INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clicking the 'Now Playing' panel (like iTunes)  (Read 2499 times)

JamieShanks

• Recent member
Clicking the 'Now Playing' panel (like iTunes)
« on: November 25, 2008, 08:50:29 pm »

(sorry if I missed an existing thread...)

Is there any way to move back to the original track by clicking the 'Now Playing' information panel in the upper-centre of the MC12 screens?

I'm thinking of the functionality in iTunes, so double-clicking (or whatever) the 'Now Playing' information panel from anywhere else in the program takes you back to the playlist or wherever you originally started the track playing from. 

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Clicking the 'Now Playing' panel (like iTunes)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 08:39:32 am »

You can view the current playlist by clicking "Playing Now" in the tree (which iTunes doesn't really have).

Does that help?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JamieShanks

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:09:49 pm »

Thanks for the reply Matt - but no, I was specifically after an iTunes-like universal 'returning to the place I'd started from'.  As long as you're working in a different playlist to the one that's playing, iTunes lets you jump back to the original album or whatever, and to the place in it the current track is at (JRiver's now playing seems only to work if you started from a playlist in the first place, is that right?). 

The iTunes trick is useful with new music, being played straight out of 'recently imported' - when listening to the music at the same time as tagging other things, I can jump back easily to the album that's playing and rate or playlist-ify the last few tracks all at once.  Its not really a biggie, I just wondered if I was missing something :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 01:43:57 am »

I am always lost when I try iTunes because it does not have a "playing now" list.

MC always uses the Playing Now list which is a separate queue for the tracks to be played. The actual playlists are just a way to view a selection of the library. MC does not directly play them.

MC can display various different library views and in addition the Playing Now list. I have set MC to not jump to PN when playback starts and double-click to add to PN instead of replacing the queued list. If I want to play a track instantly I use one of the right-click > play commands. In addition I have added the Playing Now, Back and Forward butttons to the top toolbar.

You could also try the tabs feature so that you can have several views open at the same time. Playing Now can be one of these.

EDIT

In addition, you may find the right-click menu commands useful. (Locate > Artist, Locate > Album, etc). It is also possible to set MC to remember more than one recently used right-click command in Options > Tree & View > Advanced > Right-click recent command count...  I don't know why the default is only "one". I always set it to the maximum number.

The Play & Playing Now behavior settings are in Options > General > Behavior.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JamieShanks

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

Thanks Alex, put this one down to a conceptual difference thing: the tabs function is exactly the solution to my problem, it just wasn't the question I was asking.  I had no idea this even existed, but that's brilliant! 

As an aside: J River development people, you're very clever folk - there's a lot here that isn't immeadiately obvious but is just perfect for something I'm trying to do when I find it.  Congrats everyone, this is great software.

Thanks for that Alex,
Jamie
Pages: [1]   Go Up