INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Games Organizer.  (Read 3881 times)

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
Games Organizer.
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:43:16 pm »

Hi

This has nothing to do with media center, but i was wondering if anyone knew of a games organizer that allows you to assemble you downloaded games within the one program, ie reflxive, Gamehouse, Zylom and Big Fish etc.

There is one for console games, but nothing that i have found which allows you organize your downloaded video game collection.

Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Games Organizer.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:10:52 am »

I am not sure what you mean by "downloaded" (does the source of the game program matter somehow?), but you can catalogue, tag and execute installed external programs with MC.

MC can handle almost any kind of data and program files if the "Data Media Mode" option is enabled. (Options > General > Advanced > Features > Data Media Mode)

The easiest way to import specific program files is to drag them from Windows explorer to Playing Now and right-click import from there. After that you can create and configure view schemes and custom user fields for organizing your Game files.

To demonstrate this I created a new root view scheme for Games. I used a custom library field for excluding other file types from the view scheme. For adding cover art I used a workaround: I changed the Media Type field value to "video", added cover art, and changed the value back to "data". Here's a screenshot:

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 05:22:55 am »

I'll try that Alex B, Thanks

Stevenf

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 01:54:01 pm »

Hi Alex B

Sorry about the confusion about the threads, i finally gor it to work, but some of the older games work, but the newer ones do not.

I've included a log file that i recieved with one of the games that does not work. This is It.

Log file
<24.07.2008 - 04:41:18> FATAL ERROR : Access violation!
Exception information
Exception adress : 0x005784b1
Exception flags : 0
Exception code : 3221225477

Any idea what this means, also, i'm currently using onboard graphics:

NVIDIA GeForce 7050 PV/NVIDIA nForce 630a is the onboard display

All The Games work via the shortcuts on the computer, though the newer more powerful games run somewhat slower.

I Hope this helps.

Thanks For All Your Help

Steven F

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 02:27:48 pm »

You could try to drag the actual shortcut files to Playing Now. These files set the correct startup settings.

On XP you can find them in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\...
  or
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\...
  or
C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Start Menu\Programs\...
  or
C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Desktop\...

I have very little experience of Vista, but at least the paths are slightly different. They begin with C:\users\...
In addition, Vista may have new security features, which may restrict file access in certain circumstances.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 11:24:44 pm »

Not using Vista, still XP home sp3, so i'll give that a try Thanks

I've got the games pretty much working right. But the one main problem is adding cover art. I've tried what you suggested, but can't seem to add the coverart, thus making the images in thumb nails much bigger and of better resolution. I'd prefer to view Games in thumbnail view.

Steven F

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 05:15:25 am »

For adding cover art I used a workaround: I changed the Media Type field value to "video", added cover art, and changed the value back to "data".

You need to actually change the field value so that MC thinks the file is video instead of document.

To JRiver:

I am repeating my old request. Please make possible to easily add cover art to document files. It already works by using the workaround, but that is quite tedious. It would be useful with program files (like games in this case), e-books, ISO DVD image files, etc.

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:26:36 am »

I actually tried that, but when i changed the Media Type to video, the game files vanished, so i'm stuck.

Also, is there any way of removing documents, as i don't need both Games and Documents?

Steven F

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:09:09 pm »

I actually tried that, but when i changed the Media Type to video, the game files vanished, so i'm stuck.

Where exactly did you change the Media Type? I didn't mean you should change it in the view scheme options if you did that.

You are supposed to change the Media Type tag. You could add the Media Type column to a "details view" so that you can easily change the value to Video and back to Document.

If you changed the tag value to Video in a view scheme that displays only documents and refreshed or changed the view before changing the value back naturally the files disappered. You can find them in the video category.

Also, is there any way of removing documents, as i don't need both Games and Documents?

Create a copy of the English language folder (it is inside MC's program folder) and rename it as "Games". Open the language.txt file and change

Documents
#!

to

Documents
Games

This will create a new "Games" language (Tools > Language > Games). In this language the Documents tree branch is called "Games".

You should delete the other "Games" view scheme before changing the language.

stevenf

• World Citizen
  • It works for me....
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 12:06:13 pm »

Finally got everything to work. thanks Alex B, your time and help was gratefully appreciated.

Steven F

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 01:06:04 pm »

Create a copy of the English language folder (it is inside MC's program folder) and rename it as "Games". Open the language.txt file and change

Documents
#!

to

Documents
Games

This will create a new "Games" language (Tools > Language > Games). In this language the Documents tree branch is called "Games".
Neat trick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up