INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback problem - ASIO  (Read 14791 times)

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
Playback problem - ASIO
« on: October 27, 2008, 03:23:51 am »

I use a Trends USB transport which requires Asioforall when used with Windows XP. After having MC13 on my system for a couple of days now, all of a sudden Asio won't work on either player.The only way I get any sound at all is thru Direct Sound which is wrong. I went back to my sound card that I need to use when I watch DVD's in order to get the DD & DTS sound track and I always use Direct Sound for that connection. Now that connection won't work, I get silence. I try Asio with the sound card and i get sound but it's all broke up. I had zero problems with the playback options when going back and forth between my Trend USB transport and my sound card connections.

I uninstalled the MC12 and reinstalled it but it made no difference. I want my Asio sound back for my Trends and I want my Direct Sound back for my sound card.

Robin

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playback options problem
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:07:09 am »

Installing MC13 couldn't alter the sound device or its driver.  Try setting up the device again.

Make sure any DSP effects in the player are off.

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:16:03 pm »

Installing MC13 couldn't alter the sound device or its driver.  Try setting up the device again.

Make sure any DSP effects in the player are off.

I removed a couple of "hot head" remarks.

Not a problem,,, they were more like "panic" remarks as I spent a couple hours w/o any music before I figured out I could get "something" thru Direct Sound. It's like 1 minute I can't say enough good things about Media Center, I download MC13, and my sound disappears and all at 2am in the evening while I'm listening to music. I panic. Sorry bout that.

Robin

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 12:18:32 pm »

Thanks.

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 12:28:05 pm »

Everything in DSP was shut off, I put Playback in Asio/Asiofor all and I have silence. I don't understand what's going on as I've had this setup work since last feb 08 when I purchased MC12 and I was listening to music up til I rebooted my system and then the music was gone. Even tho I'm getting sound thru a Direct Sound connection, it's not nearly as goos as it was. I'm still in panic cuz I listen to a lot of music and I don't want to go looking for a nother player purchase because of this hiccup. I have uninstalled mC13, and I have uninstalled/reinstalled mc12 twice now, both times leaving the library intact. Trend's USB needs Asio w/Windows XP to sound it's best. Anything else I can do to get back what I once had? Thanks.
Robin

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Playback problem - ASIO
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 12:43:51 pm »

Did you try reinstalling ASIO4all?  Reinstalling other sound card software?

gappie

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 12:47:33 pm »

have you also checked the asio4all settings. it could be that it lost connection. and are you using the latest asio4all.

and no need to panic. i use asio for two computers and it works. tried asio4all a week ago for 12 and 13 without a problem..

gappie

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 01:04:56 pm »

when you put the output mode on asio, check also the output mode settings. is it using asio4all. is the ofset set at 0?

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 02:12:21 pm »

It's yes to all the above. I've downloaded the very latest Asioforall and the output mode setting is set on asioforall v2 with a 0 offset. I tried uninstalling asioforall which made it disappear from the output mode listing, then reinstalling. I use a M-Audio Rev7 soundcard and have a Asio for that also on the output mode selection but it's never used as I only use the Trends USB transport with MC12. I do not use MC12 for DVD's and M-Audio Rev 7 soundcard. I use TheaterTek for that so nothing in the MC12 setting ever get changed. I have never used DirectSound with MC12, it's always been Asio. Not to have it now is unsettling.

What I haven't done was mess with my sound card software. I've never done that before with my 4 year old HTPC but I do have the CD software somewhere if you think it would help downlaoding it again.

Robin

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 02:41:28 pm »

OK, I reinstalled the M-Audio Rev7 software and I now have both DirectSound and Asio/Asioforall v2 working for the sound card. Still tho, Asio/Asioforall v2 will not work with my Trends USB transport. Only Direct Sound is working for the Trends. This is very discouraging as I specifically bought the Media Center because it allowed Asio to integrated so well with the Trends USB transport as so many friends had told me. And I hadn't any issues with it for the 9 months I've been using it. If Asio will work for my sound card, why won't it work for my Trends?

Robin

gappie

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 02:57:07 pm »

now when you look in your asio4all settings, wich channels are for the other soundcard, the trend one. try in mc an ofset of 2, does that work. it could be that asio4all just swapped the channels for what ever reason.

edit: i just looked up the maudio one. try also ofset 4 and ofset 6. if those channels are taking the first 6 channels of asio4all. then who knows...

