INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Hauppauge 1600 and Vista  (Read 10444 times)

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
Problems with Hauppauge 1600 and Vista
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:25:47 pm »

Hi,

I am running Vista 64-bit.  The Hauppauge program which comes with it (WinTV2000) works fine, I can watch 70 analog channels.  I do not own a digital antenna, so I am not trying to capture over-the-air HD signals <yet>.  I originally tried to get this to work with MC 12 version 404.  The audio came in fine, but the video images were playing at about 1 frame per second.  I found benn600's post about that exact topic, and figured the solution was to be found in the latest version of MC.  I downloaded and installed version 428 which is what is running now.  Unfortunately, now I get nothing at all.  The screen is entirely black, with no audio.

I still have my 70 channels the original scan found, but picking any of them does not yield any results.  Very ocasionally, I can get a single image from a channel, but most of the time it is just black.  Here is the graph info which I saw you asked benn600 for :

Filter Graph Info (TV graph):

Filter 'Default DSound Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}
        Filename: quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Out' of filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Video Capture'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'VideoMixingRenderer9'
        CLSID: {51B4ABF3-748F-4E3B-A276-C828330E926A}
        Filename: quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'VMR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Capture' of filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Video Capture'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_UYVY, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Input Pin 'VMR Input1'

Filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Video Capture'
        CLSID: {17CCA71B-ECD7-11D0-B908-00A0C9223196}
        Filename: ksproxy.ax
        Input Pin 'Analog Video In'
            Connected to pin '0: Video Decoder Out' of filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Crossbar'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AnalogVideo  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_None, Format type FORMAT_AnalogVideo
        Input Pin 'Analog Audio In'
            Connected to pin '1: Audio Decoder Out' of filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Crossbar'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AnalogAudio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_None, Format type FORMAT_None
        Output Pin 'Capture'
            Connected to pin 'VMR Input0' of filter 'VideoMixingRenderer9'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_UYVY, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Output Pin 'Audio Out'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)' of filter 'Default DSound Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'VBI'
        Output Pin 'HWCC'
        Output Pin '656'

Filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Crossbar'
        CLSID: {71F96460-78F3-11D0-A18C-00A0C9118956}
        Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ksxbar.ax
        Input Pin '0: Video Tuner In'
            Connected to pin 'Analog Video' of filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Tuner'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AnalogVideo  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_None, Format type FORMAT_AnalogVideo
        Input Pin '1: Video Composite In'
        Input Pin '2: Video SVideo In'
        Input Pin '3: Video Composite In'
        Input Pin '4: Video SVideo In'
        Input Pin '5: Audio Tuner In'
            Connected to pin 'TVAudio Out' of filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 TvAudio'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AnalogAudio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_None, Format type FORMAT_None
        Input Pin '6: Audio Line In'
        Input Pin '7: Audio Line In'
        Output Pin '0: Video Decoder Out'
            Connected to pin 'Analog Video In' of filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Video Capture'
        Output Pin '1: Audio Decoder Out'
            Connected to pin 'Analog Audio In' of filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Video Capture'

Filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 TvAudio'
        CLSID: {71F96462-78F3-11D0-A18C-00A0C9118956}
        Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ksxbar.ax
        Input Pin 'TVAudio In'
            Connected to pin 'Analog Audio' of filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Tuner'
        Output Pin 'TVAudio Out'
            Connected to pin '5: Audio Tuner In' of filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Crossbar'

Filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Tuner'
        CLSID: {266EEE40-6C63-11CF-8A03-00AA006ECB65}
        Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kstvtune.ax
        Output Pin 'Analog Video'
            Connected to pin '0: Video Tuner In' of filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 Crossbar'
        Output Pin 'Analog Audio'
            Connected to pin 'TVAudio In' of filter 'Hauppauge WinTV 418 TvAudio'

Thanks,
DD.

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Problems with Hauppauge 1600 and Vista
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 04:53:14 pm »

Hi,

Hoping Vista 64-bit wasn't the cause of the problem, I booted into XP 32-bit to try out version 428.  Everything is installed in a different partition (Hauppauge drivers, application, and MC) than my Vista 64-bit.  I have exactly the same problem under normal XP.  Black screen, no audio.  The "copy graph" option appears to give the same results.

Also, the channels were picked up by the scan after the upgrade to 428 on XP (I happened to have scanned for channels when running 404 under Vista), so the order is not important.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
DD.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:29:11 am »

Recent fixes have helped benn600. The graph info you posted seems to be correct.

Just to rule out the obvious, please open TV Configuration window (click Options button while TV is playing) and go to Display tab. Click "Default" button under "Video".
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:16:07 am »

Hi,

It shoots the Sharpness to the far left hand side from where I had placed it in the middle, but other than that, nothing.  I sometimes get a single image when I pick a channel.  It will say "Playing channel 10" and then I sometimes just get a single frame.  So I can see it is not the brightness being off if that is what you were after.  Also, I just tested this both in the Hauppauge WinTV2000 app which comes with it (I downloaded the latest version from their site instead of installing from the CD which came with the card), and in Vista's Windows Media Center.  It works perfectly in both, in fact the image in WMC is better than with the default Hauppauge app.

Since I use MC for everything (pics, music, vids), it would be great to get this going with TV as well.

Thanks,
DD.

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:27:05 am »

Ah ha!  A clue!

