INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Route sound from Room Equalization Wizard (REW) through MC?  (Read 7378 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

With the new VST plugin support, I can now add a parametric equalizer (ReaEQ) and perform equalization on the bass frequencies. I use Room Equalization Wizard (REW) to measure my room's frequency response. It also assigns the filters that I need to add to a parametric equalizer.

REW is a software application that sends the output to the speakers/sub and the input is from a measuring microphone. It is easy to measure changes made through an external equalizer. Since I want to use a software equalizer in MC, I need to be able to measure the changes to my frequency response. How can I route the frequency sweep from REW through MC so the equalization can be applied before output?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
Re: Route sound from Room Equalization Wizard (REW) through MC?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:55:40 am »

I found a program called Virtual Audio Cable which routes sound from one program to another. I am able to set the output on REW to "Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)" and then send the output to VAC. Virtual Audio Cable can then be used as the input device for another sound application. For example, in MC I can select as the Recording Device "Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)". Is there a way in MC to select the VAC output in order to play it and route it through any VST plugins?

Jasonpctech

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:09:12 am »

Just to be clear there is starting to be alot of talk in the DIY forums about JRiver v16 and the DSP for use in subwoofer and room tuning.

Our measuring software of choice is called REW and can be found at www.Hometheatershack.com. Is there any momentum towards routing other programs thru Jrivers DSP features or a plug-in to facilitate your DSP becoming the new standard for tweakers. 

Really great job with MC16 but I just need the microphone room measurement part fleshed out and there will be no other software out there that can claim to be better, your sooo close.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:22:36 am »

Wow, I didn't realize I had requested this almost two years ago already! Hopefully this will be a possibility someday so we don't have to use the RTA feature of REW and can actually save measurements.

MikeThin

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 10:01:21 pm »

Wow, just found this.

I created a similar thread on HTS last week...
   http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/45636-how-use-rew-jriver-media-centre.html

Mojave, have you have any luck with Virtual Audio Cable, REW and MC16?

What are your latest thoughts on the matter?

Whilst playing a Pink PN noise wav through MC16 + P.Eq and looking at the REW RTA works ok, its pretty basic.

So, any better ideas?

Regards,

Mike.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:34:55 pm »

You can't use VAC with MC becasue MC doesn't accept a line in as an input. Currently the REW RTA is the only method that really works. In another thread I've encouraged the MC developers to contact John and work with him on routing REW signals through MC. I think MC could gain some more customers at HTS if its parametric equalizer allowed for before/after measurements. It is also helpful to be able to measure the changes made by the distance settings and crossover selections in Room
Correction.

One solution mentioned before is for MC to make their own virtual audio device that uses its DSP's. You would select this as your soundcard for other sources such as Netflix, Hulu, games, streaming audio, or even REW (it would be your default sound device). The sound would then be routed through the DSP's such as Room Correction and Parametric EQ before being routed by the virtual audio device to the actual soundcard.

BradC

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:59:38 am »

I have been trying to get MC to work with virtual cables for a while.

By this I mean programs such as Console or Plogue Bidule that have VST plugins that allow routing of channels and insertion of VST filters. They work with ASIO and don;t require virtual audio cable.

My application is to make a active speaker and run multiple subs.

The subs are easier to understand. I want to have one sub input channel and 2 sub output channels.
If Console or plogue bidule worked in MC it would be easy (in fact Console works, but won't automatically load saved settings)

If MC supported this functionality natively it would be great and I'm sure people would find a lot of uses.

This functionality would allow REW to be used in the loop.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 03:01:40 pm »

I just noticed that REW was updated on 7/1/11 to V5.01 Beta. This version has added support for ASIO drivers. This might make it easier to interface with MC at some point.  ;)

lbstyling

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 04:29:54 pm »

is there any update on the situation with this?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 05:44:47 pm »

Tonight I hope to do some testing using the method shown in this thread. From the video in the linked thread, it looks like using the RTA function of REW is about as accurate as using sweeps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up