INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Bug" in database logic for "image file" field  (Read 1610 times)

galahad1974

• World Citizen
"Bug" in database logic for "image file" field
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:31:40 pm »

Well, maybe noit a bug, but a problem anyway.
When Cover art is added to a video the path and name of that file are pushed into the "Image file" field.
That is unless the image file is writen to the same dir as the video file, in that case the field just holds the name of the file as MC assumes the path is the same.
as far as that goes, its fine.
the problem comes in whn you let mc move that file.For image art in a central , or other directory, the image file field is still accurate as mc dosent touch this field on move of the video file. The problem is if you have MC storing the art in the same folder, and that entire path isnt stored in the database field. the next time mc looks for that image file it cant find it, since the database says its in the same directory, but its actually still in the old directory.

The simple solution here is to have mc stre the full path no matter where the file exists, so that even after a move the Database field still points to the correct location,

the complex (but preferrable) answer is to have mc move these files with the video file.

Thoughts?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: "Bug" in database logic for "image file" field
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 05:51:36 am »

The simple solution here is to have mc stre the full path no matter where the file exists, so that even after a move the Database field still points to the correct location

This would be a very unfortunate change. I could accept it only as an option.

Here's why:

During the last few years I have used MC for moving my "auxiliary" files together with the main media files. It is possible because MC can handle and tag image files and documents as well as audio and video files.

Here are some old example screenshots from my library:

Click to enlarge.

Click to enlarge.

I have imported the cover art, other related image, document, subtitle, etc files and tagged all files with common basic tags (the tags that I may use in a naming rule if I move the files). For tagging and renaming files I use "all media" view schemes which don't have media type restrictions.

Since I always store the linked cover art file in the media files' folder the link doesn't contain a path and it will always be correct if the folder and all files inside it are moved.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

galahad1974

• World Citizen
Re: "Bug" in database logic for "image file" field
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 08:35:44 am »

well, i can definitly see how it might cause an issue for your method, but it still seems like fautly logic to me to store different data in this field based on the location of the file relative to another file only in certain circumstances that dont always remain true. If the field contains path data is should for all files, if not,then it shouldnt. at the very least, if it is going to be conditional the database should manage that condition itself, other wise, it can and does have the ability to make itself incorrect...intentionally. (just my opinion of course)
Pages: [1]   Go Up