INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: losing library information is causing me problems  (Read 2767 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
losing library information is causing me problems
« on: November 09, 2008, 06:53:33 pm »

i recently used MC13 to update all the library fields like season, series, episode name, original air date (just date), etc. for all my tv shows and movies. i changed the hard drive they were on so now there location is on the H drive instead of the G drive. when i update the auto import to import the new directory and run it, it imports the files, but the dates are all wrong (most just say 2008 now instead of what they used to be).

i did back up my library because i thought this might happen. however, is there a way to fix this so when i change my media's path and reimport it doesn't lose all those changes that i spend hours on?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: losing library information is causing me problems
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 01:27:21 am »

This happens because the tags are not saved in the files themselves, the information is held in the database only. When you move the files behind MC's back, and then re-import them, MC believes they are brand new files and treats them as such. The now obsolete entries in your library are removed along with all your hard tagging work.

You have some options:

If the old path and the new path are both in the auto import list, then MC can automatically fix the links to the files if the "fix broken links" option is turned on.
If the directory you are moving them to has a fixed 'base path' (always sub-directories of E:\Video\ for example) then add the base directory to your auto import list, and then let MC work things out for you. If you use external hard drives, network drives or flash drives, be sure that MC is set to protect network files.

You could also do this manually, but in order for that to be safe, you must have the 'fix broken links' option turned off. After moving the files externally, MC will then not be able to find them. You would need to select those 'broken' file entries yourself, then use either the "Update library to point to a new location" option in the "Rename, Move & Copy Files" tool, or the "find and replace" tool, working on the [Filename] field. Both of those tools (use the search option in Options to find them) are reasonably intuitive to use, especially so for the "find and replace" tool.

You could use 'drag and drop' from within MC to drop the files on their new location in the My Computer branch of MC's tree and choosing the move option from the menu that shows when you drop. MC will then move the files for you, keeping the database up-to-date at the same time.

You could export all data associated with those files to an mpl file.
Select the files, choose "File > Export playlist" and export all fields to an mpl file.
Open that mpl file in a text editor such as notepad and edit the filename entries so that they match the new files' locations, save your changes, then use "File > Import playlist" to import the mpl file, which in turn will import the files plus their associated data.

-marko.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:45:11 am »

hey marko... thanks a bunch. i recovered my data using the export playlist and changing the pathnames in the mpl file.

however, now i have both locations in my media file list, so I've got 2 of every file. Is there a simple way to remove the broken links? (in this case, the e\ directory?) when i take it off the auto import list, the files still don't go away.

Robo983

• World Citizen
MPL Files for Saving Video Tag Info
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 02:31:05 pm »

You could export all data associated with those files to an mpl file.
Select the files, choose "File > Export playlist" and export all fields to an mpl file.
Open that mpl file in a text editor such as notepad and edit the filename entries so that they match the new files' locations, save your changes, then use "File > Import playlist" to import the mpl file, which in turn will import the files plus their associated data.

-marko.

Does this work with network drives also? Can this be set up to be automated every time there is a tag change or other automation? I am trying to get my ripped DVDs to play and can't use Library server and now remembered one reason I went to library server to begin with..the tags don't save with the files.

It would be nice if there was a way to set this so that an Auto Import would grab the MPL file and automatically insert the correct path based on where in the network MC is running. If you saved these for each folder it could be quite time consuming to open them, edit and save them.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:45:43 am »

MPL works fine over various MC instances when you export it to a common basefolder on the same partition where the files are. You must use the "Store paths relative to exported playlist location" option so that the drive letter and other preceding parts of the path will not be included in the filename field values.

For instance,

If you have the video files in:
D:\media\video\TV series
D:\media\video\movies
D:\media\video\home videos
You can select all video files and export an MPL file to D:\media\video\

If another PC has the same video files in
C:\video stuff\TV series
C:\video stuff\movies
C:\video stuff\home videos
you can place the MPL file from the first PC in
C:\video stuff\
and import it from there.

Auto-import can add new files (including tags) from an MPL file, but it is designed to not update existing tags in already imported files to avoid accidents.

The menu command File > Import > Playlist is more powerful. It can import new files and update old file tags from an MPL file. It replaces all included field values in the target library.

