INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Iphone Remote-style app for MC control  (Read 23719 times)

jeroen020

• Recent member
Iphone Remote-style app for MC control
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:23:23 am »

Last night I upgraded my jailbroken 16GB v1 Iphone to v2.0. Of course I toyed around with some of the downloads from the App Store and tried the 'Remote' app to control Itunes from the Iphone. It is a fantastic app and a great way to bi-directionally control your PC from your phone with full access to library, playlists and over art. It is pretty similar to how you can control MC from Netremote, but for Netremote I need dedicated devices, while my Iphone is always in my pocket.

It would be great if functionality as offered by the 'Remote' app by Apple for Itunes could also be developed by J River or a 3rd party (Netremote?) so we Iphone users can control our playlist without having to walk over to the PC screen. I would be more than willing to pay $20 to be able to control MC from my Iphone and it's pretty simple to put an app in Itunes so people can pay for it.

This is a separate request to having sync support for Iphone v2.0 / 3G, which already has a thread of its own.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Iphone Remote-style app for MC control
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 08:32:34 am »

There's been a few other requests for this elsewhere on the forums.  Jim said that perhaps they can emulate the iTunes/iPhone interaction and then you'd just be able to use the Apple Remote app and use it with MC instead.  I imagine that getting it working with 3G/2.0 is top priority, and then this would be looked at afterwards.

A second, and perhaps more useful, option would be for them to build a brand new web UI for MC that provides many of the same features in a slick, "web 2.0" way that feels like an application.  (Note to developers: if so, consider using SproutCore which doesn't require proprietary Flash to do it's magic and is free and open.)  Then, a special "skin" for this web UI could be developed specifically for the iPhone.

Now, that wouldn't be quite as slick as a MC iPhone native app, but it could accomplish most of what you'd need/want and would work for people who have other web devices/laptops/umpc/netbooks/etc as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:38:57 am »

Hi Glynor, thanks for your comments. I've seen some other mentions, I just thought this topic deserved its own thread, so we can have a separate discussion on how to use the Iphone/Ipod Touch v2.0 to control MC on this side and how to sync our Iphones/Ipods v2.0 with MC for music, pictures etc in the other topic(s).

A web control interface is cool to, but I do hope to get full two-way control & features like cover art, playlist selection and multi-zone which is what Apple's software (and Netremote) already offer.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:43:21 am »

A web control interface is cool to, but I do hope to get full two-way control & features like cover art, playlist selection and multi-zone which is what Apple's software (and Netremote) already offer.

I agree completely (I started one of those other threads).  However... I think that a well-built web control UI could provide all of those features.  Keep in mind, SproutCore or Ruby or AJAX can do a lot of cool things and can make web apps feel like full-featured desktop applications.  If this road is taken, the reason I suggest SproutCore is that it doesn't rely on the end user having a working Flash implementation or any specific web browser.  Since SproutCore does all of its magic in Javascript, it is fully open and standards compliant, and will work "out of the box" on any browser (including Mobile Safari on the iPhone).

Plus the developer's tools are free and open source.  All you need is a working Ruby installation (it uses Ruby for the developer's environment but doesn't require it for the final "product" which is pure Javascript) and you can easily install it.

Not to say a native iPhone app wouldn't be completely awesome.  Unfortunately, that might require more resources than JRiver has to spend on such a limited market segment.  If not and they want to give us a full featured iPhone App, then I'll just say hallelujah.  However, a good web UI could fulfill this goal and be useful to lots of other people too!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

madmax14304

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 07:16:37 am »

I just tried the "Remote" app for the iPhone and iTunes and... wow.  What a fantastic application.  It's fast, simple and looks great.  It really has be considering using iTunes more (even though it's a horrible application).  Hope a JRiver remote app pops up.