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 03:23:01 pm »

now when you look in your asio4all settings, wich channels are for the other soundcard, the trend one. try in mc an ofset of 2, does that work. it could be that asio4all just swapped the channels for what ever reason.

In DirectSound, I can choose between the Trends USB and the M-Audio sound card. In Asio, I have a choice of assioforall v2 and M-Audio Rev Asio. I don't know why I have the M-Audio Asio as that won't work with the sound card, only asioforall will work with the sound card. I have a 0 offset and changing it to 2 does nothing.

gappie

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 03:30:43 pm »

which version of asio4all are you using? m-audio has its own asio drivers, one thing that could happen is that asio4all uses all channels of the m audio device and then all the channels of trend audiocard. so the trend channels could be channel 7 and 8 in asio4all, for instance. in which case you have to set the ofset on 6.

gappie

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 04:08:47 pm »

i just enabled the internal soundcard in my test machine, that had already an usb soundcard. by enabling, the channels for the usb card changed as i said in my previous post but with an ofset of 8. an other option is to go to the settings of asio4all and disable the other card for using asio4all, and set the ofset to 0 again.

to be clear, from your previous post i understand that the combi asio4all, mc does work. so ...
using asio4all with 2 cards is very well possible. its one of the nice features, but it can be a bit stiff to handle.   :P

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 05:05:46 pm »

which version of asio4all are you using? m-audio has its own asio drivers, one thing that could happen is that asio4all uses all channels of the m audio device and then all the channels of trend audiocard. so the trend channels could be channel 7 and 8 in asio4all, for instance. in which case you have to set the ofset on 6.

I'm using the 2.9 (beta 5) that just came out. www.asioforall.com I only use the digital output on my M-audio and run a digital cable to my sound processor so i don't really have any number of up to 7 channels listed, it's simply digital output only.
Robin

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 05:14:46 pm »

i just enabled the internal soundcard in my test machine, that had already an usb soundcard. by enabling, the channels for the usb card changed as i said in my previous post but with an ofset of 8. an other option is to go to the settings of asio4all and disable the other card for using asio4all, and set the ofset to 0 again.

to be clear, from your previous post i understand that the combi asio4all, mc does work. so ...
using asio4all with 2 cards is very well possible. its one of the nice features, but it can be a bit stiff to handle.   :P

The Trends UD 10.1 USB transport is not a sound card so I'm really only using 1 sound card in my computer. the Trend's is a stand alone USB transport/DAC, www.trendsaudio.com , and really bypasses the sound card all together. As for the assioforall itself, I have yet to figure out how to open up the download. All I have available at my "All Programs" link are the instructions for how to use it. I can't find anything to use yet. LOL The instructions did say that it was best to have an available player like MC open it up. All I know is when I deleted assioforall,it disappeared from MC and when i redownloaded it, it came back. As for actually opening up asioforall with it's setting, I haven't figured out what I can do to open it up. all that seems to have been downloaded was the instructions.

Robin

gappie

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 05:25:16 pm »

when you start playback in mc or any other application that uses asio4all, there appears a small icon besides the clock. when you click on it, asio for all opens. when you click on the button in asio4all in the right down corner the advanced settings appear. not that there is much you can set. but it can show you the cards that are used, and disable/enable them, and you can set some stuff.

gappie

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

oh, and one small important thing, you always need to stop playback in mc after you changed settings for the output, to let the settings take effect.. just incase you did not do that.
 :)

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 05:41:14 pm »

oh, and one small important thing, you always need to stop playback in mc after you changed settings for the output, to let the settings take effect.. just incase you did not do that.
Yep,,, i do know that much. LOL
OK, i found the asioforall v2 program by using my M-Audio sound card which is working and a logo showed up that I can use. On the front page, both my M-Audio and USB Audio DAC are listed. Before I start doiung things the hard way, I'll ask for guidance here cuz the hard way will involve all possible combinations til i fall on something workable. LOL

Robin

gappie

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 05:41:59 pm »

and an other question? you said you are using version 2.9 from asio4all, could it be that the problems started after installing this version of asio4all, or after restarting your machine after the upgrade. it is only out for a few days, and has some changes in layout and other stuff (worked a bit different that the version i looked at a week ago.)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 05:47:43 pm »

