INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicmatch Tags not imported into MJ12 or MC12  (Read 3700 times)

lemmie

• Recent member
Musicmatch Tags not imported into MJ12 or MC12
« on: March 14, 2008, 06:43:47 pm »

Hi ,

I am a long time user of Musicmatch Jukebox 10 and was quite glad about the ease of use all-in-one solution with this program (despite the remove external hardware problem comming along with 'mim.exe'). Since MMJB was aquired by Yahoo (which I don't like very much), I'm seeking for another solution/program to rip/file my music library from my own CDs. So, I found Media Jukebox 12 and Media Center 12. Fine! But ...

All my effords to load the 'Featured Artist' field from MMJB10, which I used a lot, into MJ12 and also MC12 (trial) were unsuccessfull. I scanned also the forum for 'Musicmatch' topics, tried user defined 'Featured Performers' and 'Track Artist' fields, as stated in some threads, but w/o any success. MP3tags states for this field 'COMMENT MUSICMATCH_TRACKARTIST', which I also tried as user defined within MC12. Before questions are comming along ... after any change made I imported/auto-updated the links again, shure!

All I've seen up to now, I'll appreciate the performance, outlook and controls of MC12. BUT, als long as there is no (simple) way to import MMJB tags (here 'Featured Artists' only) as stated onto the JRiver Media Center Page (!) ...

'MC supports ID3v1 and ID3v2 for music. It supports JRiver tags for photos. It can also import MusicMatch tags.' (AHA!)

...I don't switch to MC12 and pay for!

I'll welcome any hints to fix my restraints against MC12. ;-)

lemmie

lemmie

• Recent member
Re: Musicmatch Tags not imported into MJ12 or MC12
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 06:48:38 pm »

Oops, I forgot 'Thanks a lot' ...

So, thanks a lot for any hints! :-)

lemmie

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 07:16:49 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

As I explained in the following post it should work:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41621.msg283742#msg283742

After creating the library field(s) you need reread the file tags if the files are already imported:
Select the files > right-click > Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)

Take care that you don't use the Update Tags (from libary) tool and don't make any tag changes before the Musicmatch data is correctly imported. These actions would replace the file tags with existing library data.

Alternatively you can start from the scratch:
1. Create a new library with Library Manager.
2. Create the Musicmatch fields you would like to use. The available fields are listed in the linked thread.
3. Import the files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jack wallstreet

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 07:21:14 pm »

I was a long time MM10 user.  I did a cautious and careful port which worked very well.  MC12 leaves MM10 in the dust.  You'll be very, very happy.
John

lemmie

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 05:35:48 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

Hi Alex,

thanks a lot for your help and welcome! :)

As I explained in the following post it should work:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41621.msg283742#msg283742

YES! It is working now! 8) Thanks a lot for your hints and link to your very fine post with all the pictures. So it was very easy for me to try it again. ;)

I really don't know why my last trial in adding the 'Track Artist' field didn't work before I opened this tread. Maybe I messed up some actions (like update from library again) with that last field entry in my confusion, because I tried a lot.

Now, as it's working, I'll be very happy with MC12 because as I stated above, the performance, the outlook and the controls convince me. MC12 will become my music/media tool! :)

Please let me ask one more question. Why do I have to enter 'Track Artist' for the MMJB featured artist field, as MP3tag states 'COMMENT MUSICMATCH_TRACKARTIST' for that? Is there any translation table within MC12 with predefined fields for MMBJ? This is also interesting for other fields (which I didn't use, only to help my understanding). ;)

Again thanks a lot and best wishes to you!

lemmie

@Jack: What in heaven is MM10? ;D Yes, now I'm in your opinion. I am happy! :)

jack wallstreet

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 05:47:04 pm »

MM10=MusicMatch 10
John

lemmie

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 05:50:12 pm »

MM10=MusicMatch 10

*g*

I recognized it!

MM10 is in the dust, isn't it? ;)

;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 06:11:05 pm »

Please let me ask one more question. Why do I have to enter 'Track Artist' for the MMJB featured artist field, as MP3tag states 'COMMENT MUSICMATCH_TRACKARTIST' for that? Is there any translation table within MC12 with predefined fields for MMBJ? This is also interesting for other fields (which I didn't use, only to help my understanding). ;)
It would be nice to have.  Maybe you or another MusicMatch user could start a Wiki page here (see Wiki link at the top of this board) with a list of MusicMatch tags and a suggested mapping to MC tags.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 06:25:08 pm »

lemmie, I am glad it worked out for you.

