INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confused: how DO you load a view that you've saved?  (Read 2485 times)

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
Confused: how DO you load a view that you've saved?
« on: January 20, 2009, 04:57:06 pm »

I've never used this functionality before, but needed to do it recently, and found it really didn't seem to work how I expected - maybe I'm missing something?

So:

- you create a view and you want to save it for some reason. Fine. MC13 allows you to save it as a .JVI file.

- then you want to load it in. There's a "load" option right next to the "save" option in the Customize View dialog.
But strangely, when you choose that, you can't actually browse to the JVI file you just saved - the dialog only lists preset views.

So how DO you load the view you saved? I couldn't find an option at all. What use are JVI files if you can't load them back in again?

I'm sure I must be missing something, but I did look quite hard!

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Confused: how DO you load a view that you've saved?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 01:28:20 am »

After saving your view, it should be an available choice in the list of preset views.

Worth noting however, that the presented list of preset views is dependant on the media types listed.
If you save a view that only lists image files, it will not be presented as a choice if you try to add or load the view to your audio branch.

It's a shame really, because the system should allow us to share view schemes, but this limitation means that the system is really limited to only basic audio, image, video or data schemes. Mix up the media types in any way, and there's no gaurantee everyone will ever see the view in the list of presets.

I think the package installer should deal with jvi file downloads too. It should catch the incoming file and save it in the correct location, likewise, double clicking a jvi file saved locally should invoke the package installer. If the process of importing jvi files could be made easier in this respect, starting a repository of downloadable views might be a viable project.

I say 'might be' because, in my experience, once we move away from the default, stock views as provided by the MC installer, our views tend to become quite personal affairs, containg things like file path restrictions, cutom library field rules, expressions etc. which render them totally non-portable. I still think it would worth a bash if the jvi import process were to be more automated.

-marko.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 02:38:30 am »

hm, thanks.

That definitely isn't working for me.

As you say, having a file association for JVI seems like a sensible thing to have - and I did try that.

However, it really wasn't appearing in the list of preset views at all. The other thing about it is that you can save the file wherever you like - there's a browse button to do that - but presumably it would only appear in that list if it were in the right location in the first place. I had initially saved it somewhere else, and then tried again saving into the default location, but it still doesn't appear for me - I'm still left with only the default set of preset views when I try and load it in.

(this is with .104 - I guess I can try the latest, although there's nothing listed in the history to suggest this functionality has changed)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:29:13 am »

It works for me. The saved .jvi files must be inside a "Saved Views" subfolder in the library location.

For instance, when the active library is in "C:\MC13library" and the saved .jvi files are in "C:\MC13library\Saved Views" they appear in the view browser.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 04:19:17 pm »

aha! now I see what's going on!

That folder doesn't exist by default. When you go into the "save" option, whilst the filename box includes "Saved Views" in the path, when you click on the browse button, it actually takes you to the parent folder - presumably because of the fact that the "Saved Views" folder doesn't exist. Because I'd clicked browse, I ended up saving it in the wrong folder without realising. Your right that if I create the folder and save it into there, it does work. So it's just a bit of a funny interface quirk.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 12:39:29 am »

There's also a saved views folder at Program Files\...\Media Center 13\Data\Saved Views\ that works, though I don't think Vista likes you to save files in \program files\ and starts asking if you're an admin, and are you sure, and all that nippy jazz...

It's there though, and works as an alternative.

rjm

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 10:00:53 pm »

Worth noting however, that the presented list of preset views is dependant on the media types listed.
If you save a view that only lists image files, it will not be presented as a choice if you try to add or load the view to your audio branch.

I have occasionally been unable to load a view that I know exists. The above may explain what is going on.

When I save a view I would like it to be available for future use, regardless of the content displayed in the target view. I think this should be considered a bug and be fixed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up