An MPL file is in XML format. You can open an MPL file in Notepad or some other editor and edit the values before importing.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 03:59:22 am »

But where is the tag data (the MC specific stuff) actually stored under normal operations. I periodically refresh my C drive from a True image backup to clear away the usual debris that build up, and for a scheduled refresh I can create an MPL file, and re-import. But what about after a major crash, when I won't have remebered to do an MPL extract.

Ideally, I'd like the tag data stored away from the C drive, so that its not overwritten. Is there are an option to do this? Or is it part of the program directory that you select at install time.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 04:37:27 am »

All library field values are stored in the library database.

The default location for the default library is under the user specific application data folder. (For instance, on XP the location is C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 13\Library\ )

However, you can use libraries that are stored in any location and use several different libraries. You can use the Library Manager tool for various library operations. One of the functions is to clone an existing library to a new location.

MC creates periodically automatic backup archives of the Library files. Also these files are stored in the application data location. In addition, you can use the Back Up Library tool for backing up the library files to a user defined location. A zipped backup archive can be restored by using the Library Restore tool. It will then replace the currently active library.

To recreate a library you need the library files (either in a folder or as a zipped backup file).

You may also need the cover art files if they were stored in the default location (which is under "application data"). However, you can set MC to use a different default location for external cover art files (either a single location or the media files' folders). The recently introduced "Save Cover Art To External Location Specified In Options" tool can mass move all externally linked cover art files and automatically update the links.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 04:52:05 am »

Excellent, sorry but I'm reasonably new here and hadn't spotted Library Manager under the File menu. I'd assumed it would under Options somewhere.

OK, so I can import/export the library, or change where it's stored.  I run several PCs over a LAN; can multiple PCs share a single library (on a network drive), or is it safer to create multiple copies. My media files are already stored centrally and are used by XP MCE, Vista MC, WMP (out to network players), and now MC, on various machines. The music side of things is working fine because the tag metadata is stored in the media files themselves, but it's less easy with images.

I've read somewhere about MC locking a library, and only one having update rights, is this the same story. The locking would probably not be a problem as I do most of my media management from one PC anyway. 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 05:05:18 am »

I've read somewhere about MC locking a library, and only one having update rights, is this the same story. The locking would probably not be a problem as I do most of my media management from one PC anyway.

You can use a single shared library location. I just explained the so called "shared library mode" briefly in this reply: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50350.msg344520#msg344520

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 06:42:19 am »

Thanks, sounds interesting, now that I can see how to move the library.......

Many thanks

Paul

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 08:50:43 am »

Thanks Alex, I would have wasted a lot of time with the auto import if you hadn't explained the difference.

I played around with this a lot last night and now wish I had taken the advice from my early days with MC to put my ALL my media in one folder path. It does work very nice the way you describe it and will work in the short term. I think I need to schedule the MPL dump as Stricko is doing. If I had all my media in one path on a network this would be very easy to just set up a network path for the "Host" MC that I do all my tagging with and point it to the network shared drive of that folder. If I had done that the "Symbiote" instances would have the same path and I would not have to do the search and replace..I think. I will probably look to try this out.

I found my only problem with going this route and abandoning Library server is now I loose my playlist on the Host. I will be back to search and replace in all the playlist to port them over to the Symbiotes. If I go with the network share I am wonder how the playlist will port and work on my portables. I may just have to add a button in theater view to launch the Library server library when I what to use a playlist.

Stricko just a word of advice as you start playing around with the library files....DO LOTS OF BACKUPS. Below is a thread from when I first started and the discussion of Library Sync when it was new and may give you some background on what you can do with sharing libraries.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41177.msg281020#msg281020

Bertmizer

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 07:55:22 pm »

Many thanks Marko!  ;D
Find & Replace worked great. After some easy work I recovered all my playlists after hard-drive crash and upgrading new operating system. I also upgraded to MC13. Didn't think I'd see those playlists ever again.

cheers,

Bertmizer

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 03:46:39 pm »

For instance,

If you have the video files in:
D:\media\video\TV series
D:\media\video\movies
D:\media\video\home videos
You can select all video files and export an MPL file to D:\media\video\

If another PC has the same video files in
C:\video stuff\TV series
C:\video stuff\movies
C:\video stuff\home videos
you can place the MPL file from the first PC in
C:\video stuff\

Curious as to how often you update those mpl files over time as new stuf gets added.

Assuming you do a MPL dump as mentioned.
Pages: [1]   Go Up