INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Girder 4, Harmony 720, Philips OVU4003-00, & MC12: Get me started!  (Read 9179 times)

thurston

• World Citizen

Not directly related to MC yet, but it will be once I get started...

I need some help getting started with Girder 4.  I'm trying to be patient and have been reading through the Girder manual and online forums, but I still can't figure out how to get Girder to see my inputs from the Harmony.  I have:

1. Harmony 720 Remote

2. Philips OVU4003-00 IR Receiver (http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-OVU4003-00-Infra-Red-Remote-Control-Kit-NEW_W0QQitemZ130243062906QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116)

3. Windows XP with Girder 4 & JRMC12

For use with the PC, I've tried selecting several different emulations (remote codes) from the harmony database, mostly Receiver/Amplifiers because I figured they would have the most buttons. 

Very possible that part of the trouble is that I'm not setting up the remote properly in Girder's Add Remote Wizard.  Since there are only 6 remotes to choose from in the Pick Remote box I select "New" to create my own remote and "Next", but on the next screen I can't get it to detect anything.  I understand that Plugins may be required but don't know which to download.  Do I need a plugin for the remote and one for the IR Receiver?  Will I need a plugin for interfacing with JRMC12?  Where can I find the proper Plugins?  Girder has a download page with several Plugins but none seem (to me at least) to be directly for my hardware.

If I can just get started I'll be good to go for a while but right now it's frustrating.  I considered posting on the Girder Forum, but it doesn't appear to be visited often and I know some of you guys might have a similar setup.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Girder 4, Harmony 720, Philips OVU4003-00, & MC12: Get me started!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:44:20 pm »

better ask on promixis forums..
most likely, your ir receiver is not supported by girder.
what's this philips ir receiver based on?
i use usb-uirt - works just fine. usb-uirt is the ir receiver to use with girder..

--max

Not directly related to MC yet, but it will be once I get started...

I need some help getting started with Girder 4.  I'm trying to be patient and have been reading through the Girder manual and online forums, but I still can't figure out how to get Girder to see my inputs from the Harmony.  I have:

1. Harmony 720 Remote

2. Philips OVU4003-00 IR Receiver (http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-OVU4003-00-Infra-Red-Remote-Control-Kit-NEW_W0QQitemZ130243062906QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116)

3. Windows XP with Girder 4 & JRMC12

For use with the PC, I've tried selecting several different emulations (remote codes) from the harmony database, mostly Receiver/Amplifiers because I figured they would have the most buttons. 

Very possible that part of the trouble is that I'm not setting up the remote properly in Girder's Add Remote Wizard.  Since there are only 6 remotes to choose from in the Pick Remote box I select "New" to create my own remote and "Next", but on the next screen I can't get it to detect anything.  I understand that Plugins may be required but don't know which to download.  Do I need a plugin for the remote and one for the IR Receiver?  Will I need a plugin for interfacing with JRMC12?  Where can I find the proper Plugins?  Girder has a download page with several Plugins but none seem (to me at least) to be directly for my hardware.

If I can just get started I'll be good to go for a while but right now it's frustrating.  I considered posting on the Girder Forum, but it doesn't appear to be visited often and I know some of you guys might have a similar setup.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:47:52 pm »

The Philips unit is for use with an MCE type remote.  I might just have to pay up and buy the USB-UIRT, although I was hoping to avoid dumping more money into this...

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 02:00:25 pm »

here's a thread about this:
http://promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8637

The Philips unit is for use with an MCE type remote.  I might just have to pay up and buy the USB-UIRT, although I was hoping to avoid dumping more money into this...

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 12:57:13 pm »

Thanks.  I had looked at that link before but the link that they refer to is old and doesn't go to the proper spot.  However after seeing your response I read further and noticed that they posted another link on a later page:

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/33616.aspx

which has a FAQ/ tutorial that summerizes the thread:

http://www.byremote.com.au/Hip/mce_remote_faq.htm

This has gotten me started, I have a long way to go though.  I'm still not sure my IR receiver is capable of fully interfacing with Girder and I'm having some trouble getting the Harmony involved, but the ball is now rolling.  I've been reading more of the Girder manual and it is slowly making more sense.  Thanks a lot for the help!

Pages: [1]   Go Up