Thanks, gab.

gappie

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 05:48:33 pm »

Yep,,, i do know that much. LOL
OK, i found the asioforall v2 program by using my M-Audio sound card which is working and a logo showed up that I can use. On the front page, both my M-Audio and USB Audio DAC are listed. Before I start doiung things the hard way, I'll ask for guidance here cuz the hard way will involve all possible combinations til i fall on something workable. LOL

Robin
now you can disable the m-audio card for asio4all (it wont disable the asiodrivers from the card it self). rightclick on the small icon infront of the card. and make sure that the trend is enabled.
in this picture the edirol is enabled and the realtek disabled

when yoou did that, restart mc and try asio with ofset 0.

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 05:59:39 pm »

and an other question? you said you are using version 2.9 from asio4all, could it be that the problems started after installing this version of asio4all, or after restarting your machine after the upgrade. it is only out for a few days, and has some changes in layout and other stuff (worked a bit different that the version i looked at a week ago.)

I couldn't get an asioforall desktop link to work with til I resetup my sound card, (I use the same digital cable) and when i setup Asio for the sound crad, I got the logo and opened up the program. while the program was up, I disconnected the sound card, switched audio devices at the desktop back to the USB Audio DAC, I left the MC Program Options set on Asio/Asioforall and I was actually able to shut off the sound card and reactivate the USB DAC. SUCCESS!!!

I can only hope things will stay put but if they don't I at least know what I can do to get them back on track. A big thanks for the hints/ideas that I was able to use. I'm not worth a crap flying blind and trying to come up with ideas on my own. It's a futile battle I'm afraid,, then I lash out from fustration. It's a flaw of mine.

I have redownloaded MC13 again, I'm registered for both players again and I'll just keep plugging alone. Thanks again for your time guys. ;D

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 06:05:41 pm »

now you can disable the m-audio card for asio4all (it wont disable the asiodrivers from the card it self). rightclick on the small icon infront of the card. and make sure that the trend is enabled.
in this picture the edirol is enabled and the realtek disabled

when yoou did that, restart mc and try asio with ofset 0.

Looks like I got it before you posted this. One thing, I couldn't get the USB to enable til I shut off the sound card and switched the audio device on the desktop from sound card to USB. Then the USB enabled on the asiofoall. Now that I know how to get this program up, I think I'll be ok. Oh Yeah, the sound is oh so glorious once again/ :D

Cheers,
Robin

gappie

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 06:09:29 pm »

great it works robin. restart your machine to see if it still after that. one thing to remember is that you 'dont set up' asio4all for you soundcard. it picks all cards that have wdm drivers. and uses them.
have fun
gab

Thanks, gab.
your welcome

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 07:09:06 pm »

great it works robin. restart your machine to see if it still after that. one thing to remember is that you 'dont set up' asio4all for you soundcard. it picks all cards that have wdm drivers. and uses them.
have fun
gab
your welcome

I shut down MC, reopened it and Asioforall was back on the M-Ausio sound card. The good thing was even tho I had silence when tried playing the album, the asioforall icon showed up so I didn't have to go looking for it again. So,, is there anyway to remove the sound card from Asioforall? How can I make asioforall stay on USB/DAC? It's gonna be a hassle to continually be messing with this program , especially considering I didn't need to know anything about it for 9 months but I'm still happy that I at least can correct this problem. I'd just like to correct it permanently. LOL

Robin

gappie

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 02:32:13 am »

i expect you are fine now. disabling the soundcard in asio4all should stick, when restarting.
you could, of cource, set the offset in mc to the channel for the trend, as asio4all presents it to mc.  ;)

other options you have is using only one soundcard in your machine.
or using drivers that belong to the soundcards only.
but since you like asio4all, which is a good choice, i would just checkout that programm a bit more, and try to understand how it works via the short manual and their website. it can make things a bit more complicated, also when using other programms or some programs at the same time.

gab

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 03:29:02 am »

i expect you are fine now. disabling the soundcard in asio4all should stick, when restarting.
you could, of cource, set the offset in mc to the channel for the trend, as asio4all presents it to mc.  ;)

other options you have is using only one soundcard in your machine.
or using drivers that belong to the soundcards only.
but since you like asio4all, which is a good choice, i would just checkout that programm a bit more, and try to understand how it works via the short manual and their website. it can make things a bit more complicated, also when using other programms or some programs at the same time.

gab

Actually the problem isn't totally solved yet. But first, I only have 1 sound card in 1 computer, the Trends USB DAC is a stand alone unit, it is not a plugin sound card. Because it's outside the computer, it bypasses the M-audio sound card all together and does a much better job at high quality audio production and Asio only enhances that audio quality. Problem with the Trends unit is it won't pass DTS or DD sound tracks from DVD movies. So for that reason, I need both M-Audio and the Trends USB DAC.