Ripper

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 10:04:48 pm »

I, too, think that providing an iPod Touch/iPhone Application to control Media Center would be wonderful.  It would add considerable functionality to Media Center.  In fact, it is hard to imagine any other feature that would do more to faciliate the control of a computer running Media Center.  Right now, I have a laptop that uses Microsoft's Remote Connect to connect to my desktop, which runs Media Center.  Half the time, however, the computers won't connect, and it is cumbersome to use the laptop as a remote.  The compact, touchscreen iPod Touch/iPhone, in contrast, seems practially designed to function as a remote to control a Media Center-based system.  And I would be willing to pay extra for it.

I just tried the "Remote" app for the iPhone and iTunes and... wow.  What a fantastic application.  It's fast, simple and looks great.  It really has be considering using iTunes more (even though it's a horrible application).  Hope a JRiver remote app pops up.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 02:04:16 am »

Hi,
i second this request.
For me it would be the most interesting new feature.

In my house, it would be great, but on my CarPC, it would be terrific.
I use JR MediaCenter as music source in my car and controlling it via an iPod Touch/iPhone sitting in my steering wheel would be so cool 8)

Fred

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 05:23:48 am »

Hi,
i second this request.
For me it would be the most interesting new feature.

In my house, it would be great, but on my CarPC, it would be terrific.
I use JR MediaCenter as music source in my car and controlling it via an iPod Touch/iPhone sitting in my steering wheel would be so cool 8)

Fred

You have a pc in your car running MC?
Wow.

chippyhawkeye

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 07:18:42 am »

Check out intelliremote.  I have used it and love it with a USB UIRT to control my pc and TV, etc.  It is very intuitive.  The author just released an Iphone App to the App Store.  It basically lets you assign keypresses on the iphone remote to any command on the pc.  I'm pretty sure there is already a MC profile so all the buttons should be mapped for you.  Apple hasn't released the App from Review, but if it is anything like Intelliremote it should be awesome...

Chip

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 04:43:39 am »

You have a pc in your car running MC?

Yes, since a couple of years :)

Fred

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 02:47:57 pm »

If you guys are interested i could write this application that would be a Native iPhone/iPod touch application to control JRiver MC.   I have already written 4 iPhone applications including my first one released here Intelliphone.

I would show you the cover art and navigation controls like Play Pause Stop Next etc and also allow you to scroll the playlist and select from it from your iPhone/iPod touch.

My question is....if I took the time to write it would you guys be willing to purchase it from the AppStore?  Is 4.99 unreasonable?

========================
Melloware Inc.
Take Back Control of your PC!
http://www.melloware.com
info@melloware.com
========================

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 03:15:00 pm »

> would you guys be willing to purchase it from the AppStore?  Is 4.99 unreasonable?

That price sounds totally reasonable. It would make it a no-brainer for me.

If you take this on, I hope you can keep us posted on your progress!

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 08:16:35 pm »

I would be interested in this.
Would there be coverflow-like browsing of the library?
I'd pay $5 for this, no problem.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 09:54:56 pm »

Would there be coverflow-like browsing of the library?

No coverflow browsing.  At least not in Version 1.0.  But the beauty of these apps is I can grow them with features over time and you will always get the updates on your iPhone.  I like to take a "keep it simple stupid" approach to applications and get them really tight first before I add tons of bells and whistles.  The plan is for the Now Playing window which will allow PLAY, PAUSE, SHUFFLE, REPEAT, STOP.  And the Playlist browser will allow you to look through the playlist and select a song for immediate playback etc.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 10:17:16 pm »

Would this require intelliremote to be installed on the pc?
I'm hoping you would instead interface with MC via it's internal web browser or windows messaging commands.
I tried demo of intelliremote but it doesn't work with my infrared transmitter/receiver (Home Electronics Tira2).

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 10:26:18 pm »

Would this require intelliremote to be installed on the pc?

NO. This application has nothing to do with Intelliremote.  It will be a direct connection to the MC application itself through a small server side piece I have to write which will manage the MC Automation Object and send the events and data to the iPhone native application.   Basically on song change events and any other MC notification i will then send data to the iPhone app to update the Now Playing and playlist etc.  And vice versa when you press play on your iPhone App it will call the native MC.Play() api command. 

