INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PvdImport plugin now released!  (Read 50504 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
PvdImport plugin now released!
« on: May 28, 2009, 01:40:40 pm »

The PvdImport plugin has now been released.

Here follow the first three chapters in PvdImport's software user manual. You can read the rest of the user manual under "Services & Plugins" and PvdImport in MC after you have installed the plugin.

-------------------------
1. About PvdImport

Personal Video Database (PVD) is a program which pulls metadata and posters for movies and TV shows from online sources (imdb, amg and others) - http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/

PvdImport helps in getting data from the PVD database into MC, allowing us to match PVD fields with fields in MC.

2. Acknowledgements

Thanks to Rick.ca, Darichman and )p( for helping me test PvdImport and for providing very useful suggestions indeed.

3. Installation and Requirements

o Install the plugin msi from here. On Vista/Win7, you probably should run the installer as Administrator.
o Install firebird 2.1.2 server with default settings from here  You need to install the version with desription "Windows executable installer for full Classic or Superserver, recommended for first-time users"
o Install PVD from here (There's a link called "Installer" there)

[...]

------------------
5. Version History

o Fixed crash: Missing PVD database file would crash MC .

o Fixed crash: Remove .tlb file, add interop.dll .

o PvdImport now also runs with MC14

o Cosmetic changes to SUM
o Minor changes in field configuration file

raldo

Re: PvdImport plugin now released!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 01:43:48 pm »

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:30:32 pm »

looks promising..

will this work with the collectorz program? i have all movies setup through that.. or would i need a different program?

TY

raldo

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:51:16 pm »

looks promising..

will this work with the collectorz program? i have all movies setup through that.. or would i need a different program?

TY

You will need to install Personal Video Database. See above.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:56:07 pm »

aww ok
TY

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 02:07:48 am »

will this work with the collectorz program?

Maybe this topic will help get you started: Importing from Movie Collector.

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 02:16:16 pm »

It would be nice if JRiver had a currency format option for related fields.

Yes, it would. The accountant in me can't stand currency symbols, but really wants all numbers to have a '000 separator and be right-aligned.

My compromise is to use an expression column like FormatNumber(Math([Budget.]/1000000),0). This at least reduces the data to significant digits (except for low-budget movies, which end up being "0"), making them visually comparable. Unfortunately, FormatNumber only seems to handle the display of decimals. Along with '000 and alignment, it might handle negative numbers (i.e., "-xxx" or "(xxx)") and perhaps default to Windows regional settings.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 01:59:25 am »

Yes, it would. The accountant in me can't stand currency symbols, but really wants all numbers to have a '000 separator and be right-aligned.

Oh dear.  ;)

I've been meaning to get the ratings into a five star format too.... so many things, so little time!

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 03:16:51 am »

I thought I already gave you that one... ;D

Code: [Select]
=If(IsEqual(Math(4-IsEmpty([Rating.IMDb],1)-IsEmpty([Rating.Other],1)-IsEmpty([Rating.User],1)-IsEmpty([Rating.AllMovie],1)),0),0, Math(Math(If(IsEmpty([Rating.IMDb]),0,Field(Rating.IMDb)) + If(IsEmpty([Rating.Other]),0,Field(Rating.Other)) + If(IsEmpty([Rating.User]),0,Field(Rating.User)*2) + If(IsEmpty([Rating.AllMovie]),0,Field(Rating.AllMovie))) // Math(5-IsEmpty([Rating.IMDb],1)-IsEmpty([Rating.Other],1)-IsEmpty([Rating.User],1)*2-IsEmpty([Rating.AllMovie],1))*.5+.5))

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 05:04:31 am »

Well so you did... haha Rick you always seem just a step ahead sometimes ;)

Cheers mate

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 03:13:32 pm »

Just a heads up, the plugin doesn't work with MC14, although there's probably not a lot we can do about that at the moment... when you install it into the MC14 plugin directory it doesn't appear in the plugin manager (and you can't import the *.dll's manually either). Have you locked it to a particular version? Other interface plugins I had installed for 13 were picked up automatically by 14. Looks like I'll be version hopping for a bit! - but I can definitely justify it to use this great plugin.

