INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Playback Errors [solved]  (Read 2345 times)

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
DVD Playback Errors [solved]
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:36:14 am »

I have a problem with DVD playback in MC13 that also exists in MC12 to a much lesser degree. Most of the time I can play a DVD fine the first time I launch MC without a problem. Once I stop playback and exit MC I get a Windows error. From that point on every time I attempt playback I get an error attempting playback. I can't even get to the filters configuration without getting the error. I have DVD playback to Automatically select all filters for DVD playback. I checked the log file and determined what filter was being used for playback. If I temporarily rename the filter in Windows to eliminate it from the systems I can now re-launch MC and access filter configuration. At that point I can sometimes play a DVD (only once as before.) If I restart the systems I can also play a DVD but only once. Checking the log I notice that a different filter is used but again the same result.

I do have PowerDVD 8 installed on the system and use it for Blue Ray playback. I'm not sure if this coul dbe causing a conflict. I also have a Hauppauge HD-PVR which installs Arcsoft filters as well. I uninstalled both of these with no change in behavior.
Is there a specific filter that I should use for DVDplayback? Is there an easier way to managae filters that are installed in my system? I probably have more filters installed than I want or need and would like to know how I can manage or remove them from a centralized location.

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
Re: DVD Playback Errors
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:12:16 pm »

After several hours I was able to identify some filters that are either no longer on my systems or are no longer compatible with my system. I was able to remove the bad filters and it seems that I have eliminated the Windows crashes. However, I still can't play DVDs. I read all of the FAQs several times but my problem seems to be a bit different than what is listed. I have PowerDVD8 installed and I still get the message stating that my system is not configured for DVD playback. I even purchases the Intervideo XPPack and installed it but I have the same error. I can play DVDs in Zoomplayer with both of those filters. I can also play DVDs in Windows Media Player. I did notice that no matter what I select as the video decoder the list of DVD filters box is empty. I compared this to another system and there are entries in the other system. What is missing or where do I need to look?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:28:32 pm »

You read the FAQs, but did you read this wiki page:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide:DVD_and_MPEG-2 ?

I can use:

Dscaler5
Gabest
FFDSHow
PowerDVD 6
(- I have not upgraded it. The v.8 may be different.)

DVD video decoders without problems.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 03:30:59 pm »

Yes, I read that too. I actually tried DScaler, FFDShow (2008-11-02), AND GABEST. All have the same problem. I constantly get the message that I need to install a decoder. I even followed the link from MC to epurchase and download XPPack and it didn't work either.

Why would my list of DVD filters be blank even though every one of these filters/decoders is installed? I can go to Zoomplayer and verify the filter configuration for each one and they pass the test. Also I tried every one of the filters via Zoomplayers advanced setup and every one works. Why would MC be the only app that doesnt recognize any DVD filters?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 04:00:20 pm »

Yes, I read that too. I actually tried DScaler, FFDShow (2008-11-02), AND GABEST. All have the same problem. I constantly get the message that I need to install a decoder. I even followed the link from MC to epurchase and download XPPack and it didn't work either.

that message has been around since version 11. i only get it sometimes and when there is no dvd in the drive.

edit.. or when im playing music, the moment i check the dvd filters (no problem checking the direct show filters)  :)

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 10:59:47 am »

After countless hours of troubleshooting I began to uninstall each of my DVD compatible applications one at a time. It seems that Nero Ultra 7 was the cause. The uninstall also required the Nero Cleanup utility. Once uninstalled all of my DVD filters and codecs returned to MC and function fine. Strange that MC was the only applicatio affected. Even stranger that the Nero config hasn't changed in over a year. I was able to re-install Nero and I was still able to play DVDs in MC.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up