========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

)p(

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 12:56:40 am »

I think it would need at least the ability to browse your view schemes.

peter

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 01:10:57 am »

I think it would need at least the ability to browse your view schemes.

Can you explain exactly what this means?

Also does anyone have any name sugestions?

RiverPhone
iRiver
iJRiver
??
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

)p(

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 03:03:17 am »

Can you explain exactly what this means?

Also does anyone have any name sugestions?

RiverPhone
iRiver
iJRiver
??

It's the hierarchy setup to browse your libray contents. The power and flexibility in the way you can do this is one of the features of mc in which its way ahead of the competition...

JRiverMControl

peter

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 03:07:09 am »

Would these screenshots be ok?

Yes, but perhaps a bit crowded.

I think for the control options, only Previous / Play-Pause / Next are frequently used. The other buttons (repeat, random, stop etc) won't be used much by me, but as they are kind of small in this design may be accidentally pressed.

Also I'd prefer the volume to be a slider - that will give you both instant visual confirmation on the current volume level as well as a way to quickly slide it to the preffered level (as well as mute by sliding it all the way to the left).

I'm not sure how you'd incorporate playlists, but 90% of my MC listening is playlist-based - I spent a lot of times making playlist suitable for every mood so if I'm able to browse & pick a playlist quickly using this app that would be perfect. I don't care much about coverflow, my library's too big for that. I can however imagine to want to browse for a specific artist or album now and then, so if that would be supported (as on the Apple remote app) that would be a cool feature too.

In the list view, I like it if I could see both the artist and track name as in your overview. Bitrate is nice, but not essential, if I could see the genre of the song instead that would be more meaningful to me.

I'm not sure what the 'info' icon would do, maybe get background info? I was thinking and it would be awesome if you could press this button (or just the cover art when playing a track) and it would pull the artist/track info from last.fm or another source.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this!

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 08:52:04 am »

before we go crazy with requirements.  Remember i am constrained by the API that is provided by JRiver.  So every bell and whistle is not available.

For a first pass I was not going to allow browsing of artists and albums etc...only the current playlist and probbaly loading of other playlists.   The thing that Apple remote does where it allows you to search your catalog is quite impressive.  For example i have 6500 full albums and over 75000 total songs.  You do NOT want to be sending that massive amount of data back and forth to the iPhone.  You have to be diligent about how much data and how much memory is used on the device....so Apple has a very clever backend search engine.  I would have to write something similar for JRiver that is just as fast.

So for the first pass I am thinking more of a controller of your JRiver music and playlist and not a catalog search or adding songs dynamically to playlists etc.

Does that make sense to everybody?  Or is that functionality so critical it's not worth my time to create this if no one thinks it will be worth it??

Also I would love feedback on a name for it!!!!  Please advise.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 09:06:55 am »

before we go crazy with requirements.  Remember i am constrained by the API that is provided by JRiver.  So every bell and whistle is not available.

Point taken... consider them suggestions for your roadmap ;-)

For a first pass I was not going to allow browsing of artists and albums etc...only the current playlist and probbaly loading of other playlists.

Well I would really hope I can view and change playlists from the remote. If I'd still have to walk over to my PC for that that makes the app less useful. Album/Artist browsing is nice to have for me but not a requirement.

Also I would love feedback on a name for it!!!!  Please advise.

How about RiverMote? JRMote? JRMControl?

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 09:25:57 am »

OK so changing playlists is a MUST.  Gotcha...but i am glad you understand about the rest.

I think I am feeling RiverMote.  I think I will go with that unless anyone truly objects!
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 10:12:51 am »

Well,  let me explain the two scenarios where I would use this app and specifics on how I think it should fit into those scenarios.

1) Listening to audio tracks in swimming pool or garage.
I have 4 zones configured in MC.  1: desktop speakers, 2:stereo receiver in living room, 3: outdoor speakers by pool, 4:speakers in garage.

