INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HTTP Remote Control - version 0.10.0 released  (Read 23769 times)

GrantDG

• World Citizen
HTTP Remote Control - version 0.10.0 released
« on: May 11, 2009, 04:08:25 pm »

For the past few months I've been working on a full featured interface plug-in for Media Center which will allow remote control over HTTP - including a companion website to enable use out of the box.

It is now at a stage where it's ready for some BETA testing amongst the savvy Media Center users out there.

The Media Center HTTP Remote Control has the following features / functionality:

• A built in web server;
  • A full featured, built-in website, for the control of media playback - and access to many Media Center functions;
  • The built-in website uses the goodness of JQuery to provide a very Web2.0 experience;
  • The ability to extend the built-in web site as the user requires;
  • Password based access security;
  • A standards aware data/API implemention which allows data to traverse as XML, JSON or even JSONP;
  • Because of the standards compliance, the webserver is itself extensible for other uses;
  • The remote control server has been specially built with web performance in mind - and enables extensive control of the amount of data which is passed between the server and the client;
  • The ability for the end user to tweak the performance of the web server;
  • The ability for the full control of media playback, either via the built in web site, or by any other HTTP aware component;
  • Support for control by small devices (windows mobile, iPhone)

lastly, and perhaps most importantly for J River Media Center users:

• The Media Center HTTP Remote Control enables editing of any (editable) field within the media center - remotely!

Download the BETA of the HTTP Remote Control Web Server from here. This page also has links to log issues or enhancement requests.

Oh and by the way - it's completely free (unless you want to make a donation.. ;D )
Looking to control J River Media Center from your Windows Phone?: Look for nMedium & nMedium Play in the WP store

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Re: HTTP Remote Control - New Software
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:40:50 pm »

Got an error (see below)

[Edit] I should add this was when I click OK in options, which then does not save the options I've set.

I like this by the way, it looks very promising.

System info:
Code: [Select]
Media Center 13.0.166 C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 13\

Workstation 6.1  (Build 7100)
Intel Pentium III 2658 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 4194 MB, Free - 2852 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.7100.0 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.7100 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.1.7100 / Shell32.dll: 6.1.7100 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N    Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)
  HTTP Remote Control (Active)

Error:
Code: [Select]
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Unable to find assembly 'bc.JRMediaCenter.Entity, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryAssemblyInfo.GetAssembly()
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.GetType(BinaryAssemblyInfo assemblyInfo, String name)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectMap..ctor(String objectName, String[] memberNames, BinaryTypeEnum[] binaryTypeEnumA, Object[] typeInformationA, Int32[] memberAssemIds, ObjectReader objectReader, Int32 objectId, BinaryAssemblyInfo assemblyInfo, SizedArray assemIdToAssemblyTable)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectMap.Create(String name, String[] memberNames, BinaryTypeEnum[] binaryTypeEnumA, Object[] typeInformationA, Int32[] memberAssemIds, ObjectReader objectReader, Int32 objectId, BinaryAssemblyInfo assemblyInfo, SizedArray assemIdToAssemblyTable)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadObjectWithMapTyped(BinaryObjectWithMapTyped record)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadObjectWithMapTyped(BinaryHeaderEnum binaryHeaderEnum)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.Run()
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
   at bc.JRMediaCenter.Options.SaveConfiguration()
   at bc.JRMediaCenter.Options.btnSaveConfiguration_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4918 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MediaCenterRemoteControl
    Assembly Version: 0.4.1.28504
    Win32 Version: 0.0.2.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/BelleCamp/J%20River%20Media%20Center%20HTTP%20Remote%20Control/MediaCenterRemoteControl.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration.Install
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration.Install/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.Install.dll
bc.JRMediaCenter.Entity
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/BelleCamp/J%20River%20Media%20Center%20HTTP%20Remote%20Control/bc.JRMediaCenter.Entity.DLL
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
Interop.MediaCenter
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/BelleCamp/J%20River%20Media%20Center%20HTTP%20Remote%20Control/Interop.MediaCenter.DLL
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
lbfwmiiu
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
4qbj9ucz

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 12:06:01 am »

Update: Seems to be ok now.

