Poll

Adding an Option to Move all Files in Folder when Renaming

Yes
- 19 (100%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename, Move & Copy Files - Feature  (Read 3951 times)

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Rename, Move & Copy Files - Feature
« on: May 17, 2008, 03:24:47 pm »

Hi,Everyone

First of all,thanks to the MC Team. You're doing great Work!!!
I Use MC 12 in my HTPC and I think it's the Best Media Center Software because
I tried many of them. ;D ;D

Now,My Question.
Is there any Chance to put an Option MC 12 to move all Files to the Destination Folder from the
Source Folder when renaming Files and Folder Location changes.
For Example I have lot of Movie & Music Files in Folders wich are containing additional Pictures & Lyric Files.
When I Rename these Files to go to another Location I have to copy Manually the Rest of the other
Files. These Files should only be moved to the new Media Files location and not renamed.
Would be great to Enable and Disable this Function.
Perhaps this would be also an Option to Move the Complete Video_TS folder for DVD's because they won't move to a new Location when renaming??? ::)
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

llafriel

• World Citizen
Re: Rename, Move & Copy Files - Feature
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 04:03:55 pm »

+1 for this one. Option to move all folder content would be very useful.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 04:12:53 am »

+2

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:44:43 am »

Absolutely YES... I use the Folder.jpg option and that alone is always left behind and I then have to manually move and cleanup. So it makes sense to have that option.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 12:01:12 pm »

Currently, for DVDs I do a rename only (no moving) of the filepath using Rename, Move & Copy Files. Then  manually move the folders outside MC and everything works out fine. Yes, it'd be so much simpler if it could be done within MC as suggested in this thread.

trentino

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 09:12:06 pm »

Yes this would be great -- would save a lot of time!  It's frustrating to have to go back and move all the other files (folder.jpg, special notes, related image, etc.) manually after you've renamed files/folders.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 04:09:16 am »

Well, there is a workaround:

Import all those extra files in MC12 as well. Then they are part of the library and they will be managed by the "Rename file..." function as well. Of course it much depends on your naming conventions how well you can do that. To move "folder.jpg" around, you should only rename the folder and not the filename!

This worked for me very well in some occasions.

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 09:03:39 am »

Hi

Ok,that's an idea,but i think if i do so i go from one problem to another one.
1.I think this solution is a littlebit better but doesn't do the trick.
   The "double"work stays the same.Rename the Media Files and move the other ones would really be better.

2.The second Thing is that i don't want to import the other Files like Securerip.log,Folder.jpg,Lyrics etc,...
   They are only for Info or if have to look up for something in the folder.
   Importing them would rather bring chaos to my Photo & Document Library.(Hundred Files of Folder.jpg, and so on)
As I said I use a Remote to control my HTPC, so the Media Library has to be well organized,so would prefer not to
import Files that are not needed for Playback. I know i could ignore those files with rules,but ends up with more work and more work,......

And I think the other Posters are the same Opinion,or am I wrong?

Greetings to MC Team
Onkyo TX-NR906

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 09:09:34 am »

I like the idea.  However, it's not clear how to do it.

There are some tricky things, like:

• What happens if you're moving files from one folder to two or more other folders?
  • How do you display what is going to happen to the user?
  • What if you had a file in the C:\Windows directory, and enabled this option?

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 09:37:34 am »

Hi, Matt

Point 1
In my Case,this files should be in all folders (Copy to all destination folders and delete them from the source folder)
And if there are more source folders,they should move to the right destination folders
Point 2
What do you exactly mean for this point? (Sorry, I'm from Austria -> No perfect English Man  ;D)
Point 3
I do not have any MP3,Photos etc,... on drive C: (Too dangerous for me:System Crash errors,Install new OS and forgot to move Media Files
to another location= :'( - Or for some other reason)
I always make an extra partition for music,photos and video
But how about an option to exclude (.exe,.dll,...) system files or hidden files.Should do the trick???

And perhaps a option to turn this feature On and Off.
What do the others think?  Any Ideas?
Onkyo TX-NR906

MusicHawk

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 10:29:08 am »

Managing secondary files is a real need, but can get deep and complex, or not, depending on the internal structure of MC's database. Can it do multi-table relations?

With even a loose one-to-many "relational" approach, lots of doors open. Assuming the visible table of the primary media files (music, etc) is the primary table, there might be a secondary table contains info about secondary files: types, names, locations, and what primary files they relate to. If every record in the secondary table is related by a key to the primary table, when a file location is changed in the primary table, its secondary files can automatically be identified and changed, etc.

