INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recordings from Aux don't play  (Read 2383 times)

sharptongue

• Recent member
Recordings from Aux don't play
« on: December 14, 2008, 04:26:15 am »

Recordings I make from Aux to Line In do not play.

When I try to play, the timing jumps all over the place
e.g. 0 sec, 9 sec, 4 sec, 15 sec

That is, it does not track smoothly, and no sound comes out.

I am using 12.0.49
and this is my first attempt to play recordings from external Aux.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Recordings from Aux don't play
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 04:45:57 am »

Recordings I make from Aux to Line In do not play.

When I try to play, the timing jumps all over the place
e.g. 0 sec, 9 sec, 4 sec, 15 sec

That is, it does not track smoothly, and no sound comes out.

I am using 12.0.49
and this is my first attempt to play recordings from external Aux.
welcume to the forum..

when you really use 12.0.49 i would suggest you update to a recent version. that version is more than two years old and really beta.
but i guess you mean 490  ;)

are you using mc to record those files, or an other program. in what format are you recording those files?

:)
gab

sharptongue

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:10:35 pm »

welcume to the forum..
when you really use 12.0.49 i would suggest you update to a recent version. that version is more than two years old and really beta.
but i guess you mean 490  ;)

Help About says it's version 12.0.49

Are you suggesting that what I have described was a bug and is fixed by the latest version, or is it just a general suggestion that the newer is the better ?

are you using mc to record those files, or an other program. in what format are you recording those files?
gab

By mc, do you mean mic ?
I'm not using any other program to record. Just a cord from the Aux plugs on my CD/Cassette player to the input plug of the PC.
I've tried WAV format, which does the above, and MP3 encoding (same result). Uncompressed format causes MJ to hang.

Is this a problem which is previously unreported ?
Is my description clear, or is more detail needed ?

gappie

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:40:14 am »

Help About says it's version 12.0.49

Are you suggesting that what I have described was a bug and is fixed by the latest version, or is it just a general suggestion that the newer is the better ?

no... it is just confusion.. this is the media center 12 forum.. apparently you are talking about media jukebox...  8)

By mc, do you mean mic ?
I'm not using any other program to record. Just a cord from the Aux plugs on my CD/Cassette player to the input plug of the PC.
I've tried WAV format, which does the above, and MP3 encoding (same result). Uncompressed format causes MJ to hang.

Is this a problem which is previously unreported ?
Is my description clear, or is more detail needed ?

with mc i meant media center...
i just tried to record someting with media jukebox and play it ... no problems here..
have you tried to play the recorded files with an other player?

it might be an idea to see where it goes wrong... in the recording or in the playback..

when you record do you see the sound coming in in the levelmeters of the soundrecorder?

gab

sharptongue

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 07:02:23 am »

no... it is just confusion.. this is the media center 12 forum.. apparently you are talking about media jukebox...  8)
with mc i meant media center...

They're two different things ?

i just tried to record someting with media jukebox and play it ... no problems here..
have you tried to play the recorded files with an other player?

it might be an idea to see where it goes wrong... in the recording or in the playback..

It runs straight through on Media Player, but there is no sound.
I have no easy way of telling if it is simply that my cd/radio aux is not producing a signal, though I see no reason why it shouldn't.

I've tried all three sound jacks on the sound card, just in case.

when you record do you see the sound coming in in the levelmeters of the soundrecorder?

gab

What level meter ? Do you mean something on MJ ?

gappie

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 09:06:49 am »

so you are trying to play directly from your recorder... no need to use mj for that. in windows go to start>programs>acessoires"entertainment>volume control
you get the volume control from windows. make sure you also see the line in there (if not go to options and enable it).. for the line in mute should be disabled, use the volume contol of the line in and the 'master' volume control to set the volume.

gab

sharptongue

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 11:22:06 pm »

so you are trying to play directly from your recorder... no need to use mj for that. in windows go to start>programs>acessoires"entertainment>volume control
you get the volume control from windows. make sure you also see the line in there (if not go to options and enable it).. for the line in mute should be disabled, use the volume contol of the line in and the 'master' volume control to set the volume.
gab

Check to all that, and file plays properly (i.e. it does not jump around), but still no sound output. Guess this means there's no signal coming from Aux plugs. Bugger.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 08:36:36 am »

AUX is normally an input connector. Output is usually market as LINE OUT, REC OUT or similar.

If the device does not have line level output connectors you could try to use the headphones socket.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

sharptongue

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 11:32:13 pm »

AUX is normally an input connector. Output is usually market as LINE OUT, REC OUT or similar.
If the device does not have line level output connectors you could try to use the headphones socket.

*smacks forehead hard*
Alex, you put me to shame. Of course AUX is usually an output.
I was a keen student of electronics as a teenager, and should have remembered that.

Okay, having caught up, I can now record. But there's an odd and annoying little detail.

I play a cassette, connect PHONES to the input jack on the PC. It records fine, in stereo, on Windows Sound Recorder (i.e. Entertainment>Sound Recorder) and it seems to record fine using MJ. I burn the resulting files onto a CD. The CD plays fine, in stereo, on my PC. But the CD only plays out of *one* speaker on my CD/tape player - the same machine on which I played the tape to record from.

On the theory that something went wrong with the burn, I burnt another copy of the CD, but same result.

Is there a sensible explanation for this ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up