INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last Fm Plugin Does Not Work  (Read 3291 times)

TheDuke

• World Citizen
Last Fm Plugin Does Not Work
« on: March 24, 2008, 01:44:21 am »

Anyone else having problems with the last-fm plugin.
It only seems to work if you have it selected on screen which is a bit rubbish really.  :P

TheDuke

• World Citizen
Re: Last Fm Plugin Does Not Work
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 03:02:01 am »

Having downloaded the latest version on Media Center the Last Fm plugin works.
However it only works with mp3 files not other audio formats.

TheDuke

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 03:05:22 am »

Probably be a good idea to have the plugin submit the information from your ipod when syncd as well.
This is the normal function of the last-fm plugin for other players now.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 04:18:57 am »

Having downloaded the latest version on Media Center the Last Fm plugin works.
However it only works with mp3 files not other audio formats.

As you noticed, the first problem was fixed a few builds ago.

Regarding the second problem do you have a filter specified in the plugin options?

I am not sure how exactly the filter system works (the "filename" part of the automatically added filter is unclear to me), but the following filter string seems to work for me:
Filetype=[mp3],[wav],[ogg],[flac],[ape],[apl],[mpc],[wma],[wv],[m4a]
I have added all file types that I want to be submitted.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 04:52:19 am »

Probably be a good idea to have the plugin submit the information from your ipod when syncd as well.
This is the normal function of the last-fm plugin for other players now.

I found this info from the last.fm site:

Last.fm for Microsoft Windows

Size: 5Mb installer
Version: 1.4.2 (changelog)

Note: This version includes experimental iPod support, learn more:

How can I scrobble tracks played on my iPod?
To use the Last.fm client to scrobble tracks played on your iPod, you need to use iTunes and make sure that its "Manually manage music and videos" setting is disabled. You'll find this setting by clicking on your iPod in the left-hand sidebar, and then going to the Options section of the Summary page that shows up.

The first time you connect your iPod with Last.fm installed, a window will pop up asking you if you want to scrobble from the iPod from now on. Here you also associate it with a specific Last.fm user account.

Disconnect your iPod, listen to some tracks, and connect it again. Now iTunes will sync with it and update its internal play counts with any new plays on the iPod. Once iTunes is done, Last.fm will analyze iTunes's newly updated play counts to find out whether there were any new plays on the iPod. This could take a while. If new tracks were found, Last.fm will pop up a window showing you the tracks and ask you if you want to scrobble them.
Can I scrobble from an iPod that is manually managed?
There's currently no support for manually scrobbling from your iPod or scrobbling through syncing with other applications than iTunes, but watch this space for future updates.
Can I scrobble tracks from my iPod Shuffle?
Please note, this cannot be done with First Generation iPod Shuffles. This is unfortunately not possible due to the Shuffle not storing any information about played tracks.

Second generation iPod Shuffle scrobbling however, is supported.
Can I scrobble iPod tracks using Linux?
At this stage, unfortunately not, as the iPod support is dependent on iTunes.
My iPod never gets detected by Last.fm.
First of all, make sure LastFMHelper.exe is running. This is the process that detects iPod-related activity. On Windows, you can check this by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del and look at the list of running processes. On the Mac, you can use Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor to check running processes.

There might still be some problems with detecting certain iPods on some platforms. If you're still having problems, please contact support with details about your operating system, iPod version and Last.fm software version.

Also note, iPhones are NOT supported.
My iPod is detected but no tracks get scrobbled.
Have you set your iTunes library to a custom location? If so, Last.fm might not be able to find it. We will add an option for specifying this manually in an upcoming version.

Next time you sync, check if iTunes itself updates the playcounts from the iPod correctly. If not, there are a few things you can check:
Check that the date on your iPod is set correctly
Try and restore the iPod
Uninstall and reinstall iTunes
Do I need to have iTunes running to scrobble from my iPod?
Yes, the Last.fm application will only scrobble iPod tracks after the iPod has synced with iTunes. So therefore, we suggest you set iTunes to automatically start when you plug in your iPod.
Does Last.fm have to be running when I plug in the iPod?
No, there's a separate background process called LastFMHelper.exe running at all times which will launch the Last.fm app if needed after you plug in your iPod.

Are there other programs that support sending iPod play stats?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

TheDuke

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 07:46:18 am »

Thanks for that. All sorted now. Was really quite obvious, just needed to include m4a to the string. I feel quite dumb now.

As for the ipod. I can manually submit the tracks with a couple of methods. I think it would be a good feature for MC in the future to send off the information directly when syncing the ipod for playstats. Would save a heap of messing around.

cheers

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 01:30:43 am »

I second the request for play counts from ipod to be sent to last.fm thru MC.
(I currently have to use Audiopod+ first then sync with MC)

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 01:53:21 am »

I second the request for play counts from ipod to be sent to last.fm thru MC.
(I currently have to use Audiopod+ first then sync with MC)

That's the way I do it too, but I have lost quite a lot of stats this way, because I keep forgetting to close MC and it's server first before connecting the Ipod. If I don't close MC and the server, the stats will be erased by MC before they can be submitted by Audiopod.

adamgolding

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 07:22:49 pm »

can't this risk of losing stats be avoided by disabling automatic sync in media center?
Pages: [1]   Go Up