... Please let me ask one more question. Why do I have to enter 'Track Artist' for the MMJB featured artist field, as MP3tag states 'COMMENT MUSICMATCH_TRACKARTIST' for that? ...

The field names consist of two parts.

One part is used internally. In the field options this is the "Name:" part. You cannot change this part.  It is tied with the physical file tag, which in this case happens to be COMM (MusicMatch_TrackArtist) or COMMENT MUSICMATCH_TRACKARTIST as Mp3tag displays it. The actual ID3v2.3 tag is not exactly either of these variants. It is a COMM frame with a description header. The standard allows multiple COMM (aka comment) frames if the frames have unique description headers. Since MC can tag several file formats and use many tagging systems the field names need to be internally tied with various different file tag frames.

The other part is the "Display" part. You are free to change it as you wish. This is the name that shows up in MC's user interface.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

lemmie

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 06:32:32 pm »

It would be nice to have.  Maybe you or another MusicMatch user could start a Wiki page here (see Wiki link at the top of this board) with a list of MusicMatch tags and a suggested mapping to MC tags.

Ooops, I used the 'Featured Artists' field before only. So I don't know how the other proprietary fields within MMJB are named. I do think that most of the MMBJ users used the trackartist field only, and left the others, as I did. The trackartist field was very common within the MM tag library and in my opinion very helpfull. I really don't understand why such an important field is not a standard ID3 tag!

Nevertheless, I'll think about to help and some additional trials to draw out some more fields. (MP3tag might be good for that purpose because it names such fields, whenever they are valid entities.)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 06:37:48 pm »

Is there any translation table within MC12 with predefined fields for MMBJ? This is also interesting for other fields (which I didn't use, only to help my understanding).

JimN posted this list in the thread I linked earlier:

Here are a list of Music Match fields that will import to  (& export from) MC 12, if the user field is first created, as described above by Alex B:

Tempo
Mood
Situation
Bios
Preference
Lyricist
Original Lyricist
Original Artist
Initial Key
Subtitle
Instruments
Featured Performers
Classical Genre
Track Artist (Featured Artist in MM)

JimN

JimH,

Is JimN one of your regular staff members or is he more like a freelancer? He doesn't post very often, but a few days ago he asked something about the replay gain tags.

lemmie

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 06:47:30 pm »

Alex,

I appreciate your help and this forum very much! :)

Such a forum is also another top to go for such a good software, like Media Center! :)

Regarding the ID3 tags, I think I'll study the standard more precisely. ;) It makes me curious about now. :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 07:19:12 pm »

JimH,

Is JimN one of your regular staff members or is he more like a freelancer?

And Who is "deanna"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 08:30:48 pm »

JimN has been a developer at JRiver for more than 20 years.

Deanna is the first face you see when you walk through the door.  She does a lot of things, all of them very well.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Musicmatch's Notes tag can be easily imported to MC/MJ
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 02:21:10 pm »

A discussion from the "Media Jukebox 12.0.038 (FREE!)" thread:

First - thanks for making this available! I assume the Amazon link makes it possible to make it free. I'm a good example of why it is a good idea for Amazon to sponsor JRiver - for the first time in my life, I'm trying to purchase music on-line. And if it wasn't for the fact that Amazon's system won't sell to Canadians, I would buy from them, and only them, just because of your player.

Now for the bug comment. I'm moving from Musicmatch to MJ and have found that if there is text in the Notes field, it will not import into 12.0.038 (I haven't tried previous versions).  All other fields that I have tried (I have tried many, including Lyrics and Bio) seem to work flawlessly.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Musicmatch saves its "Notes" field to the standard ID3v2 comment field (at least the v.10 does - I just tried it.)

The contents should appear automatically in the Comment field in MC12 or MJ12.

However, if the field contains several text lines only the first line is correctly displayed in JRiver programs. MC/MJ's Comment field is designed to be able to handle single lines only. You can use the Move / Copy Fields tool for copying the tag values from Comment to Notes. MC/MJ's Notes field is set to "large value" and it can handle multi-line text.

I can't believe I missed the Comment field - you're right, there was the first line, I moved it to Notes and it works GREAT! Not only that, but you can select masses of files at once and transfer the Comments to Notes! Unbelievable!! Thank you, very very much. That's it. This player is great! Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up