INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: speed improvements of MC13 over MC12?  (Read 2902 times)

Shiraz

• Recent member
speed improvements of MC13 over MC12?
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:22:14 pm »

Hiya,

The feature list says there is a speed improvement of MC13 over MC12.

Can early adopters testify to this? Or can the developers care to provide a little detail?

This would be my main reason for upgrading.

I love MC!!!

Peace

Shiraz

ps. forgive me if this was asked already. I couldn't find anything on it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: speed improvements of MC13 over MC12?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:46:40 pm »

Can early adopters testify to this?

Yes.  Library load times, view scheme loading and navigation, searches, and especially Theater View are all dramatically improved with current builds.  Individual performance improvements will depend on the complexity of your particular library.

Just try it.  MC13 has a 30-day free trial and can be installed side-by-side with MC12.  Just make sure to back your library up first.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:50:27 pm »

There are some major speed and database efficiency improvements in version 13.

Just a few recent examples:

• Optimized: Many more optimizations to loading of library views. (example: loading complicated library view with 450,000 album library: v114 = 756 seconds; v115 = 19 seconds; v116 = 12 seconds)
  • Optimized: Updated database format to use 35% - 70% less space on disk, and load and save faster. (upgrades database format, so all players sharing the library must be upgraded)
  • Optimized: Video thumbnailing runs around 30% faster.
  • Optimized: Video import around 35% faster.

I'd recommend trying Media Center 13 (it's free to try) and see how you fare.

If / when you do encounter things that seem slow, if you post details we can often help make it faster.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 04:16:26 pm »

Here's a thread on one aspect of the improvements:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50385.msg344610#msg344610

and we added a new server that's really fast:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50403.0

You do want to help us pay for the server, don't you?   ;) ;D

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 05:56:40 pm »

There are some major speed and database efficiency improvements in version 13.

Just a few recent examples:

• Optimized: Many more optimizations to loading of library views. (example: loading complicated library view with 450,000 album library: v114 = 756 seconds; .
but is that against early versions of MC 13 ?

i find MC 13 a little bit faster, especially startup..i compared my 2 most complicated views, and MC 12 was 31 seconds and MC 12 was about the same, my large document view is about 2 seconds faster, 10 seconds with MC 13 and 12 seconds in MC 12...but i do have a very slow CPU 2,6 maybe that is the main reason
MT5FR

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 07:40:40 pm »

I believe early versions of MC13 were similar in speed to the current, final version of MC12.  The MC13 codebase wasn't a fork of MC12 until late in the game, at which time the MC12 codebase was being maintained in "bugfix-only" mode.

As I said... Many of the speed improvements will depend on the complexity and size of your library.

However, video importing improvements can be dramatic, regardless of library.  I'm seeing much higher import efficiency improvements than those quoted by Matt, because nearly all of what I import are High-Def MKV files (which are dramatically affected by the change that led to this speed improvement).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 08:35:47 pm »

i find MC 13 a little bit faster, especially startup..i compared my 2 most complicated views, and MC 12 was 31 seconds and MC 12 was about the same, my large document view is about 2 seconds faster, 10 seconds with MC 13 and 12 seconds in MC 12...but i do have a very slow CPU 2,6 maybe that is the main reason

Like I said, you might start a thread if you have a view loading that slowly.  Let us know what the view is, how many files you have, etc.

If you provide a library backup to matt at jriver dot com, there's an even better chance of us finding ways to speed it up.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Shiraz

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:18:08 pm »

awesome thanks guys.

flac.rules

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 05:07:50 am »

Its really nice that you focud on performance, especially with big libraries. Much appriciated.

MusicHawk

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 11:36:23 am »

I'm finding MC13 to be SLOWER when working in the database to review and update tags. My database is more than 80-thousand tracks, and the view I work in has lots of fields and many virtual records. But this is all the same as I used in MC12 where playing/editing response did not degrade as much or as quickly (MC12 could get slow too...). I'm using the same computer, lots of CPU, RAM, disk space, etc.