It may be that I was in the options immediately after install, without having started the server first... maybe something wasn't initialised first?

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:06:05 am »

The supplied error is a little strange - but we'll see if it pops up again.

No initialisation is required apart from the standard installer running, and the options should be able to be saved whether the server is running or not.

I see that you're running Win7 RC, I'm still on BETA 1, that may be part of the problem - I'll try a clean install of my software after I install build 7100.

Do you have 0.4.1 of the remote control installed? You might try 0.4.2 (on the website) - it fixes a separate issue with the OK button (and adds some other functionality). I'd suggest you uninstall 0.4.1 (via control panel) first, then install 0.4.2.

Thanks for being my first BETA tester!

Looking to control J River Media Center from your Windows Phone?: Look for nMedium & nMedium Play in the WP store

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:32:50 am »

The installer won't run for me.

It tells me "I must have MC13 installed" and if I click "Yes", because I have, it sends to the MC download page, and if I click "No", it exits.

MC is installed to a non-default, "\Program Files\Media Center 13\" directory, if that helps?

-marko.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 05:43:10 pm »

The installer won't run for me.

MC is installed to a non-default, "\Program Files\Media Center 13\" directory, if that helps?

This is fixed now (uses a registry search instead of a file system search)

Please re-download the 0.4.2 installer

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:10:38 pm »

Got it installed now, thanks.

Not a lot of time, will flesh this out over the coming days, but...

I also got the error message above when first visiting the options and pressing OK.

Things look messed up in firefox...

and like so in iexplorer...

Clicking on the rating stars applies the rating to the file.
I was unable to edit any other field values.

-marko.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 05:39:36 pm »

Got it installed now, thanks.

Not a lot of time, will flesh this out over the coming days, but...

I also got the error message above when first visiting the options and pressing OK.

Clicking on the rating stars applies the rating to the file.
I was unable to edit any other field values.

There's a known issue with display in Firefox - it seems related to the JQuery UI code. I'm hoping to have this fixed in the next release (working on it now)

To edit, you just click on the field name (the field will change to an input box) - then to submit the change, just hit enter. Clicking away from the field without hitting enter will cancel the change.

I should note also, that in your sceen shot, "Last Payed", "Number plays" and "Duration" will not be editable, as they are updated by Media Center itself.

I'll look into the "OK" issue and try to replicate.

**EDIT**
The Firefox issue is fixed in version 0.4.3

GrantDG

• World Citizen
Re: HTTP Remote Control - Version 0.4.3
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 12:16:51 am »

Hi all - new version available - 0.4.3

This can be downloaded by following the link in the first post on this thread.

Changes include:

Server:

* ADDED: GetSuggestions method which can supply field value suggestions for type-ahead/autosuggest functionality (this includes support for data caching on the server to aid performance). NOTE: GetSuggestions can only operate on fields which are included in a ViewScheme (so that Media Center can do the aggregation!)
    * UPDATED: Upgraded to jQuery 1.3.2 and jQuery UI 1.7
    * CHANGED: Cut down jQuery UI code to only those features currently impelemented
    * UPDATED: jQuery Redmond theme

Client

* FIXED: Updated CSS file names to remove dot within file names (this was causing rendering issues in FireFox - strangely)
    * NEW: Added AutoSuggest feature for field editing !!
    * UPDATE: UI on Playing Now tab
    * UPDATE: UI on Search tab
    * UPDATE: UI now derives more styling from the jQuery UI Theme

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 04:42:52 pm »

OK I just discovered this and installed in on my MC13 machine (Vista x86). It is incredibly, incredibly cool. Install was straightforward and now when I go to the IP adress of my MC PC I get the Remote Control screen.

It really is magic to be able to control most relevant aspects of MC remotely from any device in my LAN via a regular web browser. I tested browsers on an Iphone and mac (Firefox 3.0.2) and they both work. The screen updates near-instant, it counts seconds accurately, when I change a track on MC itself the browser updates itself, I can view my playlists, I can access the controls on several browsers at the same time. And being able to edit stuff, just wow!