If I launch MC12 and try to get the TV tuner working (it doesn't, yet), then I can no longer get the Hauppauge app nor Windows Media Center (WMC) working with TV either.  I have to reboot.  After the reboot, I can switch to my heart's content between WinTV2000 and WMC without any difficulty, but again, as soon as I launch MC12, TV will no longer work in any app until I reboot.

That tells me an incorrect DLL or program file is being loaded by MC, one which has the same name as the good version being used by both other apps.  What do you think?

Thanks,
DD.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:12:33 pm »

A couple of suggestions:

1. Try resetting TV settings.

2. TV Options -> Advanced Properties. Double click "Video Capture Filter..." to bring out Hauppauge's property pages for the device. Look for obvious "wrong" settings, or try changing some settings.

I made some tweaks in code related to this device. It will take a few days for the change to reach public. If you can not wait, send me an email, yaobing at jriver dot com, so I can mail you the updated version for testing.

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 05:10:22 pm »

Hi,

Tried Reseting.  No change.

The advanced properties of the Video Capture Filter has very limited options.  They all appear to be correct.

Video Standard : NTSC_M (I live in Canada, eh)

Signal Detected : 1
Lines Detected : 525

VCR Input and Output Enable are both disabled.  On the Video Proc Amp tab, the first 5 settings are all in the middle, and the next 5 are all greyed out (gamma, white balance, backlight, gain, colorEnable).

And that's it!

Thanks,
DD.

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 02:50:34 pm »

Hi Yaobing,

I was originally going to wait for the next full version of MC12, but if you want to send me something to test, I would be happy to.

I'll send you an email as indicated in your previous post but though I might post here first.

Thanks,
R.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 08:32:27 pm »

Go ahead with sending me an email from an email account where you would like to receive the update.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 02:32:35 pm »

I appreciate both of your work on improving 1600 support as well as it will benefit me.

In general, I'm seeing good support but I think I also notice what you are noticing where once MC uses the tuner, it almost keeps its power over the card so other programs can't access it and occasionally it won' allow the system to go into power saving mode because it thinks it's doing something.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 06:42:45 pm »

I appreciate both of your work on improving 1600 support as well as it will benefit me.

In general, I'm seeing good support but I think I also notice what you are noticing where once MC uses the tuner, it almost keeps its power over the card so other programs can't access it and occasionally it won' allow the system to go into power saving mode because it thinks it's doing something.

Not sure if you refer to this, but TV tuners can only be used by one program at a time. If MC is using it, other programs should not use it. But if MC is not running, or using the tuner, other programs should be able to. If that is not the case, there is something wrong.

marksda1

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 05:03:34 pm »

I'm having a similar problem - if there's been any resolution I'd like to hear. 

I got the same tuner card. 

Also on Vista.

If I watch it through the software that came with, no issues.

But if I watch it through mediacenter, it's a bit jerky with the video.  Frequent obvious pauses.

Loving it for my audio files - was hoping to use it for the full deal.
Mark Tisdale Photography    

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 07:07:14 pm »

I'm having a similar problem - if there's been any resolution I'd like to hear. 

I got the same tuner card. 

Also on Vista.

If I watch it through the software that came with, no issues.

But if I watch it through mediacenter, it's a bit jerky with the video.  Frequent obvious pauses.

Loving it for my audio files - was hoping to use it for the full deal.

Are you using the latest build (build 438)? If not please try it. 438 is definitely better for XPs, but may still have problem for Vista.

marksda1

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 07:11:32 pm »

I checked, I'm on the latest build...   :-\
Mark Tisdale Photography    

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

marksda1

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 06:35:44 am »

I updated this morning...

I've also played with about a thousand settings (really to the point of hunting and pecking). 

If I play through Hauppauge's software that was provided, no issue.

If I play through media center, the picture doesn't seem quite as good (hard to quantify this, more pixellated when there's sudden motion) and most jarringly the video still stutters.  It will play in sync for a minute and then the sound will go out of sync as the video pauses and then re-syncs. 

If there are other details I can give that would help with this, please let me know.  I really want to use one interface for all of this, and Media center is otherwise the winner.  I've gotten to the point of considering another tuner card, but I have no assurance the next one won't have the same issue and not really dying to throw more money down the rabbit hole right now.

Thanks!
Mark Tisdale Photography    

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 12:34:17 pm »

Build 462 is available now. It includes some changes regarding this device.

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 09:56:32 am »

Thought I might provide this forum with an update regarding the Hauppauge 1600 and MC12.  Yaobing now has it working with Vista 64-bit!  For now, analog TV reception via cable is working like a charm, although we are still working on the PVR functionality (recording, time-shifting, etc.).  Both analog and PVR work perfectly under XP SP2 32-bit.  His solution for both OS's has been integrated into MC12 version 487 (and later).

For those of you contemplating this card with MC12 and Vista 64-bit, be advised there is an Hauppauge issue with having 4GB of RAM or more.  It took a while to figure out that this was not an MC12 issue, but it has been confirmed as an Hauppauge issue.  The issue will cause stuttering on playback while watching TV.  There is an easy solution for it, which is to force Vista to use slightly less than 4GB of RAM via a boot setting.  Obviously, this workaround may not be as palatable for those of you with more than 4GB of RAM, but it is working just fine for me by setting Vista to 3840 MBs.  Hauppauge have a comment on their site indicating they are working on new 64-bit drivers, so this issue should go away sometime in the near future.

Workaround:
Start - Run - msconfig - Boot tab - Advanced Options - Put a checkmark in the Maximum Memory and change it to 3840.  OK, OK, reboot, problem solved.

Cheers,
DD.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 03:32:09 pm »

Thanks, DD, for providing the updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up