Scenario: I rip a bunch of stuff, then work through the tracks, listening and tagging. I'm sometimes in Recently Ripped, but often I switch to an Artists view so I'm comparing the new rips to all my other tracks by the same artist. While I might have just a few dozen tracks by a particular artist, overall this is a very large view, larger than my total database because a track that is tagged with more than one Artists name (a custom multi-value field) will appear more than once in the view -- virtual records.

In  MC 12, moving to the next track was fast. Click, listen, tag, move on. If would get slow eventually, usually after MC sat open overnight (previously reported oddity). But in general I didn't feel constrained in working quickly.

In MC 13, as I continue to work, delays build up and eventually there's a many-seconds delay before the new track full loads. It starts playing quickly, but the tags open more slowly, and the playback info at the top of window opens VERY slowly. I use this part of the display to scroll through the song, checking different aspects, and to quickly see the sample rate and stereo balance. But it sometime takes quite a while for this info to fully populate/update before I can use it. The playback duration/position bar is usually the last element to update, 10 to 20 seconds after the song starts.

Performance is OK when I first open MC13 and start the above process, but after a while (10 minutes?) it gets slower and slower. If I close and restart MC I get back to good performance, for a while.

A wild guess is that updating the database/view is given higher CPU/memory priority than updating the data display of the current song, presumably because MC13 is optimized for navigation/playback not for database/view editing?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 12:17:58 pm »

I'm finding MC13 to be SLOWER when working in the database to review and update tags.

You don't mention whether you are also using Tabs ?

Are the tracks you work on,  imported into MC or not ?

MusicHawk

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 01:01:10 pm »

You don't mention whether you are also using Tabs ?

Yes, I usually have 2 or 3 tabs open so I can jump between Recently Ripped and the Artists view and the Albums view. So that's more work for MC to do to keep them updated.

Are the tracks you work on,  imported into MC or not ?

Yes, I rip in MC which adds them to the library, then I update the new tracks in one of the views mentioned above.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 01:12:21 pm »

Yes, I usually have 2 or 3 tabs open so I can jump between Recently Ripped and the Artists view and the Albums view. So that's more work for MC to do to keep them updated.

Recall a post by rjm stating that this is where MC 13 had the edge over MC12.

Tagging and playing at the same time whilst having seperate view schemes in other tabs slowed MC 12 down much more.

rjm

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 05:58:33 pm »

hit_ny asked me to comment on my experience in this thread...

I have 193,000 files in my library. It contains every media type you can imagine. I make extensive use of nested custom fields for organizing my media. I synchronize my library and thumbnail cache across 3 systems (XP + Vista).

I observed a significant performance improvement in MC13 over MC12 on all systems. Specifically:

- Views load in about half the time (my most complex view displays all files with grouping, many panes, and a complex sort order in about 4 seconds, down from 8 seconds in MC12). My other less demanding views also take much less time to load (usually 1-2 seconds).

- MC13 disabled auto-refresh for non-displayed tabs which means you can have as many tabs open as you like without any apparent reduction in performance (with MC12 you had to wait for every tab to refresh after any edit in any tab).

- Displaying a folder in Drives and Devices is faster.

- Auto-Import runs a lot faster (I can't remember exactly but I would guess at least 4x faster). This is great because manually running auto-import is the only method for testing library integrity and I run it at least once a day.

- Startup is much much faster (it is almost instant on all my systems now).

The only area that might still need some work is podcasts. I subscribe to 25 podcast feeds. My system sometimes hangs up for 20 or so seconds when I first view a podcast feed. I am not sure if this is an MC problem or delays getting data from the website.

Overall, MC13 performance is superb. As is MC13's stability. I push its library management capabilities to the limit and I have not seen any data integrity problems.

P.S. Here are the only "big" features that I do not use so if you are experiencing performance problems you might want to poke around in:
- background auto-import
- stacks
- auto-retrieval of artwork and tags from internet
- submitting anything to the internet
- complex plug-ins
- media server
- auto podcast download (I manually select all podcasts)

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 11:51:52 am »

......i compared my 2 most complicated views, and MC 12 was 31 seconds and MC 13 was about the same...

now we're talking  ;D (build .140) from 30 seconds down to 8  :)
MT5FR
Pages: [1]   Go Up