INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 12.533 Please help... Can't Play AAC files  (Read 5941 times)

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
MC 12.533 Please help... Can't Play AAC files
« on: September 17, 2008, 09:45:59 am »

Sorry to post this here but after an hour and a half this is the best spot I could find... I have a big problem with MC 12 (V533).

All of a sudden, my paid for version of MC 12 will not play any of my AAc files. it used to with no probs. Now it won't.

They are all on a USB hd, and on another pc, with the same MC 12 ver, it plays them just fine...  exact same files and so forth...  they play on one pc, but no longer on the other...

What can I do?
It's not what you don't know that can hurt you, it's what you know that just ain't so that does the most damage, most of the time!

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 12.533 Please help... having severe issues
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 09:50:40 am »

what you mean with can not play, are the files not found? is there no sound? do you get an error message?

one thing comes to mind. could it be that the usb hd got an other letter in windows?

:)
gab

oh.. and i guess the best spot to post this would be the mc12 board.  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 12.533 Please help... Can't Play AAC files
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:54:09 am »

AAC files can be played in MC if QuickTime is installed.  There are also DirectShow filters available but not included with MC.

Try playing the files in QuickTime on both machines.

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 11:10:42 pm »

Well, I'm very sorry this cry for help is out of place... but I did sincerely look around a lot first. The only MC 12 spot I could find was a no post thingy.

It's like this...  I’ve got several desktops and laptop pcs.  Previously all would play just about any file type. Sometimes I had to change to another output thingy… WAVE out, Direct Sound Out, ASIO… depending on the file itself… in MC12 of course…. And all were using the same USB hard drive, which has 3 partitions, two of which are filled with 15 K of apple lossless files… AAC

But AAC… m4a, and m4p… all played fine…. THEN.

Not now.

I can put the USB 500gb  HD ONTO ANY OF THE PCS, AND ONLY ONE OF THEM WON’T PLAY THE AAC files any more. The others do them just fine. Naturally the main pc is the one that won’t play them anymore.

The error message says; …media types of the selected files are not supported.

I’ve even tried uninstalling, and reinstalling both itunes 8, and putting in an older version of iTunes… then reinst MC12 again… even went with an older version of MC12 too on a couple of go rounds.

NADA. NOTHING.

I even used Acronis back up to reinstall the whole blamed pc! Resetting all the settings trying to get this MC 12 to play AAC files again… and got zip for it.

The protected files, the mp3s, FLAC & WAVE  will  now play, only. No lossless AAC.

I checked out the aspect of the partitions getting an added ? and renaned them just in case to their orig names. Still zilch. NADA.

Made sure Quck time had access and NADA…. Although, QT plays the AAC great!  Hmm…. And it’s FREE.

I’ve spent all day and part of last night trying to get this gizmo to go again… and it flat out won’t play AAC m4a files any more.

Stick a fork in me I’m done!! Clueless!!

Any more suggestions?  ….please?  Or am I just screwed!

Thanks so very much.
It's not what you don't know that can hurt you, it's what you know that just ain't so that does the most damage, most of the time!

gregeas

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 06:20:11 am »

I'm having the same problem. Definitely seems to be caused by iTunes 8. Everything worked fine up until I installing iTunes 8. Now I can play or import m4a files.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 06:23:45 am »

Apple Lossless is not the same as AAC. AAC is a lossy codec. Both formats are normally stored in the MP4 container file type. Apple uses the .m4a filename extension with unprotected AAC MP4 and ALAC (Apple Losless Audio Codec) MP4 audio files.

With ALAC problems this thread might help:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47737.0

I'd recommend installing the DC-Bass Source filter and trying the DirectShow decoding option. (see the linked thread for more info).

The DC-Bass Source filter should work also with AAC/m4a.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 06:54:17 am »

Is the machine that doesn't work the only one with iTunes8?

If so, check the version of QuickTime on machines that work and don't work.  If they don't match, try installing an older version of QT on the one that doesn't work.

Apple isn't very nice.

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 03:36:42 pm »

Apple Lossless is not the same as AAC. AAC is a lossy codec. Both formats are normally stored in the MP4 container file type. Apple uses the .m4a filename extension with unprotected AAC MP4 and ALAC (Apple Losless Audio Codec) MP4 audio files.

With ALAC problems this thread might help:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47737.0

I'd recommend installing the DC-Bass Source filter and trying the DirectShow decoding option. (see the linked thread for more info).

The DC-Bass Source filter should work also with AAC/m4a.

================================

Thanks but having installed the CCCP... and BASe ?? do hickey... reinstalled the itunes AND MC 12.533... I'm in the same boat still!

Each PC has the same apps more or less on them... itunes, MC 12.533, or 5.12 on the laptop... and only this one doesn't handle the non protected AAC/m4p files...

I'm figuring I am as dumb as a stump here... or just stumped.

Likely... very likely... it's all in how I'm configuruing this PC. I have no DIRECT SHOW applet for AUDIO in MC 12... ONLY in the video section is there something like that. When opened, well, then I'm lost entirely.

Add to that I'm severely clueless in configuring anything in there...  The last thing I can do is set each pc side by side and go through their MC 12 SETTINGS AND SET THE 'BAD' PC TO THOSE OF THE ONE WHCIH WORKS...