When swimming in the pool, we have a couple of playlists that we generally select depending on who's there.
I have a case for the touch where the belt clips also acts as a stand, much like a picture frame that sits on a table.  This allows the touch to be positioned on a table in landscape mode for movie watching.  We would place it on a patio table.  This would allow someone to skip the current track and also to see the playing now screen.  With the random playlist, I quite often am asked who's playing and it's critical to have that info viewable without having to go inside.  Having the artist and song title in large font here would be great, even if that meant smaller cover art image.
We would only use playlists and never search for or select specific artists.  Launch a playlist, jump in the pool, only touch the device to skip a track.

So, for this scenario, the features required would be the playing now display, controls such as pause and next track, ability to browse the list of playlists in MC and launch one, and ability to select zone 3 so that the output is sent to the proper set of speakers.

Listening in garage.  Similar to pool, except need to select zone 4 so output is sent to correct speakers.
Set the zone, select a playlist, start playback.  Hands would be dirty soon, so probably wouldn't touch device except in rare cases to skip a track.  Would want playing now visible in landscape mode sitting on top of toolbox.

So, to get the best use out of this, the ability to select a zone is important.  I know there are others here that use multiple zones as well.
I know zones can be switched with a keyboard combination as well as a command line switch.  Not sure how it works with their API since I don't write code, I've never looked.

Other enhancements?
Button to toggle view mode between normal and theater view.

I could also see the benefit of using this for watching videos, though that wouldn't work in your version 1.0 since it would require browsing the list of videos and selecting one.  That's not something you do with a playlist.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 11:42:03 am »

Now that is some detailed requirements!!!   I will do my best to make it happen.  I think i will be able to implement a lot of what you guys are asking for.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 12:50:39 pm »

This is my software development motto....

Our Code: "The most successful method of programming is to begin a program as simply as possible, test it, and then add to the program until it performs the required job." - PDP8 handbook, Pg9-64
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 03:15:29 pm »

In that case perhaps you should make a PDP8 version first and then port it to Iphone/Ipod ;-)

But I do agree on the multizone comments, although I'm not using it extensively today I am planning on expanding this (I bought an Airport Express for this purpose). If you would be able to add multizone this would make actually using the multizone capabilities of MC much more attractive, just like how zxsix is using it.

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My Karma ran over my Dogma
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 03:44:08 pm »

Mellow guy

You may want to look at Netremote and see the functionality they have implemented in their Windows Mobile application for J River. They get a lot of very useful functionality into a standard PDA touch screen that I use every day. I would love to drop the Dell Axim I use to run this and go with my iPhone 3G. For me, library browsing is essential thru my home WiFi network. I have large library so it does take a few seconds to load library intially in Netremote but once it is in there it is pretty fast. Good search, controls, playing now, etc .... just doen's run on an iPhone.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 05:40:20 pm »

OK so multizone is a must.  I will warn you however you can only get Now Playing Data etc from the ACTIVE zone.  You will be able to switch zones but only get data from which one is Active.  It is a limitation of the JRiver API and is well documented.  It makes sense to me though, why would you want anything other than the Active Zone's now playing and control?

As for the Netremote. I checked it out and definitely know with JRiver it is possible.  I am more concerned about getting a working first version out there and getting feedback rather than code for 6 months trying to catch up to NetREmote's every bell and whistle.  ALSO, and this is a big also.  They wrote NetRemote for the .NET Compact Framework which is a lot more robust that what you get out of the box with Cocoa and Objective C.  Now with that power you get slow crappy Windows though.   Just thought I should mention that. :)

GREAT FEEDBACK GUYS!
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 06:51:52 pm »

OK so multizone is a must.  I will warn you however you can only get Now Playing Data etc from the ACTIVE zone.  You will be able to switch zones but only get data from which one is Active.  It is a limitation of the JRiver API and is well documented.  It makes sense to me though, why would you want anything other than the Active Zone's now playing and control?

