INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please advise on NOD32 antivirus - causes MC slowdown..  (Read 3733 times)

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Please advise on NOD32 antivirus - causes MC slowdown..
« on: March 13, 2008, 02:34:30 am »

Hello,
I just upgraded my system to 2x faster CPU and 2x more memory and MC12 became painfully unresponsive... I figured that NOD32 was the culprit... Excluded mp3, jpg and avi extensions from a/v scanning and it helped a lot. Is there anything else I can tweak in NOD32 to boost MC performance?
Any other applications to be concerned about? Google desktop?
Thanks!
--max

matt-uk

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Please advise on NOD32 antivirus - causes MC slowdown..
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 06:02:16 am »

I know it may not help you too much, but I've had no problem running MC and NOD32 together. I'm using version 3.0.342.0

Have you tried uninstalling and then re-installing NOD32? Have you tried the newest version?

craft

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:18:00 am »

null

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:29:50 am »

Virus checkers should not normally be set to check every file every time it's opened.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 01:00:09 pm »

Yeah.. I didn't notice that much interference between MC and NOD32 on my old system.. Maybe because NOD32 scanned whatever it needed to scan and cooled down.
Anyway, I excluded media file extensions from a/v scanning and also removed the option to scan on file open. This helped a lot.
What about thumbnails? - what do I exclude so that NOD doesn't sniff every thumb created?
Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 01:40:59 pm »

It's probably looking at library files and maybe registry entries, too.  Try Norton's help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 04:00:43 pm »

Make sure it isn't monkeying with the JRiver application data folder where we put the library, thumbnails, logs, etc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JONCAT

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 08:28:26 pm »

I've used Nod32 v3 and the last 2.7 on both XP and Vista with no issues. Nod32 has always been the friendliest A/V for me with the smallest footprint.

However, I usually exclude the application folder where the library is stored by default. Sometimes Nod runs the cleaning mode which can lead it to utilize a lot of cpu.

My Vista machine is running the new version of Nod32 and honestly MC has been slow and unresponsive only on this machine with the last few builds. Hopefully there will be  a new build to try at the end of the week.

DC

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 02:54:50 am »

Yeah.. I like NOD32 for it's small footprint... I am on 2.7. The 3rd version got me cofused...
Now my MC is good (fast). I'll try to exclude the library folder as well. It'll make it even faster...
Thanks everybody!
--max
(Just got myself a new shiny Harmony One remote - nice!)

I've used Nod32 v3 and the last 2.7 on both XP and Vista with no issues. Nod32 has always been the friendliest A/V for me with the smallest footprint.

However, I usually exclude the application folder where the library is stored by default. Sometimes Nod runs the cleaning mode which can lead it to utilize a lot of cpu.

My Vista machine is running the new version of Nod32 and honestly MC has been slow and unresponsive only on this machine with the last few builds. Hopefully there will be  a new build to try at the end of the week.

DC

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 03:14:03 am »

NOD32 v3.xx proved to be such a pain in the proverbial for me, MC and my image files, I gave up on it and stopped using it. Even with the JRiver \appdata\, prog files folder and my entire image folder, plus the jpg file extension added to the exclusion lists, everything still slowed to a horrible crawl.
I've yet to find a suitable replacement.

Currently trialling AVIR antivirus + outpost firewall pro having trialled, then binned, Zone Alarm, ESET Smart Security (I actually paid for this off the back of over 3 years of faultless service from NOD32 v2.7) and a very brief dalliance with some really poor 'security suite' whose name escapes me for now!!!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 05:02:23 am »

Avira AntiVir works for me. I have no problems with it. It uses very little resources and appears to be safe enough. It is free if you need only the standard virus checking part.

In addition, I use Kerio Firewall (the v.2.15 that is old and very lightweight) and occasionally run manually the Spybot and Ad-Aware programs, though they never seem to find any real malware that would have slipped through Avira's guard (except a few occasional tracking cookies). My D-Link NAT/switch box has a firewall too so the incoming connections are protected twice. (I have disabled the Windows firewall).

This works fine on XP. I don't think the old Kerio Firewall would work on Vista. Avira should be Vista compatible.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JONCAT

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 08:33:00 am »

I have reverted to 2.7 on my Vista machine, and hopefully things pan out. I gave up running software firewalls; I manually run Sunbelt Counterspy or Ad-aware and usually find a few minor things. I let the hardware firewall stay operational as well.

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 09:56:58 am »

Now I'm having issues with XP SP2, NOD32, and MC12.

I've reported on how the 4 instances of jrworker.exe seem "sticky", bogging down my entire PC, and now I often find after & while MC builds thumbs, two instances of NOD32 running at 25% cpu. I have excluded the Program Files & App Data locations.

Not sure if 2.7 has issues with quad-cores, but it's worse than the new version.

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up