BOTH,   BTW... are runing SP 3... one xp box, (it works), one XP Pro that doesn't... anymore.

I probably haven't clicked the right box somewhere...

any step by step confi details would help out I'm sure.

Thanks kindly...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 04:47:45 pm »

I have no DIRECT SHOW applet for AUDIO in MC 12... ONLY in the video section is there something like that. When opened, well, then I'm lost entirely.

You need to set the options in "Playback > Video > DirectShow playback settings". Most DS filters are for video playback, but there are also filters for plain audio.

1. Tick and select m4a and press the "Select Filters" button.

2. The button opens a new window (opening it may take several seconds). For enabling the DC-Bass Source filter you need to tick it in the source filter list. No other changes are needed for ALAC playback.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 10:02:09 pm »

Thanks Alex. I'll get to that at first opportunity..

Additionally, how much more than unzipping and placing the DC filter, or CCCP codec is needed? The CCCP thiny went right into the program files... and here again, it's config is beyond me. The Base exe DC thingy however seems to be just sitting in the foler I placed it into flowing the unzipping of it... as i see only it's executable there.

Again, mucho thanks...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 01:40:15 am »

CCCP (actually, its FFDShow audio decoder) cannot play ALAC. The filters that CCCP installs can play AAC on its own. You may need to set it to decode MP4 and AAC (I don't remember it's default settings.)

I have tested DC-Bass Source with ALAC/m4a and it works fine on my PCs. It is supposed to be able to play AAC/m4a as well (without CCCP), but I have not tried that.

You need to run the DC-Bass Source installer file to install it. It does not have any configuration options. If you can see it in MC's DS options (the screenshot above) then it is installed on your system. This is the direct link: http://download.dsp-worx.de/?f=DCBassSource_v1.11_Installer.zip. If you have that file unzip it and run the exe file.

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 03:51:59 am »

Whew!!! I was getting scared here for a while!

Being the quick study sort I usually am, it only took me a couple tries to get it figured out. It's OK now.  Thanks to those snapshots of the window being used… I gotta learn how to do that someday.

That link you posted is just what I had in  place, yet not installed.

I can get rid of the CCCP thingy then, right?

Of the playback options, "OUtput device" ...with that ‘base DS’ filter handling the decoding chores,I can select any of those listed items, correct??? Direct sound, WAVE out, or ASIO, right?

Previously, when it did work without all these changes needing to be made… I would have to choose which output device for certain file types… such as mp3, would not play  WITH asio… ONLY wave OR Direct Sound…. Which I thought was weird.

So many, many, thanks… one last note or two… has anyone made up a users manual for this puppy?

AND…

With many other media players, when you import files or folders into their databases/library… it’s a matter of a few seconds to a few minutes at best, depending upon how many files are being sought out….  I mean it’s select, click, and bam! They’re there! Or shortly will be… NOT SO WITH MC 12…. When I first imported a folder with 6500 files, it took hours!! Several seconds for each file!

How can this task be sped up, or is that just the way it is? Would turning off meta data (if possible) help? Eliminating or turning off ‘Get Album art work’?

I can live with whatever info is being placed onto the file when it’s ripped in EAC or iTunes… I’ve not tried MC12 to rip or burn with as of yet

Sincerely grateful...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 05:17:59 am »

Hmm...  Maybe you could post one or two questions at a time. It would be easier to answer then.  :)

The closest thing to a manual is the DirectShow Playback Guide in the Wiki. Unfortunately there is no single solution that would work for everyone.

CCCP is a very good package for playing many video formats. I don't think it can cause problems if you leave it installed -- especially if you have not installed other DS filters.

The output mode option is separate from the decoder filter. I think the most compatible option is Direct Sound. Normally you don't need to change it unless you have a specific reason.

When MC imports files it checks the file tags and format. Optionally it can analyze the files and try to find cover art from internet. The analyzer decodes the complete files and creates tags for volume leveling. These options should be backgroud processes, but you can disable them if needed.

ALAC/m4a and AAC/m4a use always an external decoder component like the DC-Bass Source filter or Apple's Quick Time. Importing these formats is slower than importing internally decoded formats. MC's default import plugins provide internal support for the MP3, APE, FLAC, OGG, MPC, WMA and Wave audio formats.

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 12:27:41 pm »

I do most appreciate all the input. Truly.

I fail to understand why this instance even occurred.... perhaps some artifact in Windows was corrupted somehow....  but the files I want to work do now work.

i did find one MC 12 library back up FROM JUNE, and hopefully it will integrate into the 533 version so 80% of the files can be re-instituted with some GREATER ease.

On DVD playback, I’m forced to use Cyberlink Power DVD, as my accessibility software usually prevents other DVD software players from working. Power DVD is the only one I’ve found that is compatible.

Of course, if MC12 PLAYED dvdS FOR ME THAT WOULD BE ALL THE BETTER.  IT DOESN’T.

All I care about is MC 12 PLAY MY AUDIO FILES seamlessly and with better sound than that of the rest of the usual fare of media players. By and large, it does just that… albeit iTunes 8 is giving it a run for the money now… yet still comes off a tad dryer sounding than  MC 12… as I pipe the output  into my home audio system. Through that outfit, it’s very easy to discern whose the better or who’s the dog.

Grateful indeed…
Pages: [1]   Go Up