, 02:13:26 pm »

I am trying to use a a list filed to store the sub genre of movies (as im sure many of you do). I cant get the field to take multiple values, i have my list set up for with the genre nemes, and when I click in the tagging window to edit the value all the genres appear correctly. If i select any 1 it works fine, but if i select more than 1, it simply throws the values away and the next time I look at the field its blank. Any ideas? What other info should I be giving to help figure this out?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Question about semi-colon delimited lists
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 02:57:06 pm »

as far as i understand it, you made a user defined library field which is a list field, and in the values you typed the choices that you have. combining those does not work (choosing two values). for me making list user fields have only worked when keeping the value empty, which is not really a problem because it does give you the choices anyway, after typing it once for one file.

gab

tgrounds

• Recent member
  • Lovin' life!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 03:42:19 pm »

I'm trying to do the same thing.  I created a custom library field called "Movie Genre" with the set list of genre's that I use.  I was encouraged by the fact that when I select the tag field I see check boxes and not radio buttons (indicating that multiple entries are allowed) and I see it build the entry at the top of the list by showing the items in a list separated by semi-colons.  But I have the same result.  When I press enter, it takes me back to the tag page and the field is blank.  If I select only 1 value it carries that value forward.   My desire is to be able to see a single video listed in each 'Movie Genre' when it falls into multiple Genre's (example: 'The Incredibles' falls into Action/Adventure, Family and Animated in my list).  Is there a way to do this?
Tom Grounds
IT Consultant - Pariveda Solutions
http://www.parivedasolutions.com

gappie

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 03:58:35 pm »

it will only work when this field is left empty:

the point is that when choosing for instance blah;whatever for a file, the values list wont see it even when it is brrr;blah;flos;whatever. those are seperate values where it sees the blah;whatever as one value which is not in the list. guess you could call it a bug, but that is how i think it works.

tgrounds

• Recent member
  • Lovin' life!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 04:02:28 pm »

Thanks Gappie - Now I understand what you are saying - I will try that.  It will be interesting to see how the filters handle the list it runs the risk of not forcing me to select a genre from the list, but since I'm the only one doing data entry, then I can manage that.

Tom. 
Tom Grounds

tgrounds

• Recent member
  • Lovin' life!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 04:16:38 pm »

Brilliant!!! This is exactly what I needed.  I adjusted my scheme to use this new field called 'Movie Genre' and I see the same movie in each genre.  I'm now going to test the Theatre view of it!

Thanks for the help!

Tom.
Tom Grounds

gappie

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 04:29:46 pm »

glad i could help.  :)
you might also take a look at the new nesting 'function' for list fields. at least when you also want the subgenres like the original poster. you could, for instance, have these genres
drama/tear jerker and other movies drama/black comedy. when seeing those in panes you get some nice views. works also nice in theater view.

here is a link to nested keywords, but it works the same with user defined fields http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43975.0

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 07:51:17 pm »

Thanks! That solves my problem also. Im not sure why it was done that way, but im sure theres a perfectly good reason. Thanks for all the help!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up