Except for the related-by-key cross-links (and associated plumbing) the secondary table could be just like the current primary table, therefore MC's various tools could be applied to it.

MUSIC FILE in primary table
related by permanent key to any number of records in secondary table, such as:
-- front cover art .jpg
-- back cover scan .jpg
-- lyrics .txt
-- liner notes .txt
-- comments .txt
-- whatever

When a library (primary table) is opened, so is the secondary table in the background. Mostly a library's secondary table is updated automatically by changes in the primary table, but it could be accessed directly via a tab or menu option. Just protect the unique keys in each table that form the relationship (probably hide them).

Another benefit of a two-way link between primary and secondary files would be better handling of orphan "cover art". If the secondary table has contents not related to the primary table, it's easy to identify as orphaned. I use a central "coverart" folder as better for my needs than the other two methods, and right now, it has many, many orphan cover files that I "know" aren't targeted by any music files in the primary database, but I can't easily "prove it". I'd love to identify orphans and clean up the central folder.

Having a two-way table relationship could also help automate switching among cover art options such as Folder.jpg to Artist / Album to central folder and back.

This also could make it easier to alter the filenames and locations of secondary files and not break (or even touch) the primary media files. Just update the secondary table.

I know, it's  easy to dream up stuff that is a big job to build ...
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 03:00:39 pm »

Stuckmojo

How to display to the user in advance what will happen *before* the move ?

This seems like an option thats nice to have but could be downright dangerous in  wrong tired hands.

Will there be the option to Undo in case it goes horribly wrong ?

Does the effort to check it all went right kinda negate the usefulness of this idea in the first place ?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 05:22:08 pm »

I like the idea.  However, it's not clear how to do it.

• What happens if you're moving files from one folder to two or more other folders?

A feature like this has always been something that I've wanted.  I have the "Secure Rip" logs saved in the album folders, so I run into this all the time when wanting to change my album paths.  I've used a couple different methods to work around this, but I've never found a process that works all that well.  Integrating an option to move "all files in folder" would solve this issue nicely, but the "tricky situations" Matt brings up are excellent points that weren't obvious at first glance.

I'm honestly not sure how to deal with this -- every idea I come up with leads to other questions and issues.  I just wanted to mention that if somebody came up with a clever way to make this work, it would definitely be something I'd use.

Larry

johnnyboy

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 09:36:24 pm »

I like the idea.  However, it's not clear how to do it.

Create an option that locks all files that are currently grouped together in one folder to the same folder.
I have never got MC to rename all my folders even though I want to change them all from:

[Artist] - [Album]  to [Artist] - [Album] - [Year]

Purely because I dont want to have to manually do the left over's from 600+ albums.
I've wanted this option for a LONG time and knowing that all files currently grouped together would stay grouped together would be a HUGE peace of mind for me (on many occassions have done rename to [artist] - [album] to then realise at some later date that I have messed up a bunch of albums because they were compilations so they are now all in seperate folders).

It would in effect just simply move / rename the folder - it wouldn't rearrange the files inside of folders at all.
Have no idea how you would word this but it'd be an awesome feature! :)

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 06:47:45 am »

Managing secondary files is a real need, but can get deep and complex, or not, depending on the internal structure of MC's database. Can it do multi-table relations?

What he said! :D

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 07:32:13 am »

I use Tag&Rename because of this funtionality. They call it "rename folder" wich of course implies that you rename or move the folder, and everything within 'stays'.
What if you had a fourth choice in the dropdown box called 'rename or move folder', and when this is chosen the filename options are greyed out. And some folders could be made illegal, ..\windows\ etc.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 07:51:51 am »

I use Tag&Rename because of this funtionality. They call it "rename folder" wich of course implies that you rename or move the folder, and everything within 'stays'.
What if you had a fourth choice in the dropdown box called 'rename or move folder', and when this is chosen the filename options are greyed out. And some folders could be made illegal, ..\windows\ etc.

this seems to simplify things as well as clarify what it will do, no?
. . . the game is rigged

johnnyboy

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 09:39:48 am »

I want to rename the files as well - I just want them locked into the folder they are already in! :)

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 11:16:09 am »

I want to rename the files as well - I just want them locked into the folder they are already in! :)

I actually wish the folder could become a 'container' locking it's contents within to be treated as one for all handling unless first 'unlocked'.
In my perfect world this would include copy, move, rename, and playback functions, with filetype specific functions such as analyze audio being only applied to those files within the container to which it is applicable and the others passed-by (rather than returning an error or greying-out the options as done now).
Wouldn't this also greatly reduce the amount of data and entries MC must sort and handle?
. . . the game is rigged
Pages: [1]   Go Up