INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to Stream Media to a PS3 (MC12 UPnP / MC12 Server / Other Progs)?  (Read 8446 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

Unfortunatly I've found myself without my HTPC for a couple of weeks (BIOS/M'Board prob) and hence can not play any Media / DVD / Blu-ray etc on my AV setup!  However I have all my media (Video / Audio / Pics) on the "main" network connected PC also running MC12 and I could stream this to a PS/3 for rendering to AV setup but what is the "best" app / method to do this?  In particular I want to be able to stream:

Video Formats / Containers
MPG (including those with DTS soundtrack)
M2TS (could be MPEG / MPEG4-AVC / VC-1 & DD / DTS / LPCM)
AVI - DV files

Audio Formats
WMA Lossless

I've so far tried:
- MC12 Server: PS/3 does not see it
- MC12 UPnP: PS/3 can see it and connect but I can only play Audio and non of my WMA Lossless as the PS/3 does not support it
- Windows Media Player: PS/3 can see it and connect but problems with WMA Lossless, MPG with DTS (no sound), AV-DV files (unsupported format)

Other ideas:
- MC12 Mach Player - ??
- TVersity - ?
- TwonkyVision
- Others?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

- MC12 UPnP: PS/3 can see it and connect but I can only play Audio and non of my WMA Lossless as the PS/3 does not support it
MC's UPnP server can convert to MP3.  It's configured in the options for UPnP.

Sorry about your mobo.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Had a play with TVersity and it is "OK" with it's strenghts:
1) Free
2) Easy to setup
2) Video Streaming - streams most "Std" Video files to the PS3 (and apparantly most other devices) just fine
2) Audio Streaming - streams Audio as PCM which is nice (better than MP3)

It's weaknesses are:
1) Video Streaming - nil filter selection / managment to tackle those less than Standard formats (eg for me it is the MPEG/DTS files that play without sound and the Anamorphic AVI-DV files that are played as 4:3 not 16:9)
2) Not so stable (the sever seems to crash in Vista occasionally)
3) Little Media Organisaiton

I see from their site they do do plug-ins with commercial companises (but for a charge) but imagine combining this with MC12 with it's better filter selection / mgt, stability and organisational prowess.....!!  ;D

Thanks
Nathan

EDIT - TwonkyVision was not an option for me as it does not do any transcoding - just streams the file to the device.
JRiver CEO Elect

Jinster

• Recent member

What firmware are you using on PS3, Jmone?

Mine can see the MC12 UPnP, but fails to connect at all. Gives a DNLA error.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

The latest (V2.35) but I did not really play with the MC12 UPnP as I was trying out video streaming.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator

We can probably get UPnP working on the PS3 if anyone wants to help.  Our wiki (link above) has info on how to do this.

E.O.D.DJ

• Recent member

I looked around on the wiki and didn't see any reference to PS3 or way's we could help apart from the general information about upnp. Anyone had any luck getting it to work with a PS3 these days, or is this still a work in progress?

JimH

• Administrator

If you would like to help, the Wiki does have info.  Try a search for "ethereal".  It's the old name for a network sniffer that can help.

eso

• World Citizen

As I mentioned before in another thread, some versions of the PS3 firmware starting with 2.0 had a bug which prevented them from playing files from the MediaCenter UPnP server although the server was browsable from the PS3. Some weeks ago a PS3 update restored UPnP playback with MC. The following UPnP server settings work for me - Advanced mode, with the following options enabled:
  • Skip Child Count
  • Experimental DLNA

JimH

• Administrator
Pages: [1]   Go Up