INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how can I find Doubles in Audio Library  (Read 3370 times)

pecorp

• Recent member
how can I find Doubles in Audio Library
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:47:37 pm »

I am wanting to find the songs in my music Library that I have double or more of, and keep the best quality. How can I bring up a list of those songs .  Thanks.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: how can I find Doubles in Audio Library
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 05:07:25 pm »

You can do this using a basic smartlist:
right click on playlist in the left tree and select "Add Smartlist". Select "Import / Export" at the top right.

If you paste [Media Type]=[Audio]~dup=[Artist],[Name] ~sort=[Artist],[Name], you'll get a list with files in library with the same Tag information for Artist and Trackname.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:12:41 pm »

Note that Title is misspelled Titel

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:06:41 am »

Note that Title is misspelled Titel
:o

I had changed my library filed "name" to "Titel" (german spelling) and forget about this when posting my answer. I guess instead of "Title" it has to be "name" as this is the standard display name for this field. I modified my first posting.

Sorry for this!!  :-\

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 03:43:37 pm »

Is there a way for MC to find doubles based on audio fingerprinting rather than tag info?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:40:59 pm »

Not realy. But a smartlist can do something very similiar like fingerprint comparison for you.

Create a smartlist and add this rule via import/export:
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~dup=[BPM],[Intensity],[Replay Gain],[File Size]

This only works for audio files allready analyzed via Tools -> Library Tools -> Analyze Audio. It just compares the MC analyze values and the filesize of each audio file in your library. If there are two or more files in it with the same values in all this fields, they'll be shown. If you want to, you may use this rule whichs includes more values:

[Media Type]=[Audio] ~dup=[Bitrate],[BPM],[Compression],[File Size],[Intensity],[Replay Gain],[Duration],[Peak Level]

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:28:28 pm »

Bummer.  I know MC uses some sort of audio fingerprint algorithm to identify songs for YADB.  I'm not sure what it compares or any details.  Would be handy if that sort of audio fingerprint analysis could be used to find duplicates (or potential duplicates) of songs in a library or playlist.  That way you could find duplicates that are encoded differently (maybe one MP3 and the other FLAC).

I hope such a duplicate finder feature is on J River's feature wish list.

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 05:45:47 pm »

Few people seem to be interested in eliminating dupes by comparing the 'audio content' less all tags.  AFAIK, there is no  third party app yet that will scan and compare only the content, disregarding all tags, because of the way tags are attached to either the beginning or end, or both, of the audio.

Since I have about 160,000 tunes, about 20,000 of which are (were) dupes or trips or more, I have a vital interest in dumping exact dupes, and use a multi-step process as a successful process for most, but not all, duplicates.

1. I write something to a tag (I use a # in the access rating tag)--this insures that there are id3v2.3 tags

2. I delete the id3v1 tags

3. I clean and re-write tunes to name-artist-album filenames, using symbols (+++) to signify to the dupe finder that the files have no v1 tags

4. I scan with DoubleKiller, having arrived at the settings that work most effectively for me:

In Comparison Options, I check size with a tolerance of plus/minus 4kb, and check content kbytes 31 to 1540, seen from end of file, and fingerprint (crc32). 

Theoretically the audio has no tags at the end anymore...I have played around for many hours to get this far, but there are still 'similar' or apparently 'identical' files I can't seem to filter out, but are apparent in MC.  The .chm help file with DoubleKiller discusses techniques in detail, but actually isolating the audio for scanning is apparently rocket science for programmers...

Since I convert all .flac and other formats to .mp3 before adding to my processing and my library, this may contribute to the difficulties.  I have never seen comments regarding how bitrate and conversion affects crc.

Even though the 'duration' values in MC are in seconds there are unexplainable wide inconsistencies that lead me to believe that MC duration is seldom a reliable guide for dupe finding...maybe .mp3 bitrates have a significant effect on the duration.  I have tried re-converting .mp3s to a uniform bitrate but there is no change in MC duration.

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 02:54:54 am »

Not realy. But a smartlist can do something very similiar like fingerprint comparison for you.

Create a smartlist and add this rule via import/export:
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~dup=[BPM],[Intensity],[Replay Gain],[File Size]

Very handy! I have removed file-size from this list, though, and kept [Peak Level]. Sorting by the same then lets me determine which files MC considers duplicates which makes the deleting process a little easier.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 08:17:52 am »

I played around with this list:

[Media Type]=[Audio] ~dup=[BPM],[Intensity],[Replay Gain],[Duration],[Peak Level]

It only compares JRiver analyze values and the file duration. I thougt this would come close to something like a fingerprint analyze (whatever this means exactly...). This list should also find duplicates encoded with different formats. So I selected 3 mp3-Files and encoded them to different formates (ogg, wav, wma). I imported the files and analyzed them. They all got different values for replay gain and bpm (!!).

In fact my list didn't find any of my duplicated files!

Why is the bpm value different for the same song encoded with different encoders? Why the replay gain?
Pages: [1]   Go Up