INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using smartlists to organize duplicates  (Read 2260 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Using smartlists to organize duplicates
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:21:02 am »

I am using some smartlists to organize my library and to find & manage duplicates. From time to time I walk through two smartlists: the first helps me to eliminate different entries reffering to one file, the second finds duplicates based on library information. It worked fine for me. I found this managing trick at markos homepage: http://www.theganghut.co.uk/mc/dupes/

Today I wanted to clean my library again, but it looks as if the smartlists don't work any more. I don't get it. Am I doing something wrong (I didn't touch anything) or is something broken?

I use this smartlist:
Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~dup=[Filename /(name/)] ~sort=[Filename],[Artist],[Name],[Bitrate] What I expect to get is a list with all audio files having identical filenames. Instead I get a list of all audio files in my library.

Here is a screenshot of the smartlist wizard. Perhaps this may help:

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Using smartlists to organize duplicates
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:15:24 am »

Looks like a bug. I can reproduce it. For example, plain "Filename" works, but not "Filename (name)".

I actually found one duplicated file when I tried "Filename".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:33:12 am »

bump

Ok, now the filename rules for duplicates (~dup=[filname], ~dup=[Filename /(name/)], ~dup=[Filename /(path/)]) are working again. BUT: all other smartlist containing "~dup" are still not working.

e.g. ~dup=[Artist], ~dup=[Name] doesn't have any effect!

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 10:49:39 am »

It appears to be working for me now.

Are you meaning to use ~dup=[Name],[Artist] instead, which would show the songs that are duplicated in both those fields? i.e., the ~dup=[Artist] in your example would be unlikely to do anything as you will have multiple songs by most artists in your library.

I can't help but think there's still something wrong with the way the wizard puts escape characters into library fields when it doesn't need to though.  See this thread from November:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43485

I think the need to escape characters doesn't apply within a field name?  But the wizard seems to put them in anyway, thus causing the problem.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 01:14:45 pm »

Thanks for your reply.

I played around with it and I finally got it: I had set some fields via "Tools -> Options -> Library & Folders -> Standard Library Fields" to be displayed with an other label (eg. I had the "Name" field set to "Title"). I set this a long time ago and it didn't make any problems until one month ago or so. For testing I tried to use the original field label (eg. "Name") and my personal ones (eg. "Title") within the smartlist editor. For some reason MC uses the original label for some things (eg. for sorting rules in smartlist editor, or the move/copy fields function) and the personal label for some other (eg. for the dup-rules in smartlist editor, or the step 1 in view ssheme editor). But neither nor worked.

Changing the labels back to default (via options) did the trick for me and now everything works again. So I think there is a bug, which was bothering me up for a month >:(

Maybe there are some other things, as you mentioned eba, but now everything seems to work for me...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 01:29:11 pm »

In 457 and later:
Fixed: Duplicate-style smartlist rules didn't work properly with renamed database fields.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 04:04:23 pm »

In 457 and later:
Fixed: Duplicate-style smartlist rules didn't work properly with renamed database fields.

Thanks!  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up