Raldo, when might we expect an update to the plugin so it can be installed to MC 14? Are we going to need to test it, or is it just a matter of you providing an installer?

Daydream

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 02:10:36 pm »

Any news on this? It seems like there are 3342 (joking! :)) absolute paths to PvdImport for MC13 in registry, pointing to the plugin. Is there more that needs changing?

raldo

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 06:21:36 am »

I'll have a new release out soon. It'll include an auto update function.

evsol

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 11:07:40 am »

WOOHOOO! Can't wait! This is a fantastic plugin and not having to have both MC13 and MC14 up and running to transfer information back and forth would be fantastic!

raldo

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 03:10:16 pm »

Hello, PvdImport for MC14 is now ready. See the top post for download link. I'll try to keep versions backwards compatible with MC13.

There are no extra features in this version. An auto update function is in progress, but I'll need some software changes in PVD for this functionality to work properly.

If you're interested in the progress of this feature, check out the PVD forum at http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?board=10.0

------------------
5. Version History

o PvdImport now also runs with MC14

o Cosmetic changes to SUM
o Minor changes in field configuration file

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 09:17:59 pm »

Whenever I activate this plugin , it immediately crashes mc14, firebird is running, where can i start looking to find what ive done wrong?

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 09:36:50 pm »

You haven't done anything wrong. It's happening to me too. I haven't been able to figure out why, but I suspect it has something to do with it trying to handle both MC 13 and 14. Do you have MC 13 installed, and was the previous version of the plugin installed there?

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 09:46:23 pm »

yes, and yes :) i love this plugin!(not being sarcastic)

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 09:57:14 pm »

ive uninstalled 13, and reinstalled pvdimport, and no change.
then completely uninstalled pvdimport, reinstalled with only 14 on the system, no cange

rick.ca

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 01:11:19 am »

I did exactly the same thing. So now we're both completely without PvdImport. Hopefully, raldo will be able to fix it soon.

Raldo, let me know if a log file would be helpful.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 01:15:09 am »

Indeed! Raldo, anything you need from me, just say the word!!

raldo

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 03:37:18 am »

I'll take a look at it over the weekend sometimes.

It works on my system: XP, both 13&14 installed.

Can you please list the files in the PvdImport folder?

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 03:46:16 am »

firebirdsql.data.firebirdclent.dll
media center 13.tlb
pvdimport.dll
pvdimport.tlb
pvdimportconfiguration.xml
pvdimoprtcontextmenu.exe
pvdimportfieldconfg.xml
softwareusermanual.txt
util.dll

Daydream

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 04:23:01 am »

I didn't have anything prior, just a fresh MC14 install on a fresh Win7 RC install. Once installed the plugin shows a complete black screen where the querries/selections/results/buttons etc were supposed to be. If I click in that black area MC crashes immediately. If I don't do anything, not even going by Services & Plug-ins, MC crashes within 10-15 sec. from start.

raldo

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 04:40:32 am »

media center 13.tlb
That's probably the perpetrator.

For some reason, this file isn't deployed on my system, mediacenter.interop.dll is deployed instead.

Can someone else verify that the .tlb file is present, as opposed to the abovementioned .dll file?

evsol

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 12:20:38 pm »

Yes...the Media Center 13.tlb file is on my 14 plugins folder also...same thing as the others...I was able to disable it though before MC crashed...MC works with the plugin disabled.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 12:32:14 pm »

I didn't have anything prior, just a fresh MC14 install on a fresh Win7 RC install. Once installed the plugin shows a complete black screen where the querries/selections/results/buttons etc were supposed to be. If I click in that black area MC crashes immediately. If I don't do anything, not even going by Services & Plug-ins, MC crashes within 10-15 sec. from start.

Same thing here, MC just shows a black screen and then crashes.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 10:53:53 pm »

I may have found the issue. maybe it just wasnt updated, but the txt file in this version says it is 1.1.0, not 1.1.1, which seems to be the version with 14 compatibility, no?

raldo

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 06:24:44 am »

Trouble with versions 1.1.x reported here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52711.0

raldo

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 10:08:51 am »

o Fixed crash: Missing PVD database file would crash MC .

