INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone 3G support?  (Read 29061 times)

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Re: iPhone 3G support?
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2008, 08:35:33 pm »

Further to my last post (iPhones are now an issue for me as my wife went and got one) ...

http://jrmwillis.googlepages.com/ this fellow has an WMP<-> iTunes metadata syncing program... maybe JR could recruit some help to make gummbah and gly's suggestion come to pass... ;)

IMHO, the API route shows some potential, although I see copytrans (copytrans.net) have managed to get past the new firmware

[edit] Another option ... (for JR)... get the source code and roll with it .. http://www.getsharepod.com/fordevelopers/

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2008, 03:43:51 am »

Did some of you guys figure out yet how to copy ratings from MC to itunes using iTSFv?
My guess is that MC does not write rating tags in a standard way.
Tag&Rename does also not recognise the rating tags written in MC.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2008, 03:59:50 am »

Nevermind, this great scripting thing does what I was looking for:
http://home.comcast.net/~teridon73/itunesscripts/

Cheburashka

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2008, 06:24:11 pm »

I just want to remind JR that this is not the only issue of iPhone/iTunes support that remains outstanding (although it is by far the largest).  The others include (a) proper conversion of files with .cue sheets; and (b) mp4 tagging. 

I've been a customer since MC 11, and I've really enjoyed using it.  I hate not being able to use it now that I have an iPhone.  I really hope JR is able to solve this issue, so I can upgrade to MC 13.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2008, 06:43:06 pm »

We don't plan to chase the iPhone at this time.  I plan to get an Android phone soon, maybe when Motorola does one.

These phones, in my humble opinion, aren't phones.  They are small computers.  A phone fits in my pocket without making old ladies stare at me.  Not that this is necessarily bad or anything.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2008, 06:53:36 pm »

We don't plan to chase the iPhone at this time.  I plan to get an Android phone soon, maybe when Motorola does one.

These phones, in my humble opinion, aren't phones.  They are small computers.  A phone fits in my pocket without making old ladies stare at me.  Not that this is necessarily bad or anything.
Understood, but disappointing.

I think this is definitely one of those "will get us new users" features.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2008, 07:41:58 pm »

Understood, but disappointing.

You could let Apple know how you feel.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2008, 10:45:06 am »

Unfortunately, I think it is more of a "will cost us existing users" features.

Keep in mind, we aren't just talking about the iPhone.  We are talking about ALL new iPods, from those released this year on out.  It's also obvious that they are moving towards the Touch-style iPod replacing the rest of their full-sized lineup.  I suspect that next year we will see the Classic will go away (hopefully replaced with a hard-drive based Touch).

I really don't see why the "use iTunes as Handheld" system can't be made to work.  It's baffling.  Seems like a poor business decision.  FWIW... I did forward my concerns onto Apple.  I imagine when they get a few hundred thousand complaints they might listen.  Until then, you're probably on your own.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2008, 11:01:41 am »

Until then, you're probably on your own.
Right.

Cheburashka

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2008, 05:26:27 pm »

Ok, if you want us to let Apple know how we feel, how about making that easier?  I mean, who would we tell?  You might consider setting up a webpage a la the "e-mail your congressman" sites, and soliciting users to use it to tell Apple how we feel.  I'd be willing to spent the 2 minutes of time it would take.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2008, 06:02:39 pm »

Ok, if you want us to let Apple know how we feel, how about making that easier?  I mean, who would we tell?  You might consider setting up a webpage a la the "e-mail your congressman" sites, and soliciting users to use it to tell Apple how we feel.  I'd be willing to spent the 2 minutes of time it would take.
It's a bright idea, but I don't think it would be appropriate for JRiver to guide such a movement.  Feel free to set one up.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2008, 07:41:17 pm »

It's a bright idea, but I don't think it would be appropriate for JRiver to guide such a movement.  Feel free to set one up.
Agreed.

Unfortunately, I think it is more of a "will cost us existing users" features.
I too think this may be the result.

FWIW... I did forward my concerns onto Apple.
Where did you do so? On the support forums? A particular email address? I'm happy to send off a complaint - I'd rather not get it swamped in the Apple support forums though. (especially by the APES - Apple Proponents and Evangelical Society)

jack wallstreet

« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2008, 08:02:15 pm »

I use Ipod hard drive music players exclusively for my music (5 of them), all managed by MC12 (now MC13).  I have hardware and hookups designed for Ipods which I happen to like very much.

Based on the comments from Jim, I made the decision to indefinitely stay with the previous version of the Ipod classic which is now sold refurbished by Apple for $249 (160 gb) - I can confirm they work fine with MC13.  I can stay like this for a long time.

However, at some point in the future I am trusting that JRiver will find a way and will support the new Ipods (and other Apple music devices).  I do think it is important in the long term for JRiver to do so (and certainly is important to me at some point in the future).

Good luck/best wishes to us all on this.
John

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2008, 09:33:55 pm »

Well judging from JimHs comments it sounds like JRiver does not plan to try to support the new iPods which is a shame.  I know Apple is doing some stupid items however making the consumer decide between ipod and your software is not really the best battle to take.  Unfortunate the ipod is very popular which means it has many many accessories for it to work with many devices/cars and makes it an obvious choice for a mobile media device over most options.

So looks like I will have to find another tool to manage my music.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2008, 05:48:49 am »

So looks like I will have to find another tool to manage my music.

Once I had decided (or better: forced) to use Itunes for my iPhone it is not so bad after all. I am increasingly also using it as my media manager and player. The genius function is one of the best I have seen until now (works better for me than radio mode in MC).
And with some third-party software it is possible to monitor folders as well (although still a bit complicated).

kamimeguro

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2008, 05:02:30 pm »

Hi All,

I did follow this thread since I got my iPhone, hoping for a simple and quick way to have my selected music transferred to it.
Looks like we are heading into a dead end without creation of external workaround.
I found that others (at least one that I know) are now adding 3g and iTouch 2 support. See a famous 'Primate' software!

Would it be a solution if JRiver, can develop and create an add-on, that I am ready to pay for, or is it pure anti-Apple I-pod conspiracy?

I have most of my collection in lossless format. May be I am an old stubborn guy, but I will stick to it for 2 reasons: perfect copy and my ears pleasure at home. Media Center is by far the best music manager I have ever used and I want to keep using it. iTunes cannot give me what I need and I am not computer savvy enough to work an easy solution.
Give me hope!

Kami

----------------
Now playing: Eric Clapton - Broken Hearted
via FoxyTunes
Win 10 pro, Oppo 105, Onkyo TX-NR818, Elipson Axial 160, B&W 805S, Linn 5150, Yamaha GT750, Sony KDL-55W900A...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2008, 07:01:33 am »

We may come back to the iPhone in the future, but for now, we're not going to spin our wheels supporting Apple.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up