All in all for this software already ticks so many boxes it's incredible. I've also tried out xpTunes and Rivermote for MC but you already offer some distinct advantages over those two.

Now for some thoughts/suggestions/remarks:

- I think a lot of people will be interested in using their Iphone / Ipod Touch browsers which are capable enough for all your features. In landscape it actually works pretty well, but the control buttons are way to small to use. Having a skin which is Iphone optimized would be great.
- Zone control. If you could find a way that you can switch the active zone that you're controlling, this would truly make this into a killer tool for MC. Imagine walking around your house with your Iphone or laptop and be able to control any music playing anywere.

Iphone support/themes and zone control would be completely awesome to have that would make me use this on a daily basis even though it's beta. Some remarks with less of an impact:

- It's great that playlists are nested instead of just offered in a massive list as some other apps do. However when it's 2 layers deep, the playlist don't show. Also playlists directly in the root don't work for me (.e.g Top Hits).
- When expanding items in the structure (e.g. under library) it takes a while before it opens (up to 20 seconds for longer lists). Is this/could this be cached?
- What is the max/recommended length of the tree list? I get an error now in my library after it only shows 1/3 of my genres
- Under 'Current playlist' you can view and right-click to act on the now playing list. It would be useful (e.g. for Iphone) if you'd be able to play a file from the list directly by click (or having a play button for each track in the list)
- 'The Media Center HTTP Remote Control' is a very appropriate name but not very sexy... maybe something to consider as you move out of beta...

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:05:00 pm »

Hiya Jeroen,

Firstly - thanks so much for the positive feedback!

Now, to address each of your comments:

- I think a lot of people will be interested in using their Iphone / Ipod Touch browsers which are capable enough for all your features. In landscape it actually works pretty well, but the control buttons are way to small to use. Having a skin which is Iphone optimized would be great.

For the moment my focus is on the server, and the desktop UI (I'm a windows mobile kinda guy - more in that one later ;) and don't have a single Apple product, so testing would be a challenge for me).

One thing to keep in mind is that the whole server has been written to allow anyone to extend it by harnessing the existing API - so someone is most welcome to create an iPhone targeted UI (basically some HTML and graphics the tie in to the current Javascript).

- Zone control. If you could find a way that you can switch the active zone that you're controlling, this would truly make this into a killer tool for MC. Imagine walking around your house with your Iphone or laptop and be able to control any music playing anywere.

I thought this one may come up - I think it's a relatively easy addition to the server and UI. I'll try to add it into a version soon.

- It's great that playlists are nested instead of just offered in a massive list as some other apps do. However when it's 2 layers deep, the playlist don't show. Also playlists directly in the root don't work for me (.e.g Top Hits).

I think I assumed that playlists could only be 2 deep! I'll add a fix for the next version for both of these issues

- When expanding items in the structure (e.g. under library) it takes a while before it opens (up to 20 seconds for longer lists). Is this/could this be cached?

The trouble with the tree view stuff is that the browser has to to do a lot of pre-rendering the output HTML markup for it to show (the actual data coming from the server is quite light).
Caching is not an option here.
I'll keep this issue in mind and see if anything presents itself as an enhancement (off the top of my head I can maybe chunk the data)...

- What is the max/recommended length of the tree list? I get an error now in my library after it only shows 1/3 of my genres

The max tree list results are controlled by the "Max Tree Items" options / configuration setting. It's defaulted to 30 but you can play about with it to suit your needs. Keep in mind that the more tree results the more your browser will spend pre-rendering the HTML. I would suggest that Chrome or Safari, with their web-app optimised javascript engines, would be the best browsers for higher numbers of tree items.

- Under 'Current playlist' you can view and right-click to act on the now playing list. It would be useful (e.g. for Iphone) if you'd be able to play a file from the list directly by click (or having a play button for each track in the list)

An earlier version actually had left click support, but I removed it when I added the context (right click) menus - Maybe I can come up with a UI element that allows the same choices as the context menu...

- 'The Media Center HTTP Remote Control' is a very appropriate name but not very sexy... maybe something to consider as you move out of beta...