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 01:09:30 am »

Hi guys. Total noob here. Have read all the posts but I can't figure this out ... The problem is I don't appear to have a "pvd" database file anywhere on my system.  As a result, whenever I try to use the plugin I get a "failed to connect to database" error. I've uninstalled and re-installed PVD several times.  I have a "Personal Video Database" folder in my docs and settings directory (which is where I understand it should be) but this folder is completely empty.

How do I obtain this missing file?

Thanks in advance.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

rick.ca

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 02:04:43 am »

The problem is I don't appear to have a "pvd" database file anywhere on my system.

If you've created a database with PVD, then the database file is either in the default location, or wherever else you may have saved it. The path appears in the title bar of PVD. Enter this in the PvdImport configuration.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 09:36:38 pm »

Raldo, this is amazing work! Thanks so much - you've taken MC to the next level for me. I spent about a week playing around with the MC, Excel, PVD combo before stumbling across this plug-in. I'm so happy with it that I'd readily send you a donation.

raldo

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 10:35:17 am »

Raldo, this is amazing work! Thanks so much - you've taken MC to the next level for me. I spent about a week playing around with the MC, Excel, PVD combo before stumbling across this plug-in. I'm so happy with it that I'd readily send you a donation.

Thanks!

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2009, 07:13:46 am »

I can't get this to work.

First of all, the actual program PVD. It seems to close a lot on its own without me telling it too. Then, when I try to reopen it, it can't "open the database"  I suspect because it was never closed. The only way I can reopen the database is a reboot.

But now that I have actually used the program to create my database, I don't know how to use the PVDImport plugin. I've got it to show up in MC, but I don't get this Firebird tool. I execute it and it just gives me a DOS prompt. I've got all my movies in my PVD database, but I am trying to use this importer to overlay the information into my database. When I go to the plugin, I don't know which options to set.  In the status window down below it says something about "Failed to open database (when retrieving filenames) Unable to complete network request to host "localhost"

I pick the movie 21 Grams to "test" with. I select the .avi file, and I know I have "21 Grams" in my PVD database. However when I run the test import on it, it says "Failed to retrieve filenames. Connection must be valid and open. Could not find file in PVD. Exiting..."

raldo

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 03:50:40 am »

(1) Is Firebird server up and running? In taskmanager under processes, check if fbguard.exe and fbserver.exe are running. That's a place to start.

(2) If firebird is up, can you check to see if Personal Video Database (PVD) has managed to create a database? There should be a file called movies.pvd under C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\My Documents\Personal Video Database.

In general, you must get PVD and the server up and running for the PvdImport plugin to work...

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2009, 06:55:20 am »

i installed firebird and run it (the isql tool? it seems to be the only thing to run in firebird from the start menu?) however neither of those 2 processes that you mentioned are running
i do have the pvd file in the right place.

raldo

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2009, 07:25:42 am »

however neither of those 2 processes that you mentioned are running
Yup, that explains it.

In my case, I downloaded Firebird 2.1.2 and installed the package with default settings (as indicated in the instructions in the first post of this thread). I've added an additional comment in this post, that you need to install the version with desription "Windows executable installer for full Classic or Superserver, recommended for first-time users".

On my system, the installed version has the file name Firebird-2.1.2.18118_0_Win32.exe

Is the abovementioned sw install the one you used?

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2009, 07:45:38 am »

Yes, this is the one I installed. I'm currently uninstalling and reinstalling it and I will try again... however, I don't expect to get anywhere. How am I supposed to get those 2 processes to run? If I just run the ISQL tool, they don't shpw up as running, and it's just a DOS prompt looking window that I don't know what to do with.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2009, 07:48:32 am »

Oh... although those 2 items do not appear in processes, they do appear as running in my "services" tab

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2009, 08:01:01 am »

okay i did not know that i had to manually associate my .avi and .mkv files with the movies within PVD.

now that i've done that for a couple, i tried to test it out once more. it seemed like it was going to work (it started processing) but then immediately Media Center caused an unexpected error and shut down.

raldo

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2009, 08:32:33 am »

okay i did not know that i had to manually associate my .avi and .mkv files with the movies within PVD.

now that i've done that for a couple, i tried to test it out once more. it seemed like it was going to work (it started processing) but then immediately Media Center caused an unexpected error and shut down.
So, it seems as if PVD has generated a database and your processes (services) are running. Good.