Yes, already aware of this and it's not a problem for me.  Being able to turn on the touch, start your app, and specify a zone to make active is enough for me.  There wouldn't be other zones playing at the same time in my scenario.

Can your app launch MC if it's not already running?
Perhaps I get out in the garage and realize I never went to the server and started MC beforehand.
1) Tap button to launch MC.
2) Tap button or drop-down list box to select desired zone.
3) Select a playlist from choices.
4) Tracks start playing.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 07:04:15 pm »

OK great.  Can the iPhone launch the app on the PC?  Not without some resident program running the PC to signal the start but my application will be a resident program.  I can make it a tray application that you just always leave running?  It can start or shutdown MC for you when the Iphone communicates to it. Sound good?
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 07:11:42 pm »

OK great.  Can the iPhone launch the app on the PC?  Not without some resident program running the PC to signal the start but my application will be a resident program.  I can make it a tray application that you just always leave running?  It can start or shutdown MC for you when the Iphone communicates to it. Sound good?

Yes,  I usually prefer running as a service instead of tray apps, but I realize that MC wouldn't be able to start without a console session being logged in, so that doesn't matter in this case.   Lately I leave the console session logged in but locked.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 07:51:43 pm »

Yes,  I usually prefer running as a service instead of tray apps, but I realize that MC wouldn't be able to start without a console session being logged in, so that doesn't matter in this case.   Lately I leave the console session logged in but locked.

zxsix, I really look forward to working together on this.   Your statement above makes me realize you are a power user who understand Windows and how it works.  Hopefully we can build something beautiful and functional!  I am confident we can.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 10:37:51 pm »

zxsix, I really look forward to working together on this.   Your statement above makes me realize you are a power user who understand Windows and how it works.  Hopefully we can build something beautiful and functional!  I am confident we can.

Apple seems to be a bit slow in putting updated builds in their app store.
How do you propose we do the beta testing?
I have another IT professional also willing to help test this once you have a working alpha or beta available.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2008, 06:50:36 am »

How do you propose we do the beta testing?
I have another IT professional also willing to help test this once you have a working alpha or beta available.

We will do what is called an Ad Hoc distribution which Apple allows.  What basically happens is you and the other tester when we are ready will send me your 40 digit unique deviceId for your iPhone or iPod touch.  I add those two devices to my digital certificate and do a build.  I then email you the build and you have to drag and drop it into Itunes along with a provisioning certificate I send you.  It then just syncs to your phone!!!  Pretty cool huh?

And since the deviceId's are hard wired into the certificate you couldn't give out the BETA to another user even if you wanted to. :)  Sound good?
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

JONCAT

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2008, 08:06:02 am »

This sounds really promising. I am an Intelliremote user (Gyration remote), and it's a solid app.

I have a very similar setup to ZXSIX and I may be purchasing an iPhone (especially if I move overseas). I was looking at an Archos 5 but Netremote doesn't run on it; I thought there was a web-based project going in the 3rd party forum so that may be an option too.

When thing I have configured on my Gryation is the ability to add a rating. I only use ratings for one thing: a 5 star is applied so when listening in the backyard or pool, I can "capture" a record of some amazing song I just heard. On shuffle, songs like this pop up and your're just not sure who it was by as ...you've never even heard it before. Later check your 5-star playlist and figure it out.

Keep up the great work.

DC

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008, 12:38:48 pm »

Sound good?

Ok.  I found serial number in the about screen on the touch, but nothing 40-digits long.
I guess that's probably only shown in itunes then.
We'll figure that out when it's time.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 12:40:44 pm »

Ok.  I found serial number in the about screen on the touch, but nothing 40-digits long.
We'll figure that out when it's time.

OK try and CTRL+CLICK that serial number.  It will change to DeviceId and be 40 digits.  Secrets from apple.
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 01:33:58 pm »

Someone else just gave me a great tip for getting your DeviceId.  There is an App you can download for free called Ad Hoc Helper.  All it does it generate an email with your deviceID in it so you can email it to me from your phone!
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 06:25:32 am »

Hey what's the status on your piece of App melloware?
And a dumb question : what don't you reverse Apple Remote app and build a MC plugin that serves this app instead of building a new app?