Practical old me!! I definitely see your point (I'm thinking in coder terms - not end user!) I'll see what I can come up with - or open it up to suggestions...

Once again thanks for your comments and constructive feedback. Look for a new version soon..

kamimeguro

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 12:32:16 am »

Hi GrantDG,

I found this and started to play with it with both a PC (Vista-Firfox 3.010) and an iPhone.
I have to say that I am stunned by the results! fast and great feature to be able to edit remotely!

Regarding iPhone-iTouch, I second Jeroen asking for larger icons... As well Top Hits does not work from root.

Questions though : it does not seems possible to select more than one song while in search mode, do I miss something?
Also it does not seem to be possible to add the result of a playlist to the current playlist?

Thanks for this great app.

All the best
Kami
Win 10 pro, Oppo 105, Onkyo TX-NR818, Elipson Axial 160, B&W 805S, Linn 5150, Yamaha GT750, Sony KDL-55W900A...

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 02:17:45 am »

For the moment my focus is on the server, and the desktop UI (I'm a windows mobile kinda guy - more in that one later ;) and don't have a single Apple product, so testing would be a challenge for me).
I understand, many mobile roads lead to Rome, it's not about Apple here at all. But the beauty of this solution is that it's based on open standards and client independent, so it shouldn't matter (much) if your phone OS is Windows Mobile, Iphone, Symbian or Android. I think that on any mobile screen including Windows Mobile (be it QVGA or 480x320 or whatever) you'll find that the current template is not optimal and you'll be zooming in and out all the time. I'll try it out with Android tonight but I'm pretty sure that'll behave just like the Iphone screen.
someone is most welcome to create an iPhone targeted UI (basically some HTML and graphics the tie in to the current Javascript).
Very true. I did lots of HTML in the 90s so it's a bit rusty but I'm willing to give it a go. Is it self explanatory (can I find the HTML files in the directory that the server installed, does it contain comments)? Or do you have some info to get me going?
I thought this one may come up - I think it's a relatively easy addition to the server and UI. I'll try to add it into a version soon.
Please! As soon as you have this, I'm sure I'll start using it on a daily basis rather than experimenting with it, and I'm sure many MC users will be with my.
[/quote]
Practical old me!! I definitely see your point (I'm thinking in coder terms - not end user!) I'll see what I can come up with - or open it up to suggestions...
Yeah at this stage adding features and creating a stable product is priority of course. But whenever you're ready for marketing it I'm sure you'll have a bunch of users that would be happy to add some suggestions.

Looking forward to a new version!

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 04:25:12 am »

Some more thoughts:

- How about gestures? Imagine being able (on your phone especially) to skip to the next track by swiping right, or back to the left. Perhaps even shake it to randomize play. According to http://www.sitepen.com/blog/2008/07/10/touching-and-gesturing-on-the-iphone/ this should be possible on Iphone, perhaps other devices as well?

- Keyboard shortcuts? For PC/keyboard use, you could try j for next, k for previous (easy for us Gmail users), - and + (or =) for volume control, p for pause, / for search etcetera? And for mobile phones, most of which have a physical numerical keypad still, shortcuts like 1: previous 2: pause/play 3: next 4: volume down 5: mute 6 volume up.

Adding these should be possible with JavaScript and would make control even more straightforward and possible to do without having to look to the screen at all time.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 04:59:37 am »

Version 0.5.0 Released
Fixes for the nested playlists issues and Zone support.

Upgrading seems to work better if you first uninstall the previous version, and then install the latest.

For jeroen:

The web resources are all stored within the Web Server DLL (this makes upgrading a breeze) - the only way to get at them is via your browser.

Commenting.... hmm, some...    ;)  If you want some more detail, send me a PM (can you do that on here??) or contact me via the "Contact Us" page on my site.

I think I know what you're trying to ask me with the iPhone question - it's probably better approached by me as a "small devices" task. Maybe a cut down UI for a specific set of tasks... I'll ponder...

iPhone gestures are platform specific (remember this is a web app, not a platform application) - but I can look into keyboard shortcuts - good idea!

I think I've come up with a good name - just gotta do some more research to make sure it's not taken by someone...

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 04:08:36 pm »

Wow you're fast!!!