Can you please restart MC and write up exactly what the logger window on the plugin page says?

Also, try one file import while watching the login page. You can, for example, split the right pane in two: one for movies and the other for PvdImport. Do you see any text in the logger window before the crash?

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2009, 08:56:15 am »

So, it seems as if PVD has generated a database and your processes (services) are running. Good.

Can you please restart MC and write up exactly what the logger window on the plugin page says?

Also, try one file import while watching the login page. You can, for example, split the right pane in two: one for movies and the other for PvdImport. Do you see any text in the logger window before the crash?

When I restart MC, it just says Plugin Initiated OK

I'll email you a screenshot of what I get after I try a test if you'll send me your email address as I don't think I can post attachments on this forum. However, it just says Processing: filename ...

raldo

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2009, 09:12:33 am »

When I restart MC, it just says Plugin Initiated OK
Ok, that indicates that the PvdImport plugin found and was able to load all the necessary files.

But, just to double check: you are able to manage movies in PVD?

And: does your pvd configuration file (found in: C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\Personal Video Database\pvdconf.ini) have an Application section that looks similar to mine:

[Application]
Version=9009011

[DataBase]
Network=1
FileName=..\..\Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd
Mode=0
RecentFiles=
RecentTypes=

Warning: use notepad.exe for editing and saving this file! some editors mangle the special characters Nostra used to code some of the settings in this file!

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2009, 09:29:16 am »

Ok, that indicates that the PvdImport plugin found and was able to load all the necessary files.

But, just to double check: you are able to manage movies in PVD?

And: does your pvd configuration file (found in: C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\Personal Video Database\pvdconf.ini) have an Application section that looks similar to mine:

[Application]
Version=9009011

[DataBase]
Network=1
FileName=..\..\Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd
Mode=0
RecentFiles=
RecentTypes=

Warning: use notepad.exe for editing and saving this file! some editors mangle the special characters Nostra used to code some of the settings in this file!

Yes, I can manage movies in PVD. I can't find that ini file. I am using Windows 7, but when I tried this on a Vista machine, I had the same issue. I will go back and try it on Vista.
EDIT: Before I do that, I found the ini file in Windows 7, it was in the roaming application data folder. this is what i see:

[Application]
Version=9009011

[DataBase]
Network=0
FileName=
Mode=0
RecentFiles=
RecentTypes=

raldo

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2009, 09:35:20 am »

Hey Steve,

I think that the fact that PvdImport reports "Plugin Initiated OK" and "Processing [file]..." indicates that the plugin manages to connect to the server but it cannot query the server.

Can you please email me the firebird log? You can find the log at "C:\Program Files\FbServer\Firebird.log"

raldo

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2009, 12:08:49 pm »

Well, there's nothing in that log which explains this isssue. I'm also getting the "INET/inet_error: read errno = 10054" messages, so we'll have to assume that's not related.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2009, 12:16:38 pm »

I think I may have got a workaround in Windows Vista. Time will tell. But I still can't quite figure it out in Windows 7. I will post more details when I have more time. Thanks for your help.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2009, 02:01:29 pm »

doh, didn't work in either Vista (MC13 or MC 14) or 7 (MC 14). I'm at a dead end :( MC still just dies when I try to test a single file.

raldo

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2009, 02:11:15 pm »

doh, didn't work in either Vista (MC13 or MC 14) or 7 (MC 14). I'm at a dead end :( MC still just dies when I try to test a single file.

Are you an administrator? Is MC run with administrative privileges?

Can you double check the plugin version (Plugin manager/interfaceplugins)?

AND! Back to my question on your pvdconf.ini file: Is the network key still set to 0 (Network=0) ? As far as I understand, this means that PVD doesn't use SQL server but an embedded server. If that's true, then PVD will work but not PvdImport.

You should be able to fix this in PVD by choosing File"Connect to server" and then pointing to the PVD database file.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up