INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging  (Read 2862 times)

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
Tagging
« on: April 12, 2009, 10:35:11 pm »

i have no doubt this question is answered somewhere else but i cannot find where. i use another tagging application [nice price - $0.00] to keep my filenames in this order 01 I'm Going Crazy
will media center do this for me and if so how - and i can trash that application?
thanks in anticipation & hope you are all enjoying easter

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:15:28 am »

This is stuff MC excells at. The things you can do are just about limited by your imagination alone. There are limitations, but not many.

1. Pick a file
2. Right click > Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy files
3. The top-most drop menu always defaults to 'rename' every time the tool is opened. This is the one you want.
4. uncheck 'Directories'
5. for 'Filename', enter [track #] [name] into the field and in the right hand pane, see the old/new filename. There is a tooltip here which is more useful as the columns never fit!!
6. If you're happy with the result, press OK to rename the file.

You can apply the same steps as above to 1000's files at once as easily as a single file. You just need to be sure the tags are correct.
I would say with confidence that you can trash your 3rd party app. I'm willing to wager that it's nowhere near as versatile as MC's own rename tool. Using MC's own tool also means that the database is kept up-to-date with the changes, so you do not need to rely on auto import or manually re-import. MC just takes care of things.

In the steps above, you have only worked on the filename field. Once you start using it, you'll quickly realise that you can apply directory rules too, and MC will then move the files into folders you have specified, either using tags or directly specific text.

I don't know how long you have used your 3rd party tool for, but once you are familiar with MC's own tool, you'll wish you asked this question a lot sooner :)

Have fun,
-marko.

While boring, and of no use to anyone but me, the following rules are what I use for this tool. This will give you an idea of how much leverage is available to you...

Base Path: if(isequal([filename (name)],MVI_,8),E:,if(isequal([media type],video,1),if(isequal([filename (name)],DSCF,8),E:,if(isequal([type],music,8),X:,if(isequal([type],television,8),X:,Z:))),if(isequal([type],art,8),D:,if(isequal([media type],image,1),E:,D:))))

Directories: IF(IsEqual([media type],audio,1),if(isequal([album],Assorted Tracks,1),Music\[album],if(isempty([disc #],1),Music\[file type]\[album artist (auto)]\[album],Music\[file type]\[album artist (auto)]\[album]\Disc [disc #])),if(isequal([media type],image,1),if(isequal([type],album art,1),if(isequal([album artist (auto)],multiple,8),Music\[type]\[album artist (auto)],Music\[type]\[album artist (auto)] - [album]),if(isequal([type],unknown type,1),!Private\Pictures\!Source\[source]\[filenamedate],!Private\Pictures\[type]\if(isequal([genre],unknown genre,1),,[genre])\if(isequal([type],wallpaper,1),[dimensions],))),if(isequal([media type],data,1),Info Files\[artist] - [album],if(isequal([type],Movies,1),Video\[Type]\[genre],if(isequal([type],Television,1),if(isequal([series],unknown,8),Video\[type]\[genre],if(isequal([season],unknown,8),Video\[type]\[genre]\[series],if(isrange([season],a-z),Video\[type]\[genre]\[series]\[season],Video\[type]\[genre]\[series]\Season [season]))),if(isequal([type],music,8),Video\[type]\[genre],!Private\Pictures\Videos))))

Filenames: if(isequal([media type],audio,1),if(isequal([album artist (auto)], /(Multiple Artists/), 1),[track #] - [artist] - [name],[track #] - [name]),if(isequal([media type],image,1),if(isequal([type],album art,1),[album] /([keywords]/) ~ [dimensions],[name]),if(isequal([type],television,1),if(isequal([episode],unknown,8),[name],if(isequal([name],S0,8),Episode [Episode],[Episode] - [name])),if(isequal([type],movies,8),if(isequal([track #],00,8),[name],[name] #[track #]), if(isequal([type],music,8),[artist] - [name]if(isequal([duration],unknown,8),,/ /(Length - replace([duration],:,.)/)),[name]))

These are the only rules I need. I don't need to worry about what the file types are. I know what I want where, and how I want them named, all I need to worry about is that the tags are correct, the tool takes care of everything else and keeps the library up to date too...
Can your 3rd party tool do that?

-marko.

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:00:28 am »

Thanks marko i will have a play around  ;D

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:55:54 am »

... These are the only rules I need. I don't need to worry about what the file types are. I know what I want where, and how I want them named, all I need to worry about is that the tags are correct, the tool takes care of everything else and keeps the library up to date too...

That's nice marko.

I use "a bit" shorter rule strings. Here is what I use for audio files:

Directories:
[Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]\

Filename:
If(IsEmpty([Disc #],1), [track #], CD[Disc #] - [track #]) - If(IsEqual([Album Type], Multiple Artists /(complete/), 1), [Artist] - [Name], [Name])

Some examples of the resulting filenames:

Single Artist, no disc number:
\The Cure\Japanese Whispers\06 - Speak My Language.mp3

Single Artist, disc number:
\Bob Marley & The Wailers\Burnin' (Deluxe Edition)\CD2 - 08 - Kinky Reggae.mp3

Multiple Artists, tagged Album Artist, no disc number:
\Tiësto\Elements Of Life\03 - Tiësto feat. Julie Thompson - Do You Feel Me.mp3

Multiple Artists, automatic Album Artist value, disc number:
\(Multiple Artists)\Champs-Élysées Café\CD2 - 04 - Chateau Flight feat. Beretta 9 - Down At The Rotisserie.mp3

-- The text string "CD" will be added if the "Disc #" field has a value.

and here's an additional tip:

... It might not be obvious that you can right-click the rule box in the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" window for seeing various tools, options and helpful tooltips.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:25:13 am »

I've one small (dumb?) question...
How do you apply those rules? Do you apply them using some automatic mechanism (which I don't know about) or do you have to use the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" tool respectively past the rule in the matching field?
Thanks for sharing your rules :)

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:21:53 pm »

;D ;D marko's very simple solution does exactly what i wanted - it had to be simple for me to use it  ::)

jdewoody

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 02:04:30 pm »

Hello! I just purchased this product and so far, so good :) I do have one question regarding tagging: I thought this program was auto-tagging my library but then it stopped. I still have the auto-import feature enabled. Was it really doing this or was I imagining things? If it really was, how do I make it start again?

Thanks in advance,
J

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 04:49:53 pm »

I thought this program was auto-tagging my library but then it stopped.

What precisely do you mean by "auto-tagging"? It's a somewhat vague term in some parts...

Do you mean writing your database info into your mp3 files? This is what MC will do in the background automatically, without you really paying attention to it. If you saw a message in the bottom status message of MC, then this is what was happening.
If you still have auto-write tags enabled then it will say "Done Saving Tag Changes" or something similar to that at the bottom after you change a Tag field that is stored in your mp3 files (such as Artist, Album or Genre by default).

If you have accidentally turned this off, there is an option under (I think) Library options. Not in front of my MC right now, so I can't give you the exact Options dialog.

If you meant auto-tagging as in automatically filling in fields from internet database sources, then this was not happening. You have to manually start this process. Right click on a file, Library Tools > Update from YADB. This will bring up a wizard to help you update some of your basic metadata.

-JB
Pages: [1]   Go Up