Version 0.5.0 Released
Fixes for the nested playlists issues and Zone support.

Upgrading seems to work better if you first uninstall the previous version, and then install the latest.

I removed the old plugin, and installed 0.5.0 - but I can't see any change? Where should I see the zones?
What is the proper de-install routine, do I have to remove the software in Windows itself?
Perhaps you can show the version# in the about section in the plugin config, maybe I'm still looking at 0.4.3 but I can't see it.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 07:28:16 pm »

I removed the old plugin, and installed 0.5.0 - but I can't see any change? Where should I see the zones?
What is the proper de-install routine, do I have to remove the software in Windows itself?
Perhaps you can show the version# in the about section in the plugin config, maybe I'm still looking at 0.4.3 but I can't see it.

Seems you need to uninstall via windows control panel. I'm finding a few issues with the installer generally - need to do some work on it. I'll add the version number to both the Options screen and the web ui

Suggested upgrade procedure:
  • Uninstall the plugin via plugin manager in MC
  • Close down MC
  • Uninstall Plugin via Windows Control Panel
  • Install the latest version
  • Launch MC - the new plugin should be available (in plugin manager, the version should show 0.5.0)

The Zone control is via a drop down at the top of the screen (next to volume control)

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 03:40:56 pm »

Seems you need to uninstall via windows control panel.

Spot on - uninstalled as per your instructions and now I can find 0.5.0 including the majestic Zone Control! It even shows the names I entered in MC, so it's very straightforward to pick a zone.
Been playing with zones on PC, Iphone and Android for the past half hour and they all work. Android seems a bit heavy on the caching to, sometimes need to refresh a page before it's up to date. Edit: The G1 has a trackball (as well as touchscreen) and it's a joy to control via the trackball, even with the small buttons. More usable than the Iphone at this stage.

I feel zone support is a killer feature for your plug-in. In MC itself you can not only toggle between zones, but also sync zones. I think especially the 'Synchronize Current Zone to All Other Zones' would be useful to have - imagine selecting a nice playlist in your browser in your den, spreading it around the house by the touch of a button so you can listen to it anywhere

Thanks again and keep us posted on the progress!

Edit: forgot to mention - the nested playlists work perfectly now, both level 1 and level 3 and deeper ones.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 04:57:29 am »

Zone Synch added in version 0.5.1

This required me moving the whole zone UI stuff to a new Tab

Actually - just noticed your "All Other Zones" requirement... Gawd - how many zones do you have??? Souldn't be too hard to add in... next version

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 04:58:42 am »

Also - the issue with the Error when clicking the "OK" button on the options screen is now fixed!

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 07:11:14 am »

Cool, will try it out the new zones tonight!

Actually - just noticed your "All Other Zones" requirement... Gawd - how many zones do you have??? Souldn't be too hard to add in... next version

Heh... Right now I have 3 but once my Grand Plan is executed I may have:

Zone 1) Living room front (7.1 HT setup)
Zone 2) Living room back/desk (2.1 setup)
Zone 3) Bedroom & playroom downstairs (2 x 2.0 setup)
Zone 4) Kitchen (2.0 setup)
Zone 5) 2 bedrooms & bathroom upstairs (3 x 2.0 setup)

Zone 1, 2 and 3 will be served straight from the AV amp in my living room
Zone 4 and 5 will have local soundcard via USB that drive a local amp/active speakers.

And all will be HTTP controllable!

jeroen020

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 04:43:03 pm »

Zone Synch added in version 0.5.1

This required me moving the whole zone UI stuff to a new Tab

OK I can verify the zone syncing works!

However I actually liked the old method too as it worked straight from the main screen - and in the playing now screen you no longer know which zone you're controlling, which could be confusing if you use one controller in multiple rooms/zones. So if you could still have the zones dropdown or a prev/next toggle to cycle through the zones that would be great. The syncing is of course a great feature to have but when I'm running it now it feels that very accessible zone switching is more important than syncing, which can be put behind a button or menu option like you have now.

