INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Haven't see this bug posted yet - MC hijacks focus [Solved]  (Read 3372 times)

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
Haven't see this bug posted yet - MC hijacks focus [Solved]
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:23:34 pm »

Hello all!  New poster here, & new to MC.  I've exhausted myself looking for an explanation to the following problem.

When I launch my purchased Media Center ver. 12.0.450, I loose the ability to select anything on  my computer.  It happens 2 to 5 munutes after I start MC.  What ever window I'm working with on my computer, will lose focus.  When I click on that window to regain focus, I get the focus back for a fraction of a second and then lose it again.  If I click on a drop down menu, the menu flashes and then disappears before you can even read it.  If I click on MC, I can get focus then, but the MC menus have the same characteristics of loosing focus.  The only way to work around this is to close MC.  Once I close it, my computer then works properly.

Info about my system:

General:
MS Windows XP Professional  ver. 5.1.2600 SP2 build 2600
System Manufacturer   NVIDIA
System Model   AWRDACPI
System Type   X86-based PC
Processor   x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2009 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date   Award Software International, Inc. F7, 12/29/2005
Total Physical Memory   2,559.48 MB

Display:
Name   NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
PNP Device ID   PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_02E1&SUBSYS_21C319F1&REV_A2\4&1AD7642&0&0058
Adapter Type   GeForce 7600 GS, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description   NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Adapter RAM   512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)
Installed Drivers   nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version   6.14.11.6921

Protection:
NOD32
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall - On

Other Information:
Nero 8
Windows Media Player 11
Yahoo Music Jukebox (formerly MusicMatch)
Realplayer
Cyberlink PowerDVD
SnagIt
Camstasia Studio
TiVo Desktop
Adobe CS2 & Audition
MS Office Suite
Windows Live Messenger
Yahoo Messenger
Paltalk Messenger

Any help is appreciated!!!  I love what this product is trying to do here, so I really want this to work!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Haven't see this bug posted yet - MC hijacks focus
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 02:27:14 pm »

Are you importing lots of files in the background that need thumbnail generation? If so, you might want to leave MC running overnight one day until it's done. Then you won't have this problem any more.

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 02:30:37 pm »

No I've imported my entire computer successfully, and was able to use it for a time before this bug started.  I first noticed it once I started listening to podcasts (Adam Carolla).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 02:32:59 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

MC won't do that by itself, but it's possible that a DirectShow filter is misbehaving.

Take a look at Task Manager to see if something else is running.  Haali?

The wiki (link above) has info on DirectShow and a few gotchas.

Display View has an "Always on Top" setting, but you would have to have checked it.  It isn't on by default.  Right Click, Display Settings.

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 03:29:04 pm »

Great Suggestion!!!

I opened my task manager and started MC and watched to see what would change.  After a few minutes, a process called JrWorker.exe starts and that's when everything loses focus.  I didn't see the one you suggested.  What should I do next?

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 05:58:05 pm »

Could be auto import. Try turning it off under Tools | Auto Import Options... | Options | Run auto import in backgraound. Ie, disable this.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 06:27:50 pm »

Alright, it's been 10 minutes running fine with Auto-import disabled so it looks like that did it!!!

Thanks you guys so much for the help!!!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:50:11 pm »

Alright, it's been 10 minutes running fine with Auto-import disabled so it looks like that did it!!!

Thanks you guys so much for the help!!!

Do you know what kind files it was trying to auto import while you were having problems?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 12:14:13 am »

OK now that you asked, things are coming back to my memory... so the Auto-import was set for my entire computer.  Once I realized that I could make multiple custom libraries, I decided to have one library with my entire computer scanned, and that's about the time the the issue started.  So I don't know what kind of file it's getting hung on, but I bet it some file deep in my program folders....

I'd be more than happy to investigate further if you point me in the right direction!

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 12:23:19 am »

IN addition, I went back to check what folders were set and I have a number of folders set, with also, the entire computer set for auto-import.  Of course every folder that's set, is a part of entire computer so that's redundant.

I'm going to clear out the redundant folders and try turning auto-import back on to see if that was the issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 07:12:05 am »

Try importing a directory of video files, then a directory of audio files.  I'm guessing the video files may cause a problem, but the audio files don't.

Did you try reading the Directshow guide in the Wiki?

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 07:41:57 pm »

Yes, so far I only have problems with video files and none with audio.  I did read the Directshow Wiki file... it was enough to make myself dangerous!  I think you've created a monster here, because finally there's something that can actually do everything I need and more....  But for now, I will keep auto import off, until I get more saavy.....

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 12:48:39 pm »

I finally have been able to identify one culprit - DivX Settings Manager.

DivX Settings Manager is automatically loaded if your files call for DivX Video decoder. It places an icon in the Windows notification area. That seems to be causing all the focus problem. During importing, or during thumbnailing of videos, I notice an exact correspondence between foreground window losing focus and the appearance of the DivX Manager icon in the notification area.

The solution:

Uninstall DivX decoder or configure MC so FFDShow Video Decoder is used instead of DivX Video Decoder.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 03:13:02 pm »

Ahhh!! That's it!!

I do have DivX Video installed, and there is only one folder that has DivX files in it.  The only time that folder was being imported was when I had entire computer selected for auto import.  I did notice the icon in the notification tray but didn't know what it meant.

I've followed your instructions and all seems fine, with auto-import enabled in the background!  Thanks for you great detective work!! Very grateful!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up