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 06:46:59 am »

Hey what's the status on your piece of App melloware?
And a dumb question : what don't you reverse Apple Remote app and build a MC plugin that serves this app instead of building a new app?

That not a dumb question, but would be WAY more difficult.  Apple controls both the iPhone Client and the Itunes "server" server the data.  I only would be able to control the MC server and have to try and figure out exactly what to send.

Controlling both the client and the server allows for max flexibility.  Besides how would you change MC zones since that is not in the Apple interface?  Changing Zones will be a HIGH requirement for MC users according to the experts here.

Does that answer your question?

I hopefully will have Alpha 1 for zxsix to test by the end of this week!
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 07:14:47 am »

Does that answer your question?
Sure!

If you need some iPod Touch beta tester, tell me.
Did you knew MC before?

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 07:17:59 am »

Sure!

If you need some iPod Touch beta tester, tell me.
Did you knew MC before?

I got interested in MC when one of my Intelliremote users suggested I take a look at it and it looked awesome.  Then I saw how robust the API is and I thought "I could write an iPhone controller for this!"

If you would like to see some of my other iPhone work so far...not all are on the AppStore yet...check out my site

As for BETA testing I may just take you up on that!
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2008, 09:52:13 pm »

Info about my device has been sent to your email.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2008, 10:02:30 pm »

Info about my device has been sent to your email.

Got it...will have a real raw beta for you to try later this week! 
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

heywood

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2008, 04:13:14 pm »

a little off topic, but please clarify active zone. I think you mean the zone currently being controlled. Will the API allow for the app to switch control between zones so that you can still play different music in different zones via the itouch app and control the zones or set the zones in motion one at a time.

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2008, 04:16:43 pm »

a little off topic, but please clarify active zone. I think you mean the zone currently being controlled. Will the API allow for the app to switch control between zones so that you can still play different music in different zones via the itouch app and control the zones or set the zones in motion one at a time.

Heywood,

I am new to JRiver but here is what the API allows and here is what the iPhone app will do.  It allows you to see your Zones like Zone1, Zone2 etc or whatever you have them named.  You will be able to click on a zone to set it to the Active Zone.  The Active Zone is the zone that the iPhone is displaying and controlling.  So if you swithc to Zone2 and you have something different playing there you will see that in the Now Playing Window of the iPhone.  Basically you can switch zones but of course the iPhone can only show data and control 1 zone at a time and that is the Active Zone.  Does that make sense?

========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2008, 04:17:33 am »

I highly appreciate the development of an iPhone/iPod controller application for MC!

A suggestion, if not for now, then for later:
Please include song-rating and a "timeline" for fast selection of the song position as it is in the Apple REMOTE app.
But place it on the "main" screen, so it is usable without switching to another window.

Can't wait to buy this app!

Thanks
Fred

Melloware

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2008, 05:49:10 am »

I highly appreciate the development of an iPhone/iPod controller application for MC!

A suggestion, if not for now, then for later:
Please include song-rating and a "timeline" for fast selection of the song position as it is in the Apple REMOTE app.
But place it on the "main" screen, so it is usable without switching to another window.

Can't wait to buy this app!

Thanks
Fred

Hey Fred,

Thanks for the feedback.  I am going to work on timeline if I can but the song rating i am putting at a low priority.  Timeline might slip to version 1.1 if I can't figure it out easy enough or if the API doesn't have anything to support it.  Once I get up and running I will create a forum over on my site to take in all comments bugs suggestions etc!
========================
Melloware Inc.
info@melloware.com
========================

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2008, 02:35:58 pm »

If you get this working on the IPod Touch, I just might have to buy one :)

One other note, I assume you are currently working on this with MC12?  Make sure you test it out with MC13 beta and report any issues to the JRiver team.

-John
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up