Also I was thinking it could be useful to be able to directly access a zone - so you can have controllers in different zones that default to the playing now of the zone it's in, simply by adding a bookmark or homescreen to the zone-specific URL. Something like adding a parameter to the URL, e.g. <server>/Web/Media.html?zone=1

I hope you don't mind me going back and forth between ideas, I'm just letting you know what I find in experimenting with it and I'm really happy in how often you've been able to post updates to the software!

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 05:54:14 pm »

No issue with plenty of questions...

At the moment, Zone control is "one per server" - as it uses the "active zone" of media center for display data. (i.e. all served pages of the Remote Controller would point to the same Zone - chaging zone on one would change the zone on all)

The MC API does enable you to query/control across zones, so I'll look into implementing that to achieve your goal

Stephen2001

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 04:54:00 pm »

I feel stupid with these questions ...

1) I install, plug-in shows, all seems right .. but no webpage ... the summary says this has a selfcontained webpage?
     ( XPpro ) Is there a detailed install doc somewhere? Is there something to turn on in XP to facilitate functionality? (etc)

2) I when to put this in your support forum.. how is that done, seems only setup for reading?

-Steve

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 05:31:48 pm »

He Steve,

To quote a cliché: "there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers". I'll try to provide non-stupid answers:

1) I install, plug-in shows, all seems right .. but no webpage ... the summary says this has a selfcontained webpage?
     ( XPpro ) Is there a detailed install doc somewhere? Is there something to turn on in XP to facilitate functionality? (etc)

After installation you need to launch a browser, and point it to the IP address of your Media Center computer, and the port that the server is setup to run under e.g.

http://192.168.0.2:8080/

I'll maybe add a link to the server within MC to launch a browser.

2) I when to put this in your support forum.. how is that done, seems only setup for reading?

I see you've registered on the our site... Some of the forum's are set up as "read only" (e.g. the installation guide - which we definitely need to do some work on!!).

You should be able to post to the Bug reports and Feature requests by clicking the "New thread" button (visible when logged in)

Hope this all helps

Stephen2001

• Recent member
Re: HTTP Remote Control - New Software (XP Install problems)
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 07:23:11 pm »

Yeah I got all that. I also tried http://127.0.0.1 .. no go.
Could some config on my XP be interfering with your standalone server process? BTW what would that process name be?

I'm a 25 yr veteran of Large UNIX DB systems but am a novice when it comes to this stuff !!  Windows just pisses me off sometimes, so convoluted. (Yup ... I have to use it for the apps.)

TANGENT: Any app that can deal with dup MP3s in a file tree, with purge criteria settings, like "Preserve best bitrate" ?

-Steve

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 08:01:46 pm »

Hi again,

I've updated the "Installation Guide" on my site with basic installation steps.

Hope this helps!

TANGENT: Any app that can deal with dup MP3s in a file tree, with purge criteria settings, like "Preserve best bitrate" ?

Maybe a question for another thread, not sure on that...

Stephen2001

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 08:27:30 pm »

That helped nudge it a bit, I didn't realize that your browser was a service..etc.

Here's the error that happens as soon as I touch the port (8080) with  XP-FireFox, XP-IE or  Iphone-safari
BTW: I know my XP is serving pages ok I config'd another app to 8081, works fine.

Sorry for the bother...
-Steve

Stephen2001

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 08:28:54 pm »

Helps it I actually paste it in...
[25/05 21:22:35.921] Web server started
=== Now I touch port 8080 ==========================
[25/05 21:22:49.218] Connection Exception: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at bc.JRMediaCenter.WebServer.HttpRequest.GetCookies(String[] lines)
   at bc.JRMediaCenter.WebServer.HttpRequest..ctor(String req)
   at bc.JRMediaCenter.WebServer.HttpRequest..ctor(String req, EndPoint endPoint)
   at bc.JRMediaCenter.Plugin.MainInterface.OnReadComplete(OperationArgs args)
   at bc.JRMediaCenter.WebServer.Connection.ReadAsync(Int32 bufferLength, Boolean useTcpIpBuffering, Int32 networkLatency, OperationCallback readComplete, Object state)
   at bc.JRMediaCenter.Plugin.MainInterface._wserver_OnConnect(Connection clientConnection)
   at bc.JRMediaCenter.WebServer.Server.StartListen()

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 08:55:58 pm »

I think I know what's going on... When you say that you had another server running on the same IP address, it must have used cookies. I assume that the HTTP Remote control server is having trouble differentiating the cookie values.

