INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restore Library to Another computer does not work [solved]  (Read 1912 times)

tangolovers

• World Citizen
Restore Library to Another computer does not work [solved]
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:03:58 pm »

I have three computers, one of which I use to play from my stereo.  They are all on a network, so I copy my music directory from my main laptop to the others directly via my LAN.  The the directory/file structure is slightly different on each machine - for example:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music   (Vista 64 Machine - primary computer)
C:\Documents and Settings\Susie Miller\My Documents\My Music
C:\Users\Susie Melo\Music

The two destination machines are Windows XP and the source machine is Vista 64.  I am using Media Center 13 which I just purchased.

Here are the steps I took:
1) On my Vista 64 machine (main computer) I did a Library > Backup. 
2) Initially I copied just the most recent backup.zip file to Library Backups folder on the destination machine.
3) I copied the entire music folder from one machine to the other two.  Verified the number of files in the music folder on each machine matched (however at times the numbers would vary slightly - why I do not know). 
4) On the destinations machines, I opened MediaCenter, imported the files but first I un-checked "ignore previously deleted files".
5) On the destination machines, I selected all the audio files and deleted them (only from Library).
6) On t he destination machines, I did a Library>Restore.

The only way I can get the files to play is if I recopy and reimport all music files each time, but if  I'm not adding or erasing music from my database (my hard drive) then why would I need to recopy and reimport each time?  Does this make sense?

NOW, just when everything seems fine - the file count in Windows matches, but sometimes the number of files shown in the Audio window varies.  Furthermore, even when the file count in Audio matches and the files actually play - I discovered there are serious inconsistencies such as more or less Artists and Albums listed in the previous pane at the top.  (at the top I have a pane for Genre, Tempo, Artist, Album).   Why would these not be identical if I've restored the same library and copied exactly the same files??   I can't get reliable or even consistent results.

I thought it was supposed to be easy to maintain the same music and libraries on multiple machines, but I'm finding that very difficult.

PLEASE HELP ASAP -- we have to be in Poland in 1 week to teach Tango and we desperately need this database to be working properly.

Thank you!
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird

Could you just move the media files (including the folder structure) to an identical and simple base path like "C:\music" on all three PCs? It isn't necessary (or in my opinion even recommended) to use the "user's personal folders" concept with large media libraries.

Step by step:

On the "primary computer",

1. Create a fresh library backup file (it's good to have it if something goes wrong)

2. Disable the auto-import feature (untick the "run in background" setting)

3. Move the files and folders outside MC by using Windows Explorer. A simple drag and drop should move the complete file structure quickly if the target location is on the same disk partition.

4. Fix the library to point to this new base path:
   - Select all files and open the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool.
   - Select the Update database point to new location (no file rename, move or copy) option
   - Tick only the Find & Replace option
   - Find what: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music
   - Replace with: C:\Music

After you have moved the files also on the other PCs just open MC and restore a new library backup file from the primary computer (create a backup file after the location fix is applied).

The restored library will work on the other PCs as it works on the primary computer. You don't need to import anything. You can keep the auto-import feature disabled on the other PCs if you always first copy the new music files and then restore a new backup file.

EDIT

You didn't mention how you copy the media files from a computer to another, but if you want to keep separate locations synced and don't have a dedicated program for that I can recommend Karen's Replicator (freeware) or SyncBackSE (commercial, but not very expensive).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tangolovers

• World Citizen

Thank you very much for your fast response.  I will try all of your recommendations with one caveat - my main computer has two hard drives and I was planning to eventually move my music folder there - my C drive is for applications and my D drive is for all my files which I backup.  But your answers seem helpful so I'll try to apply these techniques.

To answer your question, I move my music library (the entire file structure) using windows explorer and home networking.  I can see the other two computers from my main computer so I just drag and drop my music folder to the other computers.

Thank you!   :D  I will work on this right now and I'll let you know.  Is it expected in the forums that we let you know if it worked or not??

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird

Of course that would be nice. And don't hesitate to ask if you need further help.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tangolovers

• World Citizen

Well, now I get it!    I didn't quite follow your instructions out of the chute, and I paid the price.  I guess I got a bit confused and was determined to do it the way I had thought it worked in the past.  Anyhow, coming full circle, now it's working like a charm....

That was perfect advise to start with.  Thanks a million!   ;D ;D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up