INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TiVo HD video recorder setup  (Read 4896 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
TiVo HD video recorder setup
« on: July 06, 2008, 12:34:40 pm »

I just spent a few days getting unhooked from my cable company and the $100 monthly bill.

I bought a directional digital antenna from Radioshack for $80, and mounted it on the second floor gable eave.  Eighteen feet off the ground with a portable drill.  Fun.

I bought a TiVo HD tuner/video recorder for $249 from Best Buy.  It has 18 hour capacity in HD quality.  Not a lot, but it also has USB ports and I'm hoping I can add a drive.

The hardest part (other than overcoming my fear of being 18 feet off the ground) was getting the TiVo remote to control the volume of my receiver.  I have a Sony STR-DG720, and the codes in TiVo's setup wouldn't work.  I did a pretty thorough google search and still couldn't find it.  So I went back to the TiVo manual, and it said to go to www.tivo.com/support and search for "Code Search".  This page was the first place I tried and it worked.  I had to press the channel up maybe 150 times.  Eventually it muted the receiver, and I pressed Enter.

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/howto/How_Do_I_Perform_a_Code_Search_If_None_of_the_Codes_for_My_TV_Stereo_Manufacturer_Work_.html

I hope this will help someone searching for an answer next time.

With the $299 lifetime TiVo subscription, my total cost was around $700 for the changeover.  The digital pictures are almost perfect.  I get occasional dropouts when the trees are moving in a strong wind.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
Re: TiVo HD video recorder setup
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:46:28 pm »

Eighteen feet off the ground with a portable drill.  Fun

Did you use a ladder or the lawn chair/balloons method ?

;D

I get occasional dropouts when the trees are moving in a strong wind.

?

This is what I use:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WiYZzlJgo95/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=Channel+Master+4228+UHF+8%2DBay+HDTV+Antenna+%28Long%2Drange%29&i=6594228

Since they dont make a RF Rotator , yet

and most of my channels come in at 147 and 217 degrees, I just pointed it at 182 degrees.

Here is what the antenna sees:

http://pix01.com/BS@fUUk

I will loose signal in  a storm off my HD Sat. (61.5) long before my OTA.

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
Re: TiVo HD video recorder setup
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:35:49 pm »

JimH,

Glad to see you are a Tivo fan as well....  (sorry to pull up an old thread).

Any chance we will see MC13 implement new Tivo capabilities?  Top on my list would be:

* Slideshows that stream images and music together (HUGE)

* Stream media from MC13

In previous threads, it has been stated that it is a limitation of the Tivo, but I am wondering if recent firmware updates have made it possible?  Tivo plays YouTube and other video, so some amount of streaming is possible, even if limited formats.

The OpenSource tivo server (i forget the name) can do music and pictures together, i think you start the pictures play list and then start a music stream?  It's been a while.

Ideally, I would like MC running on all my TVs (a server with HDMI connections) but I have Tivos for the foreseeable future, so would like to get the most out of them.

thanks,
Rob.

Pages: [1]   Go Up