I'll apply a fix to the code - but it may take a day or two.

In the mean time, clearing your cookies in your browser/s should let you in.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2009, 11:03:18 pm »

OK - so I had some spare time today...  Version 0.5.3 has been released.

Please see here for changes.

You can download the newest version from here.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 11:59:46 pm »

I've just released Version 0.6.0 - which adds some major enhancements

The biggest of which is: the application is now fully Zone aware. It has the ability to control across multiple zones, and sync across any number of zones. It also supports different clients pointing to different zones (rather than all being based on one zone).

Zone management features are automaically enabled if your MC has more than one zone set up.

Please see here for the full list od changes.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 10:37:12 pm »

I've just released Version 0.7.0

This version adds support for "stop" options. This takes a cue from the MC "Stop after current file", and adds more functionality. It is fully implemented on the server, and is zone aware (e.g. Stop Zone 1 after 2 tracks, stop Zone 2 in 10 minutes)

Please see here for the full list of changes.

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My Karma ran over my Dogma
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 03:38:35 pm »

Great app for my iPhone. Best I have seen so far.
Search function works great which gets around my need to browse a long list of artists.
However, when search comes up with something, how do I get it to play when not on a full screen browser?
I see how to do it in Firefox by right-click but how would I do that in Safari on my iPhone?

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 05:42:33 pm »

Search function works great which gets around my need to browse a long list of artists.

Thanks!

I see how to do it in Firefox by right-click but how would I do that in Safari on my iPhone?

Currently there's no way to do this. The 'small devices' UI is still very much a work in progress - and it's hard or me to test for iPhone, as I don't have one.

There definitely a big demand for this - I'll put some more thought into the best way to make it all happen.

Thanks for your feedback - help me set some goals for a full version release!

nuvira

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 05:25:54 pm »

However, when search comes up with something, how do I get it to play when not on a full screen browser?

My Iphone safari can't get into MC HTTP server.
I typed my local IP 192.168.1.2, but no response.
Iphone s/w version is V2.2.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 07:16:31 pm »

I typed my local IP 192.168.1.2, but no response.

You need to ensure you put in the port number too (unless you configure the server for port 80 - which is the standard web port)

The server runs on 8080 by default, so you'd type:

http://192.168.1.2:8080/

nuvira

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 09:19:02 pm »

I got it. It was my Firewall setting too. Great job ! I love it !
thanks. ;D ;D

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2009, 01:03:18 am »

I've just released Version 0.8.0

This is a pretty major upgrade, highlights are:

• This version includes a major rework of some UI elements to (hopefully) make the website more small device / iPhone friendly. Most noticeable is that the treeviews have all been replaced with a new 'Slider UI' - which is similar in functionality to the iPhone list UI. Please let me know what you think...
  • I've also added a 'sleep timer' to save network traffic when your media isn't playing.
  • There's also a few fixes for the 'AutoComplete' functionality on the editing screens
  • I've also added the ability to add individual client IP addresses as 'trusted' so they don't have to log on - even if a server password is set. Usefull if you use the server both within a home network and exposed on the internet.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 01:05:13 am »

There's a fix for this in version 0.8.0

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2009, 01:37:33 am »

I've just released Version 0.8.1

This is mainly a bug fix release, and has a tweak to the Slider UI (removed the need for double clicking to drill down)

[/quote]

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 11:27:55 pm »

I have been working to get the Library server working, and I finally got it.  Well, i know it works from outside my local network, but I haven't tested it from work yet, but I'm hopeful it will work fine.

I wanted to get this installed as well to allow me to remotely update my library, in real time.  I'm playing with it at home, and it looks quite nice.  I've only just clicked around and taken a look so to speak, but have played a few files, and looked thru options.  It looks like this is a quite nice addition to the MC family of functionality; great job.

