INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing mp3's with new flac rips  (Read 2980 times)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Replacing mp3's with new flac rips
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:09:10 pm »

Hi, I've got a pretty substantial collection of mp3's ripped at Lame -v0.  However, I just indulged and bought an ipod classic 160gb, and my collection is too large to fit on it. So....I'm doing the thing that I should have done in the first place (HD space was not as cheap, however) and rerip my collection to flac files so I can convert them to lame -v6 for portable use as opposed to transcoding.  Is there an easy way for the incoming flac files to automatically overwrite the exisitng mp3's so I don't have to go through and determine which albums I have duplicates in between mp3 and flac? Perhaps a smartlist or something and I can mass delete?

Thank you!
Bryanhoop

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Replacing mp3's with new flac rips
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:19:51 pm »

MC can automatically transcode the files (and keep them in a cache so it doesn't have to do it over and over again) when you transfer them to the handheld, so manually creating MP3 versions of all of your new FLAC files is not necessary.  Just check out the options in the handheld section after connecting your iPod.  This is nice because MC will manage the files (FLAC + MP3) as a "stack" and they work as though they are one file in MC.

As far as the FLAC rips... Could you provide more detail on exactly what you need help with?  I'm not clear on what you're asking at all.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:46:33 pm »

I think he wants to rerip.

EDIT

I wrote the following instructions three years ago:

In case someone wants to rerip old albums in better quality changing also the file format is quite possible.

I have done this many times:

I have an old album that I have ripped in MP3 format. The files are perfectly tagged, but the audio quality is not good enough anymore. I want to rerip it in the Monkey's Audio format.

At first I rename the old album files (which are in a separate album folder) from properties using [track #] as the only rule. Then I use the Find and Replace tool for replacing the .mp3 filename extensions with .ape.

Then I rerip. I rip into a temporary folder and use again [track #] as the only rule.

I get filenames like this: 01.ape, 02.ape, 03.ape, etc.

After ripping I remove the new APE files from the library (or use a temporary library for ripping).

Then I replace the old files with the new files using Windows Explorer.

Inside MC I need to do three quick steps for the now replaced files in this order:
Update Tags From Library, Update Library From Tags and Rename Files From Properties (using a proper rule).

The last step is to reanalyze the files. The difference is usually very small, but I want it to be perfect.

In this way I can preserve all library information, including the statistical information and original import dates.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 02:28:50 am »

Don't the new options in the "Rename, Move & Copy Files" tool make this quite an easy task now?
It's been a while since I did one of these here, I would need to check before commenting further. Anyone else?

Note:
A word of caution needs to be added to Alex B's walk-through for v12 users regarding auto import.
Make sure it's turned off before replacing files using explorer, otherwise, auto-import could very well completely remove the records from your library before you get a chance to perform the three "Update" steps.
Tools > Auto Import Options > uncheck "Run Auto Import in the background". Press OK

-marko.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 06:31:34 am »

Don't the new options in the "Rename, Move & Copy Files" tool make this quite an easy task now?

It's been a while since I did one of these here, I would need to check before commenting further. Anyone else?

I think it can simplify the process a bit, because some of the old tools are now combined.
Maybe we could rerip a couple of albums and create revised instructions...

A rerip feature has been requested several times. An up-to-date walk-through might help. Perhaps JRiver could then find a way to automate the process.

Note:
A word of caution needs to be added to Alex B's walk-through for v12 users regarding auto import.
Make sure it's turned off before replacing files using explorer, otherwise, auto-import could very well completely remove the records from your library before you get a chance to perform the three "Update" steps.
Tools > Auto Import Options > uncheck "Run Auto Import in the background". Press OK

Since I have Auto-Importer usually disabled (or at least the automatic house-keeping options), I often forget to mention that. Perhaps I should add a warning to my signature. :)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up