INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying tags  (Read 1309 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
Copying tags
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:12:34 pm »

When I eventually convert some of my digital photos from RAW format to JPEG (or such) is there an easy way to copy all of the tags from the original RAW to the new JPEG?

Also, are there any plans to support JPEG-2000?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Copying tags
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 01:07:21 am »

I've no experience of RAW files at all. Do they keep tags in the file as well as in the database, or are they 'database only' tags?

My gut feeling is "database only", if I'm right, do you want to keep both RAW and jpg versions catalogued by MC?

The JPEG-2000 question was asked a long time ago and back then, the answer was along the lines of "not at this time"

-marko.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:15:49 am »

I believe you're right about some of the tags in that MC handles them and they're not in the RAW file. But that somewhat doesn't matter for what I'm trying to do. Basically I just want to transfer whatever tags exist (in the file or MC's database) to the new JPEG.

Is this possible and how?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:35:53 am »

There's no "convert format" tool for images in MC, so the answer is no, it's not possible.

As I've said, I've zero experience with RAW files of any nature, but, if RAW files contain EXIF, IPTC or XMP metadata, I would expect your chosen conversion tool to preserve these in the new jpg file. If that's not the case though, there is a way to work around this...

1. In MC, go to Tools > Options > Library and Folders > Options and untick "run auto import in the background"
2. Close MC
3. Move your RAW files elsewhere on your hard drive. The idea here is to break the file links in your MC library.
4. Do your conversion. Keep the file names the same, and save the converted files in the same location as the RAW files were before you moved them.
5. Open MC, list the RAW files concerned (the ones that are now actually jpg files, but MC is looking for RAW files and can't find them) select them all, right click, library tools, find and replace.
6. click the 'select none' button, then find Filename in the list and select it. In the find field, enter .RAW and in the replace field, enter .jpg, click OK.
7. select all files concerned again and perform an "update tags from library" on them to write the tag info to the files themselves.
8. Turn auto import back on by reversing step 1.

Job done.

If you want the original RAW files to remain in MC, you'll need to go through the entire process again, switching the jpg and RAW files while MC is closed, and then importing the jpg files in the normal way. The tag info should be saved in the jpg files themselves and will be picked up and read during import.
It may be worth checking that the setting for "save in file tags (when possible)" is activated for any image file tags you are using to be sure that they get written to the new jpg files in step 7.

I know it's a tad convoluted, but at this time, I think it's that, or nothing.

-marko.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:41:33 pm »

Good idea on the idea to replace the RAW with the JPEG. I'll try that if I can't come up with something easier.

Actually, that may be the easiest way. Even if there was a function in MC to copy all of the tags from one image to another that would require selecting teach target and destination of a number of images. Your idea should allow me to do a bunch in one operation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up