I am wondering if I'm missing out on something.  I seem to be able to control the library just fine, but I am only controlling what is being heard on the local machine's speakers.  I don't see any way to route the sound to the machine controlling the library.

I have the library server loaded and can play/use/whatever just fine, and this works simultaneously, but against different files.  the library can be played independently from the client side, from what the server is playing.

I was hoping for a way to use this interface to control the library server AND allow me to make changes to my library.  It seems I can't do this, but I may be just missing the "how" part.

I'm guessing this was built for other uses and was not designed to do what I'm asking, but I'm hoping there is a way this might be adapted to allow what I describe (controlling the library server from the client machine and allowing ACTUAL CONTROL of the library for editing).

Am I missing it, or is it not possible with this?
pretend this is something funny

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 11:39:29 pm »

In more experimenting to see if I could at least use it as a simple means to update files while using the server to control the MC that I hear; I did a search and see that only the Name, Artist & Album are displayed on the site.

I went to the options on the server and added a few fields and also noticed that a few other fields are shown as standard.  i saved, stopped the service, then restarted.

I refreshed on the client browser and the fields I added were not visible.

I checked the other tabs and didn't see the fields I added in options.

I then right clicked a file in the search window and saw options, one of which was edit.  When I clicked on that, it immediately disconnected the server, per the icon in the top right.

so, I'm at a loss for updating the library.

Any advice/suggestions?

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 07:41:34 pm »

I was hoping for a way to use this interface to control the library server AND allow me to make changes to my library.  It seems I can't do this, but I may be just missing the "how" part.

Hi Justin,

What you are looking for CAN be done - to a limited extent.

The remote control software does not do media streaming, as that is already built into Media Center itself. There is a way to tie Romote media serving into the remote control software, (so that you can edit files playing via the server, on the machine that they are being served to), but it needs some explanation, especially around it's limitations. I'll write something up on my web site and let you know when it's done.

In more experimenting to see if I could at least use it as a simple means to update files while using the server to control the MC that I hear; I did a search and see that only the Name, Artist & Album are displayed on the site.

The 'playing now' (the first tab) is the only one which is "fields configuration" aware - and it only shows the 'standard' fields; all of the list screens use Name, Artist, Album only. I am looking to upgrade the software to make this configurable.

Sounds like you are having some trouble with some of the downloaded files - I'd suggest you do a 'refresh' on your browser to get everytthing again. The 'disconnected' notice occurs when any error occurs.

When you're up and running, you simply click the text of a field on the "playing now" screen and it will turn into an editable field.

N.B. - "Playing Now" relates to what is playing on the server.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 11:22:11 pm »

thanks for the insight and the hope that I may be able to do what I am hoping for, limitations included :)

I will keep an eye here for any updates you can provide.

Also, it sounds in your second explanation that I can't currently search for a file that the library is serving me inside MC on the remote machine, and when the search returns the result, I can't edit the fields in that search window. 

However, I guess I could start it playing and then edit whatever fields in the playing now window, after it started.  Not the most elegant, but I suppose it would work, at least until you can write up what you described above.

I love how writing out things sometime jiggles the key to an idea.

thanks.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 05:37:26 am »

I've just released Version 0.8.2

The biggest addition is the 'Remote Edit' page, which is a screen optimised for editing files served via the MC Library server. See here for configuration and setup details.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2009, 01:16:17 am »

I've just released Version 0.9.0

This is a major UI rework. The web site now fully supports the jQuery theme switcher. i.e. you can choose the look of the site. No need to go with the default blue on white colour scheme!

I've also removed all context menu (right click) functionality - as it was a little counter-intuitive.

I've also reworked the 'small screen' UI to hopefully make it a little more performant.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
Re: HTTP Remote Control - version 0.9.0 released
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2009, 04:27:42 am »

This is a great plugin and very useful. I can't seem to get past the 'a' artists. I get the message

... Max tree list limit reached ...

Is there a way to get the next page / increase the limit.

Thanks

Ross

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2009, 04:34:12 am »

Sorry, found it in the options.

Great plugin....

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2009, 03:20:44 pm »

Only just trying this out now for the first time. Nice work!
. . . the game is rigged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up