OK, back to issues. I no more than stop an album and when I kick onto another one, there's a red x in the play box of the USB DAC in Asio and it's being listed as inoperative. It's giving two possible reasons for being inoperative but the 1 that makes th most sense is there's another application of Asio being used. I think I read somewhere that windows XP can't support 2 Asio programs running together. In fact I think that's a drawback of Asio that 2 Asio programs won't run together on any computer. Well,,,,,, isn't that what I was trying to do by having both MC12 and MC13 on the same desktop? I'm betting that was by problem all along as this problem started a day after downloading MC13 and of course I would set it up the same way as I had MC12. What I'm trying now is to use MC13 strictly as my Asio playback machine and switching MC12 playback options to DirectSound so there's only 1 Asio. I'm hoping this will solve this Asio issue. I'll let ya'all know.

Cheers,
Robin

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 07:21:44 am »

The general rule with ASIO is that only one application can be talking over ASIO at the same time.  It is OK to have multiple applications installed that use ASIO.  You'll just run into problems if you try to run two of them at the same time.  There is no problem having both MC 12 and MC 13 installed with both configured to use ASIO.  Just don't run both MC 12 and MC 13 at the same time.  Only one of them will get access to the ASIO interface.

Keep in mind that ASIO was designed to provide a low latency sound path for professional audio recording.  The fact that it bypasses kmixer and provides better sound for audiophiles is a side effect and not its purpose.  It wasn't designed for easy plug and play for the typical consumer.  It was designed for professional audio where engineers and musicians are used to complexity.

I have zero experience with asio4all.  I use an M-Audio FW-410 that has its own native ASIO driver provided by M-Audio.  I don't have a need for asio4all.  Can't help you on your specific asio4all configuration problems.

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 11:44:14 am »

The general rule with ASIO is that only one application can be talking over ASIO at the same time.  It is OK to have multiple applications installed that use ASIO.  You'll just run into problems if you try to run two of them at the same time.  There is no problem having both MC 12 and MC 13 installed with both configured to use ASIO.  Just don't run both MC 12 and MC 13 at the same time.  Only one of them will get access to the ASIO interface.

Keep in mind that ASIO was designed to provide a low latency sound path for professional audio recording.  The fact that it bypasses kmixer and provides better sound for audiophiles is a side effect and not its purpose.  It wasn't designed for easy plug and play for the typical consumer.  It was designed for professional audio where engineers and musicians are used to complexity.

I have zero experience with asio4all.  I use an M-Audio FW-410 that has its own native ASIO driver provided by M-Audio.  I don't have a need for asio4all.  Can't help you on your specific asio4all configuration problems.

Well I probably am lumping Asio and Asioforall together here as they are used together in my system but on day 2, I seemed to have solved my problem by only having Asio/Asioforall assigned to only 1 player. I just opened up MC13 and fired up the player's Radio feature and Asioforall's icon popped up as it should, the M-audio sound card was shut off and the USB DAC was on,,, no issues whatsoever. If i'm the 1st one to have runned into this Asio/Asioforall problem after purchasing MC13, well I just hope there's less headaches for the next guy.
I will say that I do run both Players together a lot as I'm constantly downloading albums, storing them on separate hard drives for backup but I need ti update the MC library's before doing so, things like Gendre and sometimes the album covers won't automatically download so both Players (12/13) need to be open for this reason. I only need 1 Player for music playback so there's no reason to have them both setup for Asio/Asioforall. Changing the Playback Option settings to DirectSound on 1 player seems to have solved my issues, so indirectly speaking, my faulting the MC13 download purchase led to my Asio problems even tho it was my actual setup of Playback Options was the cause. Looks like my problems are past me now and this'll be my last post,,,, til the next time. ;D

Cheers,
Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up