INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC crash recovery needs a little work  (Read 1075 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
MC crash recovery needs a little work
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:59:33 am »

MC 13.0.123

I have been doing some heavy lifting importing and tagging over the last few weeks and MC has been bulletproof, until last night...

I navigated via panes to a recently imported music album and selected Locate on Disk (inside Media Center) because I wanted to check that the filename format was correct. MC crashed before the view was displayed.

In each of the following attempts to correct the problem I was offered and declined the crash recovery options:
- restarted MC several times and it crashed consistently before initial view was displayed
- restored library from backup, MC still crashed
- reinstalled MC, MC still crashed

I then tried selecting all 3 of the crash recovery options. MC still crashed.

Starting to panic now, but had hunch that the problem was being caused by MC choking on the initial view. I have the option set to restore last used views so my guess was that the Locate on Disk (inside Media Center) view which initiated this problem was the culprit.

Fortunatley I keep a backup of MC registry settings. I restored the registry and MC started up fine.

So to make a long story short, it might be a good idea to modify the crash recovery options such that a benign startup view (like Playing Now) is selected. If I had not kept a registry backup I think I would have been seriously hooped.

With regard to the cause of the crash itself, I may have bumped up against some Windows/MC limit. Locate on Disk (inside Media Center) has worked perfectly for a long time. And continues to work fine for most folders. I do have one folder that is particularly large (275GB, 4000 folders, 67,000 files) and Locate on Disk (inside Media Center) consistently crashes for any file in this large folder, but works fine for all other media folders on my system.

And yes, I ran Windows disk check on the drive to confirm no problems with the directory structures.

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC crash recovery needs a little work
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:28:21 pm »

Another possible way to solve this crash recovery problem might be to defer updating the current view in the registry until the selected view has successfully displayed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up