INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnail creation issue (video view)  (Read 3200 times)

M.P.

• Recent member
Thumbnail creation issue (video view)
« on: December 27, 2008, 06:09:20 am »

I have round about 500 video files. MC 13 can't grab the thumbnails of 95 of these files (it can play the videos though).

When I switch to any video view which displays thumbnails, the application starts responding very slowly and gets an almost unusable state. It seems to run the thumbnail grabber over and over again.

Thank you,
Markus

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Thumbnail creation issue (video view)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 06:37:18 am »

This is probably a DirectShow issue.  You could try the wiki (link above) for more information.

Welcome to the forum.

M.P.

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 06:57:29 am »

Yes, there might be a DirectShow issue. Nevertheless I believe it would be better not to grab a thumbnail of a video file that already failed once, wouldn't it? (BTW, MC 9 seems to behave that way).

Thanks,
Markus

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:08:35 am »

Yes, there might be a DirectShow issue. Nevertheless I believe it would be better not to grab a thumbnail of a video file that already failed once, wouldn't it? (BTW, MC 9 seems to behave that way).

Media Center will try three times to build a thumbnail, then quit trying.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:44:52 am »

Thanks,
Markus

:o
Pure and simple, if there is an underlying problem with your system configuration, this needs to be fixed rather than pretending it doesn't exist.

If MC fails to create a thumbnail, there is usually a reason for it :)
Multiple copies of the thumbnail builder being triggered sounds very much like conflicting codecs to me. The best thing to do at this point is to uninstall all your currently installed codec packs etc. When you've done this, install the CCP package- http://cccp-project.net
Things like K-Lite and most of the other mega codec packages install multiple decoders for the same thing, and piles of useless junk to boot. Simple is usually better where codecs are concerned.

Cheers

-Leezer-

gappie

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 11:26:24 am »

maybe i can hook up here.. on my main system thumbs are also not created (which i dont care about), but also duration and dimension are not imported. importing is slow as hell.. now on my other system the files import without a problem. both systems have only cccp and play the files just fine.. i tried to look for any differences, did not see any.. and i can dictate the wiki about directX in reversed order. somebody has an idea where to start looking....
oh.. dont know if it matters but rightclicking on the files in windows>properties just tells me the duration and the dimension, and if i tell haali to build the thumbs, it does.
and im talking about mkv files.

:)
gab

gappie

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:37:06 am »

and one small additional question. when i do an update library from tags, it does run the three tries again? so i only have to do that when i want to test some changes in the labyrinth called directX.

gab

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 12:22:21 pm »

maybe i can hook up here.. on my main system thumbs are also not created (which i dont care about), but also duration and dimension are not imported. importing is slow as hell.. now on my other system the files import without a problem. both systems have only cccp and play the files just fine.. i tried to look for any differences, did not see any.. and i can dictate the wiki about directX in reversed order. somebody has an idea where to start looking....
oh.. dont know if it matters but rightclicking on the files in windows>properties just tells me the duration and the dimension, and if i tell haali to build the thumbs, it does.
and im talking about mkv files.

gab

I'd try updating your graphics drivers as the first point of call.
Failing that, make sure Windows is fully updated; Windows updates can make a major difference to the way things work.

Cheers

-Leezer-

M.P.

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 04:17:33 pm »

[...]
Things like K-Lite and most of the other mega codec packages install multiple decoders for the same thing, and piles of useless junk to boot. Simple is usually better where codecs are concerned.
[...]

Aaah, I wasn't aware of that but I actually installed K-Lite one year ago. I also installed CCCP some months ago. Removing the K-Lite installation solved the problem.

Happy New Year,
Markus

gappie

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 05:35:11 pm »

I'd try updating your graphics drivers as the first point of call.
Failing that, make sure Windows is fully updated; Windows updates can make a major difference to the way things work.

Cheers

-Leezer-

thanks for the suggestions. i was up to date.. and only had installed cccp. i used insurect (or hows it called) to check that. but now.. i deinstalled cccp.. restarted checked the software installed and there was still haali installed..  ?
got rid of that one also.. reinstalled cccp.. et voila... everything works again...

now what suprises me is that the installation on both machines are for media the same. and when i fool around i use the machine that was still working, not the one where it went wrong, i keep that machine as clean as possible...

im happy again...
and one small additional question. when i do an update library from tags, it does run the three tries again?

gab
and to answer this question myself... yes it does

gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up